Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Final: Zenit v Rangers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lets not turn this thread into a Old Firm one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did Pats progress from that tie? :rolleyes:

Watch the 3rd one :rolleyes: did it look like it mattered?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Feckin deleighted for zenit, was just talking to some friends over in St petersburg and the place is hopping as one would expect.

Ye and true about the Russian league, it would never make it cos of the weather, cos If I had choice to live anywhere in the world, St petersburg be top of my list (if the weather wasnt so ****e and cold!).

But fair play to them, a great team to watch, cant see Arshavin and Prognaback staying there to much longer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Whataboutery at it's finest

I'm sorry, I never reviewed the post and linked to the wrong video. It was suposed to be a bunch of footie fans acting like animals...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Feckin deleighted for zenit, was just talking to some friends over in St petersburg and the place is hopping as one would expect.

Ye and true about the Russian league, it would never make it cos of the weather, cos If I had choice to live anywhere in the world, St petersburg be top of my list (if the weather wasnt so ****e and cold!).

But fair play to them, a great team to watch, cant see Arshavin and Prognaback staying there to much longer though

Agreed. Now, the probelm is, because of the seasonsal change, the champs league is going to be in the middle of their off-season. Pity really - a fully flying zenit would be a very interesting addition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Watch the 3rd one :rolleyes: did it look like it mattered?

lol. That says it all about domestic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The best team won end of. Fair score.

Hard to judge Rangers on old firm games by virtue of what they are but on tonights performance they are a poor team, dogged as f**k but no quality, I'd say Bolton could have replicated that performance tonight no problem.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol. That says it all about domestic football.

lol i dont see your point here (hopefully its not about a part time team getting a result in front of 60,000 fans cos thats silly)? Pick any team and i will find a game they played anti football and progressed or gained an advantage, and i would bet their fans didnt care.

Holloway summed it up best "pulled ugly" as he called it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Good result for football in general tonight. I still can't understand how Rangers managed to get the final despite only scoring 5 goals in 8 games. It was fun to see the looks on McCoist's and Smith's faces when they realised that Rangers might have to actually attack for once :eek: :D. Instead of sitting on their arses and playing for penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I do love that old chestnut, altho i love free flowing Tora Tora Tora style football , i would gladly cheer (and have done) a dour backs to the ball anti football win/draw over a better team any day. examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aScCpbhjpBw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCUrFYXlgA

And i would bet every single fan in the world would too in a game that would win you a trophy. Its horrible but when it matters and you win something do you ever hear fans of the winning team say " we were ****e and should ahve lost"?

youtube links FTW :D

kdjac

Oh noes, LOI fans singing songs supporting a foreign team :eek:

Oh well at least it's not the premiership :rolleyes:

Good result for football in general tonight. I still can't understand how Rangers managed to get the final despite only scoring 5 goals in 8 games. It was fun to see the looks on McCoist's and Smith's faces when they realised that Rangers might have to actually attack for once :eek: :D. Instead of sitting on their arses and playing for penalties.

Agreed. Rangers were more defensive than even the most cattenacio like Italian teams. Like a throwback to George Graham type football. Ugly to watch. The first time I've seen Zenith and I can see why they knocked out Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sky say a Zenit fan was stabbed outside the ground after a tussle with Rangers fan(s) and the Police. Not believed to be life threatening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Oh noes, LOI fans singing songs supporting a foreign team :eek:

Oh well at least it's not the premiership :rolleyes:
    What songs?

I nearly had a heart-attack at the end of the match, Zenit fans pitch invasioning and waving tifo flags in a Premiership stadium, miracles can happen.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Archimedes wrote: »
    Sky say a Zenit fan was stabbed outside the ground after a tussle with Rangers fan(s) and the Police. Not believed to be life threatening.

Surprise Surprise trouble involving Rangers fans already.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Archimedes wrote: »

Shhhh

Only nice things to be said about them and their fans on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

mike65 wrote: »
    Good to see the Greener contributors to the thread getting on thier high horses.

Mike.

FFS, so you condone rioting and stabbings??

Well you'd probably get the same amount of trouble at any of the European festivals. Get over it a bit of a tussle.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Rangers did play ultra defensively and for a while it was working and Zenit did look like they were becoming frustrated for a while mid way through the second half.

The better team did win the match on the night, of that there is no question. What I liked about Zenit is that no one of their players really stood out for me but as a team they were excellent. Even their forwards were tackling hard and helping the midfielders close down players, you don't often see that in the premiership even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Get over it a bit of a tussle.:rolleyes:

I'm sure the people in A&E will agree with your throw away comment

• Advertisement

What songs?

A lot of the pats fans sang " we love you celtic" at the final whistle, sickening i was all " you`ll never beat the irish" :(

kdjac

Looks like a Russian got stabbed outside the stadium (no link at the moment) and lots of stuff going on in the city centre.

I wouldn't like to be in Manchester tonight.

I don't condone people using some guy's misfortune as a point to be won against a rival team.

