Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Mobile Broadband modems for wireless network

Options
  • 02-05-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm wondering if anybody could advise me if is is possible to use the mobile broadband modems such as the ones by 3 or O2 with a wireless router to set up a wireless network?
    I was thinking that by using a USB2 to RJ45 adapter, this could provide the input to the router and allow the network to operate. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've seen linksys routers doing this with 3g pcmcia cards. Doing a quick search I see nothing about usb mobile broadband modems being supported. I doubt they will support them, the whole driver issue thing with different manufactuers of modems etc...
    You won't be able to use the modem with a standard router either using a usb to rj45 adapter, there would be no software to run the modem set user name password etc...

here's a link to the dlink products.
    clicky

and here's linksys
    clicky

Advertisement