Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Final: Zenit v Rangers

• 02-05-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Before i start, no ****e talk in this thread about secterism or Celtic/Rangers hatred etc it ruined the last thread for the people who want to discuss the games. if you wanna talk about it take it somewhere else.

Anyway, I love Zenit, have seen them play a couple of times, put a tenner on them at the start of the comp and am trying to get a ticket for the final, they're my second team after Liverpool.

After dominating Bayer Leverkusen 4-1 in the quarter-final, Zenit again over-powered a Bundesliga side and beat munich 4-0. They have to be favourites?

But its a massive masssive loss with Pavel Pogrebnyak getting a yelow card meaning he misses the final, considering he got 10goals in the comp this season.

FIrst Euro final for Zenit, hope they can win it :D

Comments

Zenit will murder them. It will be just like Sevilla vs Boro, men against boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Do they have Andrei Arshavin back? He's looked world class on the 2 or 3 occasions i've seen him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

How are zenith doing in their league? What the chances of seeing them in the champs league next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Wednesday, 14th May 2008 19:45 City of Manchester Stadium in case anybody wants to know

I hope Zenit win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Zenith are missing there top striker Pavel Pogrebnyak because he got a yellow card and is suspended for the final..That will be a big blow for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

If Zenit play least 50% good like yesterday against Bayern they will win with no doubt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Zenit will murder them. It will be just like Sevilla vs Boro, men against boys.

Dangerous words. Whatever happens, Rangers won't be murdered.

My money's on a Rangers win. They've come this far, this is practically a home fixture for them. I can't see any other result.

"Men against boys"... reminds me of when Souness said that once. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Their performance against Bayern was:

a) surprising;
    b) just a little scary;

I dunno, Rangers would need every player to have the game of their careers if they are to win. Could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zenit seem to have come out of nowhere (well St Petersburg), they are the top club in Russia these days and could afford to sell Martin Skrtel and not suffer any goal leakage. The domestic form is suffering though, they are only 11th right now with 6 games played 1 win 4 draws 1 loss but after the final that will change.

Rangers have advantage of playing a virtual home tie, but my money would be on Zenit.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think the home advantage will be big,manchester must be at least a couple of thousand miles from St. Petersburg as opposed to a couple of thousand metres from Ibrox. Also think that for all the talk of Arshavin, Cuellar will be the best player on the pitch.

It's also worth noting that Rangers have done very well when teams have come over and although it's not going to be the exact same as playing at home for Rangers, it'll probably be the biggest trip Zenith have had to make this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye Zenit wont bring a quater of the support Rangers will, Zenit are a lot like Liverpool in that they use the 12th man - massive support at their home games making a massive noise. Trust me ive experienced it first hand :cool:

Arshavin will be back for the game.

I think the fact Skertl joined liverpool, walked straight into the team and has been immense shows you how good a side they are and the type of quality platers they have. And tbh I watched a lot of SPb online and Skertl never stood out as one of their best players, which is why i was a little surpirsed Rafa sighned him.

Cant see Prognaback staying there much longer, im sure one of the bigger clubs wil be after him soon.

Zenit are a better team but ther better team doesnt always win in this situation. One thing for sure though is there will be plenty of tough tackels going around.

Anyone know who gets to wear the blue strip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Zenit will not rip Rangers apart that is for sure.
    Rangers will come with a game plan to stop Zenit and it will be up to Zenit to break Rangers down.

Seriously think Rangers will win 1nil or on penalties after a dour 120 mins of football without a show on target:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Zenit will win, their manager knows half of the Gers players from his time managing the club and they will get the first goal, forcing Gers to play with 7 men behing the ball:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Win for Rangers on penalties or last minute Davis screamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At least they've chose a great venue for it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Awwww....youve ruined my opportunity for another funny title! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Anyone going over for it? My ticket application was successful, flights and accomodation booked a month ago.
    Now I'm just worried about getting lynched outside COMS because of my accent

Anyone going over for it? My ticket application was successful, flights and accomodation booked a month ago.
    Now I'm just worried about getting lynched outside COMS because of my accent

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hopefully Zenith will win .
    Rangers are a very average side and their style of football is very negative and perhaps anti football.
    It will be a case of beauty versus the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Eirebear wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Roll your eyes all you want, but I've had mates of mine get beaten senseless in Glasgow simply because of being Irish and being over for a weekend, I'm not looking to be a statistic

• Advertisement

Roll your eyes all you want, but I've had mates of mine get beaten senseless in Glasgow simply because of being Irish and being over for a weekend, I'm not looking to be a statistic

Ive got an Irish accent....i go to ibrox most weeks.

This thread isnt about politicd, if you dont have a ticket and your so scared about going....then dont bother.

You can get plenty of ££££ for your final tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think Rangers to win 1-0 or else on penalties after 0-0.

Zenit played the game of their lives against Bayern, so hardly likely to play another game of their lives a few weeks later.

The quadruple for Rangers is looking a distinct possibility.

Well Well Well.....its almost here.

I dont know what to do with myself today, and im pretty damn sure tomorrow is gonna be even tougher.

No Manchester for me unfortunately but ill be able to watch it at Ibrox on one of the worlds 2 biggest TV screens with 25,000 other hopeful bears.