A FOOTBALL fan got stabbed. By another FOOTBALL fan. The only victim here is FOOTBALL, and NO-ONE gains anything from it.

A lot of the pats fans sang " we love you celtic" at the final whistle, sickening i was all " you`ll never beat the irish" :(

kdjac

Yes Kdjac, you see it in the last link. My post about foreign teams etc was tongue in cheek. But fair play to the fans for outsinging Celtic for the entire match, or most of it, as I remember from watching it first time around.

I'm sure the people in A&E will agree with your throw away comment

Indeed like that of a Shels fan who got a glass bottle in an eye a few weeks back, the guy stabbed at Oxygen last year, the numerous people stabbed at Thunderdome in Holland every year along with the football and basketball fans being shot by police in Italy, Poland, Russia, etc...

With a gathering of that many people something always happens no matter where.

kdjac

:eek:Oh God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i think rangers game plan tonight was to bore the opposition to death the same in every uefa cup match to date and up until now it worked :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Indeed like that of a Shels fan who got a glass bottle in an eye a few weeks back, the guy stabbed at Oxygen last year, the numerous people stabbed at Thunderdome in Holland every year along with the football and basketball fans being shot by police in Italy, Poland, Russia, etc...

With a gathering of that many people something always happens no matter where.

I disagree. Nothing like that happened in Seville in 2003. Yes there are always twats in every support, but the scale of problems is regularily at the high end when Rangers fans visit town. As a Celtic fan, nights like tonight make me think that the "Old Firm" tag is a label we could do without. I don't want to be associated with that club or its supporters.

I agree with the other poster that people should not use violence as a gloating tool. We should be better than that, and our UEFA Cup final adventures are testament to that. Let Rangers and their fans show the world what they are like themselves - we don't need to do that for them. Tomorrow's papers will show the grim reality.

Hope that stabbing victim is ok, and also the others hurt in the violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

wheres Eirebear?
    not only does he have to explain his teams boring,losing football,but also has to defend the comments he made "defending" rangers fans in the other thread,that news link above and the link about the screen smashing says it all.

They really are amongst the worst football fans,that can be found.I wouldnt even call them fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsjF5Wcdbf4

30 seconds in... no excuse

dc69 wrote: »
    wheres Eirebear?
    not only does he have to explain his teams boring,losing football,but also has to defend the comments he made "defending" rangers fans in the other thread,that news link above and the link about the screen smashing says it all.

hes at the match or watching it in Ibrox not sure which, mad idea i know when theres a tv in his house but there yah go some people make the effort.
    They really are amongst the worst football fans,that can be found.I wouldnt even call them fans!

Really? how do you know that ? Did you know Man City fans were baton charged INSIDE the stadium on sunday and lay waste to the their stand? Dont always believe what the media portrays when the media has a vested interest in ensuring their "product" is protected.

Did you know at every PL game hoolies meet at a designated spot and batter each other then go to games and sing "run away run away"?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Did you know at every PL game hoolies meet at a designated spot and batter each other then go to games and sing "run away run away"?

kdjac

Really? How do you know that? At every pl game? By and large hooliganism has disappeared from most pl clubs. I know you were answering another post but you are doing the exact same making a sweeping statement.

was that a punch or a bottle?

Cracking punch if it was a punch!

hes at the match or watching it in Ibrox not sure which, mad idea i know when theres a tv in his house but there yah go some people make the effort.

Really? how do you know that ? Did you know Man City fans were baton charged INSIDE the stadium on sunday and lay waste to the their stand? Dont always believe what the media portrays when the media has a vested interest in ensuring their "product" is protected.

kdjac

oh please,even going by media coverage or not,rangers fans are amongst the worst in the world.They would get the award for their racism if not their behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgzL6r1VeK0&feature=related

what do you feel after watching that?Hurts a little deeper when its directed directly at us,and then people like eirebear come on here and try to defend these fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh, thats just one bloke hitting another bloke. nothing to do with football

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really? How do you know that? At every pl game? By and large hooliganism has disappeared from most pl clubs. I know you were answering another post but you are doing the exact same making a sweeping statement.

By going to them and knowing people who go to them. Your making a sweeping statement assuming it doesnt happen, your statement is based on Media all of which have an income and a vested interest in ensuring its not reported. Dont assume it has disappeared if anything its gotten bigger with the larger scumbag element at large.

oh please,even going by media coverage or not,rangers fans are amongst the worst in the world.They would get the award for their racism if not their behavior.

Or not and what would that be?

totally OT now tho, my fault.

kdjac

By going to them and knowing people who go to them. Your making a sweeping statement assuming it doesnt happen, your statement is based on Media all of which have an income and a vested interest in ensuring its not reported. Dont assume it has disappeared if anything its gotten bigger with the larger scumbag element at large.

kdjac

Don't assume that I basing my comments on the media ;) I am not going by media, I am speaking from attending premiership matches both home and away on a very regular basis. I can only comment from what I see. I never said it had completely gone but by and large from what I see it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a right hand that was!

Don't assume that I basing my comments on the media ;) I am not going by media, I am speaking from attending premiership matches both home and away on a very regular basis. I can only comment from what I see. I never said it had completely gone but by and large from what I see it has.

its a different thread tbh but it hasnt gone, noone in their right mind can assume that its gone when society has produced complete and utter scumbags in all cities in the UK and Ireland, i would argue they werent at the game in St Pats defence and were only there to fight with nordies, you would argue the media didnt report it or it didnt happen in the stadium or outside it.

But assuming its gone is naieve.

totally OT but at least we have a thread for the summer borefest of no tv football :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

wheres Eirebear?

Indeed.

Though personally I was more pleased that any of the temporary Gers supporters here who were backing them on some sort of bizarre thinking that Celtic are the reason the EL gets crap attendances lost a few quid (or because much of the Celtic support is made up of skangers- presumably burberry cap wearing Carling drinking Gers heads from East Belfast are somehow a lesser evil than Dutch drinking hoops fans from Tallaght :rolleyes: Jesus give me back the old rolleyes)

Poor 1st half, Gers midfield was awful throughout, let too many into their own half and provided little service for the attack. Luckily for them defense was largely on form. But ****, at one stage I forgot what colour jersey the Zenit goalie was wearing we saw so little of him. Zenit really turned Gers complacency on its head in pt 2, well done to them. Gers shouldve really played Kris Boyd earlier on.

The players letting their kids take the medals at the end was gas. *Stop press: football governing officials in having a bit of craic and putting down the rulebook shocker* :eek::eek:

One of the cameramen really had a thing for a certain Russian fan, longish half curled blonde hair, wearing a blue bandanna at one point, focused on her at least six times in the match :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Every single game! really? Did it happen to all games last weekend? How do you know. Where you there? Do you know people that were at these games?

Chirst get off your "im a real football fan" high horse and stop making such sweeping statments.

On the afters tonight, is anybody surprised? Its rangers in europe.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I don't condone people using some guy's misfortune as a point to be won against a rival team.

A FOOTBALL fan got stabbed. By another FOOTBALL fan. The only victim here is FOOTBALL, and NO-ONE gains anything from it.

No - this invective has to stop.

Rangers fans thrashed Manchester and stabbed a man in the full glare of the worlds media. This behaviour has not been seen at a major final since the 80's.

Rangers fans, yet again, act like utter scum away in Europe and they can deal with the consequnces of their behaviour without this inane defence of the indefensible.

Not only in PL, happens in all most of the leagues in England, Poland, Russia, etc... Hooliganism hasn't disappeared from most clubs in the PL, it's merely they're either banned or can't afford tickets, the fights still happen.

its a different thread tbh but it hasnt gone, noone in their right mind can assume that its gone when society has produced complete and utter scumbags in all cities in the UK and Ireland, i would argue they werent at the game in St Pats defence and were only there to fight with nordies, you would argue the media didnt report it or it didnt happen in the stadium or outside it.

But assuming its gone is naieve.

totally OT but at least we have a thread for the summer borefest of no tv football :D

kdjac

I agree to a certain extent as you say both in the UK and Ireland sadly cities are producing scumbags but then is it fair to call these people football hooligans are they not just hooligans, as I said from my experience thankfully I feel very safe going to matches particularly at home and feel very safe going to pubs near the grounds but as you said doesn't mean five or ten miles away their is not fighting, but is it football related? from a supporters point of view I am glad that fans can mix in the area surrounding the stadium and on tubes by and large. Anyway as you said we are going ot.

jank wrote: »
    Every single game! really? Did it happen to all games last weekend? How do you know. Where you there? Do you know people that were at these games?

Chirst get off your "im a real football fan" high horse and stop making such sweeping statments.

On the afters tonight, is anybody surprised? Its rangers in europe.

I do know man city fans thrashed a stadium and hoolies do meet. yet noone can confirm it happened or didnt via the media....hmmm sweeping statements ftw!
    No - this invective has to stop.

Rangers fans thrashed Manchester and stabbed a man in the full glare of the worlds media. This behaviour has not been seen at a major final since the 80's.

Rangers fans, yet again, act like utter scum away in Europe and they can deal with the consequnces of their behaviour without this inane defence of the indefensible.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAhHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

seriously HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH absolute priceless coming from yourself.

kdjac

Not only in PL, happens in all most of the leagues in England, Poland, Russia, etc... Hooliganism hasn't disappeared from most clubs in the PL, it's merely they're either banned or can't afford tickets, the fights still happen.

and LOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Wasn't there a quarter of a million fans there? Looking at it, there was always going to be trouble, there was no way the police could stop the well known scumbag element traveling because it was on the mainland in Britain. Certaintly doesn't add to Rangers reputation in a good way. At this stage they're some of the most feared travelling supporters in Europe which is unfortunate for the reputation of Scottish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Happens at all games in most of the leagues in Europe?? Get a fecking grip on yourself FFS

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAhHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

seriously HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH absolute priceless coming from yourself.

kdjac

How so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement