Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shots for SE Asia

• 02-05-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hey

Gonna be in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in June/July...
    Anyone know what kind of shots I would need, How much they would cost and where to get them?!

Also are Malaria tablets necessary?
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

you can get them in a topical medical bur. goole tmb for the one nearest you. they know they're stuff. if you're going to rural parts a good deal you'll be at higher risk. you'll need to get busy and make some appointments though, its better to spread them out. off the top of my head hep b, hep a, typhoid, tetanus, diphtheria and rabies. that last ones debatable (my college doctor refused to give it to me for travelling rural for two months but the tmb thought it was madness not to). malaria tablets will be very necessary for that list of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

the tmb will tell you if you need malaria tablets. it depends on what parts of the country your going to really. i dont bother with them myself, dont like having to take tablets everyday and theyre expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I'm not really going to be spending too much time in Rural parts I think. In Cambodia it will be Siam Reap and Phnom Penh.

Seems like the TMB have the market pretty much sewn up so guess will have to go with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

siem reap is a maleria area btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sorry for the late reply

I too have to get these shots for traveling. My local GP can do them.
    I know the TMB will try and get you every shot under the sun so would like to avoid them if possible.

Recommended For All Travellers
    Tetanus
    Typhoid
    Hepatitis A
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Japanese B Encephalitis
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Diphtheria

I suppose my question is does one have to get all the shots they want you to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I was out there recently and one of my mates found he had left his malaria tablets at home when he we were Bangkok airport waiting for our connecting flight to Laos. He went into a Boots in the place and picked up a load of doxycycline for almost next to nothing - its cheaper again in the towns. I'm not sure if you can get Malarone there, but anyway the point I'm trying to make is that it's so much cheaper over there, and doesn't require a prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I was out there recently and one of my mates found he had left his malaria tablets at home when he we were Bangkok airport waiting for our connecting flight to Laos. He went into a Boots in the place and picked up a load of doxycycline for almost next to nothing - its cheaper again in the towns. I'm not sure if you can get Malarone there, but anyway the point I'm trying to make is that it's so much cheaper over there, and doesn't require a prescription.

I've lost the link now but there's a roaring trade in counterfeit drugs in SE Asia. I wouldn't be confident buying malaria tablets over there, even from Boots.

jank wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply

I too have to get these shots for traveling. My local GP can do them.
    I know the TMB will try and get you every shot under the sun so would like to avoid them if possible.

Recommended For All Travellers
    Tetanus
    Typhoid
    Hepatitis A
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Japanese B Encephalitis
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Diphtheria

I suppose my question is does one have to get all the shots they want you to get?

Ended up going to TMB in the end. Didn't get meningitis or rabies. Total cost including consultation was 205e.

What diseases did that cover?

What diseases did that cover?

Tetanus, Dipht, polio, hep a and b, typhoid. Think that's it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

cashback wrote: »
    Tetanus, Dipht, polio, hep a and b, typhoid. Think that's it...

got those exact vaccinations last week at my local gp. price came to e128. have to call back for malarone prescription on fri tho, that will prob cost another 23/30e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I've lost the link now but there's a roaring trade in counterfeit drugs in SE Asia. I wouldn't be confident buying malaria tablets over there, even from Boots.

Interesting, good to know

surfjunkie wrote: »
    got those exact vaccinations last week at my local gp. price came to e128. have to call back for malarone prescription on fri tho, that will prob cost another 23/30e
    Malarone costs €4 per tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

Malarone costs €4 per tablet.
    i meant 25e for the prescription itself. have to go and purchase malarone then. i knew it was expensive but sigh... 4e per tablet?

surfjunkie wrote: »
    i meant 25e for the prescription itself. have to go and purchase malarone then. i knew it was expensive but sigh... 4e per tablet?
    Yeah I know it's a bitch alright. If you're on the Drugs Payment Scheme (which you probably are) then you only have to shell out €80 (I think) max for all your medication in any given month and malarone is covered so it's not all bad.

Are the shots themselves covered in this scheme?

Are the shots themselves covered in this scheme?

I think it only covers prescribed medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I think it only covers prescribed medication.

Yup, prescription only fraid...
    You can pick up anti malarial tabs over there but I personally chose to get it all before I left as didn't want to take chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

Heading to S.E.Asia next year after my stay in Oz and America,
    going to order my prescription tomorrow,
    and thinking i only really need hepa+b,typhoid,dipth and tetanus.
    i dont think there is really a need for
    Rabies
    Tuberculosis
    Japanese B Encephalitis
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    as im not planning on heading to far into the wilderness and only going to be relaxing in Laos/Vietnam/Thailand and Cambodia when i arrive back from Oz.
    am i being stupid or is that the best option?

No I think that's fine tbh. I got rabies in a fit of madness two years ago but it was unnecessary really. But obviously consult a pro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

Yeah i ordered them today,
    nurse said i was prob better off going with polio to just in case,
    but as polio/tetunus/diptheria come in one it was all grand,
    cost me €258 just for the prescription though, ffs
    Sister works in the pharmacy though so hopefully i should get some money off them.

Advertisement