Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Cmod or a admin do this?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

I got a pm today and i didnt recongise the user, so i did a search for "all posts or threads by this user" and nothing came up, for some reason i was suspect of the pm before i opened it - dont know why...

So i wondering whats in it, i dont think its a virus or anything because as far a si know you cant get one though a text pm so ive been thinkng why someone would create an account just to send a pm and it would have to be annoying me so im thinkng maybe a BSG spoiler or something to piss me off? or someone just dealing a rake load of abuse which would be funny to read.

Still i dont want to risk it ruining a show/movie for me so can a mod/admin look at a users pm box is the question?
    I know admin dont like people having multiple accounts, I was thinking they could look at it and then if its not a spoiler let me know?

The curosity of what it is is killing me...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No mods can view a user's inbox, only admins.

Now, if someone's sending people PM's and they've 0 post count, it's pretty much guaranteed to be spam. I doubt anyone's going to ruin something for you, so you can just look at it, and if it's spam, report the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I dont even think that admins are able to do this freely... They would have to either go running through the database looking for the pm or they would have to access your account themselves. I dont think vbulletin offers a feature where admins can freely access your pms... or can they?

if a user doesn't appear to have any posts, they probably don't, thats probably means that it's spam. I don't get it on Boards, but I get it on a lot of other forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

User: lol you are such a nerd :p ---> LEE DIES!!!!

seriously just be a brave little toaster and crack it open

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

nevf wrote: »
    I dont even think that admins are able to do this freely... They would have to either go running through the database looking for the pm or they would have to access your account themselves. I dont think vbulletin offers a feature where admins can freely access your pms... or can they?

if a user doesn't appear to have any posts, they probably don't, thats probably means that it's spam. I don't get it on Boards, but I get it on a lot of other forums...

There is a plug-in for vbulletin to allow this , not sure if its installed on boards though....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Overheal wrote: »
    User: lol you are such a nerd :p ---> LEE DIES!!!!

seriously just be a brave little toaster and crack it open
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I have not seen the latest episode yet.

If Lee dies, I'm coming for you.

/takes blue pill to enter real world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I doubt anyone's going to ruin something for you, so you can just look at it, and if it's spam, report the user.

Wrong, loads of people were PM'ing spoilers before the final Harry Potter book came out. I got one. Luckily I realised after the first few words and closed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Faith wrote: »
    Wrong, loads of people were PM'ing spoilers before the final Harry Potter book came out. I got one. Luckily I realised after the first few words and closed it.

Yes, well that's a rather special case, what's out now that has such a gigantic cultural impact as Harry Potter?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got this PM from a user who only registered yesterday and has no posts
    This blog is EIGHT years old and not a word posted.

And you are a moderator? :confused:

But then again it arrived an hour after I banned someone else for 3 months. Its a no brainer

Yea sadly it was on the front page of google news: the bit about dumbledore that is - before i finished reading it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Overheal wrote: »
    Yea sadly it was on the front page of google news: the bit about dumbledore that is - before i finished reading it :p

1/ Dead
    2/ A woman
    3/ Harry & Harmonies illegitimate love child sent from the future in a vague Terminator style twist

Just read the start of the pm, if it is a spoiler sell the plot to "The Sun"

• Advertisement

no the dumbledore bit. not that damaging a spoiler really.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

User45701 wrote: »
    I got a pm today and i didnt recongise the user, so i did a search for "all posts or threads by this user" and nothing came up, for some reason i was suspect of the pm before i opened it - dont know why...

So i wondering whats in it, i dont think its a virus or anything because as far a si know you cant get one though a text pm so ive been thinkng why someone would create an account just to send a pm and it would have to be annoying me so im thinkng maybe a BSG spoiler or something to piss me off? or someone just dealing a rake load of abuse which would be funny to read.

Still i dont want to risk it ruining a show/movie for me so can a mod/admin look at a users pm box is the question?
    I know admin dont like people having multiple accounts, I was thinking they could look at it and then if its not a spoiler let me know?

The curosity of what it is is killing me...
    OK:

Rollover the subject line of the pm and memorise the 7 digit ID of the private message.

Then make your browser window very small.

Then copy this into your browser:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&forward=1&pmid=

and add the number to the end of that string. Click go.

Scroll down until you see "Recipient Username(s)" - add my user name.

Then click the scroll wheel and look away and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit Submit Message.

That should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I must ask CuLT if he can include a smiley with the thanks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

As the ad says, may all your troubles be little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Gordon wrote: »
    OK:

Rollover the subject line of the pm and memorise the 7 digit ID of the private message.

Then make your browser window very small.

Then copy this into your browser:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&forward=1&pmid=

and add the number to the end of that string. Click go.

Scroll down until you see "Recipient Username(s)" - add my user name.

Then click the scroll wheel and look away and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit Submit Message.

That should do it!

That's pretty kind of you.

If it's his ex telling him she's got a bun in the oven, I'm sure you'll have fun breaking the news.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you are selling anything on Adverts.ie, it may be someone pming you about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I thought that too, but OP has no ads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Faith wrote: »
    I got one of those.
    It made me laugh as I have no interest in Harry Potter whatsoever.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Whats the username?

DeV.

Advertisement