Its gonna be a long couple of days! :D

Quite funny listening to two guys on the train this morning

Bear 1 'Celtic claim they took 80,000 to Seville. I don't believe that'
    Bear 2 'We will take 150,000 to Manchester... easy'
    Bear 1 'When are you going?'
    Bear 2 'Tonight, our bus picks up a load at Motherwell on the way down'
    Bear 1 'Where are you staying?'
    Bear 2 ' On the bus!'

Reminded me of the anticipation and feelgood when we went to Seville. Hopefully people will not cause hassle and Rangers lose

I much prefer Seville to Manchester :)

Quite funny listening to two guys on the train this morning

Bear 1 'Celtic claim they took 80,000 to Seville. I don't believe that'
    Bear 2 'We will take 150,000 to Manchester... easy'
    Bear 1 'When are you going?'
    Bear 2 'Tonight, our bus picks up a load at Motherwell on the way down'
    Bear 1 'Where are you staying?'
    Bear 2 ' On the bus!'

Reminded me of the anticipation and feelgood when we went to Seville. Hopefully people will not cause hassle and Rangers lose

I much prefer Seville to Manchester :)

lol, there is a bit of a buzz about the place isnt there? :D

I honestly dont reckon there will be any real hassle, the bears have done well this year on their away trips ( i was quite worried about Florence TBH) and hopefully everyone will be celebrating another Anti-football success to make it all the sweeter.

As for Manchester V Seville....seville is obviously the prettier city to look at, but if the weather stays like this, i doubt anyone will care too much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I only saw Zenit in the semis but I was surprised and impressed. I think Rangers will win though as with the crowd they bring down it will be like a home game for them.

Friggin 'ell lads....where the celtic fans on here this nervous about seville?

Im an absolute quivering wreck tonight, ok ive got exams next week that are playing on my mind too....but this is unnatural, i honestly feel ill! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Cant wait for this, the Zenit jersey will getting worn tommorrow, still pissed off I couldnt get a ticket for manchester.

But on recent form Zenit aernt great, Zenit have played only six games of the current Russian League season. They have won one, drawn four and lost one. They have only one more point than the bottom two, who are the only clubs beneath them in the table.
    i think its cos they're concentrating on winning the UEFA cup though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Who are you backing, Zenit?

As for Glasgow, everyone in the whole city is nuts but bar one or two comments or unhelpfulness from older people everyone was sound as a pound. Id feel 50 times more anxious in a pub or nightclub in your average country town in Ireland than I would in Glasgow (mind you it was a trance/hardhouse spot, everyone was too "eckied" to care :p :pac: ). Having said that some drunks may have an issue with Irish lads going out of their way to fly over to support Zenit.

Backing Zenit obviously, although tbh the UEFA Cup isnt really of huge interest to me but I might give it a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

PDN wrote: »
    I think Rangers to win 1-0 or else on penalties after 0-0.

Zenit played the game of their lives against Bayern, so hardly likely to play another game of their lives a few weeks later.

The quadruple for Rangers is looking a distinct possibility.

Doubt the pensioners could last another 120 minutes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Eirebear wrote: »
    lol, there is a bit of a buzz about the place isnt there? :D

jaysus - Eirebear is Paul McStay! :eek:

:D

big b wrote: »
    jaysus - Eirebear is Paul McStay! :eek:

:D

:D I've got more trophies than Paul McStay!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Should be an interesting game. What i predict is Rangers to use the analogy "park a bus in front of their goal". Arshavin is the main threat tonight, it's a pity Prognbak(can't spell his name lol) is suspended their top goalscorer. If Zenit play like they did against Bayern, Rangers haven't a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Obviously I hope Zenit win, even though their fans are a nasty bunch as well.

0-0 and lottery in extra time I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hope Zenit win also, think Rangers will do it though.

Couple of quid down on a 1-0 Rangers win. Darcheville to get the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

PauloMN wrote: »
    Hope Zenit win also, think Rangers will do it though.

Couple of quid down on a 1-0 Rangers win. Darcheville to get the goal.

Tut tut, bad karma from any possible winning :)

Tut tut, bad karma from any possible winning :)

Don't worry, I'll... errmm... give it to charity. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Hope Zenit wipe the floor with them.

C'mon the commies. Long live the revolution! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Right then come on Zenith !!,

Going for Zenith for the dutch link in the form of Dick Advocaat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Come on Rangers, i'll be delighted if they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Im up for Zenith cause they gave us skrtel,also I hate Rangers.

Zenith on penos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not a bad opening 10min.

Ya its been quite good, I like watching Zenith, they certainly made a mockery of Bayern.

whats the channel of choice for everyone,ITV for me but can barely see the bloody players.Setanta and tv3 are no better:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If rahgers win it will be just as much of a crime against football as Liverpool winning the champions league 4 years ago or porto the year before, Anti-football should never be allowed to triumph.

Im watching it on ITV and the picture is fine

Seaneh wrote: »
    If rahgers win it will be just as much of a crime against football as Liverpool winning the champions league 4 years ago or porto the year before, Anti-football should never be allowed to triumph.

hold on,you cannot compare the football liverpool play to the way rangers play.

dc69 wrote: »
    hold on,you cannot compare the football liverpool play to the way rangers play.

He can, he can also say the sky is pink. He's wrong but can still say it.

Controversial!

But I can see where your coming from, Pool played very negatively until the final first time round what 3 years ago, different team now tho.

Rangers play really negatively , which is fairly hard to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement