Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can I claim?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I'm in my first year of business as a sole trader. I bought a van a few months ago and what I'm wondering is how much of the cost of the van can I claim as an expense in my first year. I bought the van straight out, no finance. It cost about 5K before VAT.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dooloo

As with most assets, you get capital allowances on the van over an 8 year period. Hence you will get tax relief of €625 per year.

Handy advice for when buying assets is to lease them instead of buying them outright or via bank loan as you will then get tax relief over the term of the lease. i.e. if you buy a car with a 36 month lease, you will get tax relief of €1,667 per year for three years. Same tax relief overall but you get it quicker.

Advertisement