Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scone recipe please!

Options
  • 02-05-2008 7:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got loads of baking stuff in my cupboard that I want to use up, and I'd like to make scones. Can anyone give me a straightforward recipe for sweet scones? I've googled, but they all involve sour cream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not a fan of sweet scones but my mother uses Darina Allen's recipe and they're nice with loads of butter.
    Mummy's Sweet White Scones

Makes 18-20 scones using a 72 cm (3inch) cutter
    900g (2lb) plain white flour
    170g (6oz) butter
    3 free range eggs
    pinch of salt
    55g (2oz) castor sugar
    3 heaped teaspoons baking powder
    450ml (15floz) approx. milk to mix
    For glaze:
    egg wash
    granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of the scones

First preheat the oven to 250C/475F/gas 9.

Sieve all the dry ingredients together in a large wide bowl. Cut the butter into cubes, toss in the flour and rub in the butter. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the eggs with the milk, add to the dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured board. Knead lightly, just enough to shape into a round. Roll out to about 22cm (1inch) thick and cut or stamp into scones. Put onto a baking sheet – no need to grease. Brush the tops with egg wash and dip each one in granulated sugar. Bake in a hot oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

janeybabe wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of sweet scones but my mother uses Darina Allen's recipe and they're nice with loads of butter.

just be careful of some of her recipes as the liquid can be a little to much, add the milk in parts to get the consistency you want, great recipe though:) .

some good quality raisins or current work really well

also don't over work the dough to much as it can knock out some of the gas, minimal is best

That's true. I don't think I've ever used the amount of liquid specified in any recipe, Darina Allen or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They are also great for freezing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Janeybabe, that's exactly the recipe I was looking for, thanks! It's the one I use at home, but had forgotten.

• Advertisement

You're very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i like scones. only just (10 mins) out of the oven and breaking all crumbly all over the place when you try to butter those bad boys. mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Tip - Use buttermilk to make the best scones ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't made scones for ages but now you've reminded me I'll make some today.

The Odlums website is great for basic recipes like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NYC_Expat

I agree with Dizzyblonde, the wholemeal scone recipe on the Odlums' site http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=wholemeal-scones makes good healthier scones but you need to use their flours because there are raising agents in their cream flour already and watch the baking time or they can get overcooked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement