Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which tyres to get and where to get them?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to replace my tyres. I've been looking at chain reaction but all the tyres seem to be out of stock. I would like a set that are 700x23c and are puncture resistant. I use my bike for commuting and would like a decent enough set. Chain reaction seem to have a good few tyres at about €20 each which sounds reasonable.

What are the continental Ultra Sport tyres like? (The kevlar ones are out of stock) :(

Or would anyone like to link me to a better set of tyres?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For commuting, get Continental Gatorskins. Great puncture protection and they roll pretty well for a tyre of that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Indeed, Gatorskins. I got mine from Wiggle. Ideal for commuting so far. Roll (and corner!) better than Armadillos. Think I would still say Armadillos for casual commuters though, as they are indestructable. INDESTRUCTABLE. I literally rode through broken glass for YEARS while LAUGHING. (In the AH HA HA, "try what you will" sense.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What are Vittoria Rubino tyres like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

blorg wrote: »
    Think I would still say Armadillos for casual commuters though, as they are indestructable. INDESTRUCTABLE. I literally rode through broken glass for YEARS while LAUGHING. (In the AH HA HA, "try what you will" sense.)

am i only the only person in history who has gotten a puncture on one of them.
    i use them on my winter training road bike not great performance wise but you have to be very unlucky to get a puncture on a pair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    What are Vittoria Rubino tyres like?

I have a pair on my commute bike. Fine for the job. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't race on them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I use Rubino Pro all the time. Great tyres. Bought pair with tubes included for £28 with Wiggle a few weeks ago. 25mm lot more comfortable than 23's if commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I got a puncture on my rear Armadillo. I was quite surprised because they were only a few months old at the time. I think it was a pretty large shard of glass that did it, but that sort of thing isn't exactly unusual on the streets of Doublin'.
    E@gle. wrote: »
    am i only the only person in history who has gotten a puncture on one of them.
    i use them on my winter training road bike not great performance wise but you have to be very unlucky to get a puncture on a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Bought a set of gator skins with tubes for £30 from wiggle. Thanks a mil for all the recommendations :D

Advertisement