Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Final: Zenit v Rangers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

themont85 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a quarter of a million fans there? Looking at it, there was always going to be trouble, there was no way the police could stop the well known scumbag element traveling because it was on the mainland in Britain. Certaintly doesn't add to Rangers reputation in a good way. At this stage they're some of the most feared travelling supporters in Europe which is unfortunate for the reputation of Scottish football.

100,000 apparantly. It has feck all to do with the reputation of Scottish football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

OPENROAD wrote: »
    and LOI?

Yup with the "schooligans".

Mr Alan wrote: »

More classic whataboutery from the Rangers apologists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I agree to a certain extent as you say both in the UK and Ireland sadly cities are producing scumbags but then is it fair to call these people football hooligans are they not just hooligans, as I said from my experience thankfully I feel very safe going to matches particularly at home and feel very safe going to pubs near the grounds but as you said doesn't mean five or ten miles away their is not fighting, but from a supporters point of view I am glad that fans can mix in the area surrounding the stadium and on tubes by and large. Anyway as you said we are going ot.

Yup tis OT but people will still point blame at rangers fans for this incident, imo they not football fans they went to wreck manchester regardless of the result mainly as they are scumbags as i am sure glasgow is littered with them as most cities in UK and Ireland are.

But for certain fans to point out how their rivals " alleged" fans are behaving when theirs are no better it does point out a difference in that certain media will report it when it suits them as their agenda is ensuring the premiership is kept incident free as a main page story on a PL club is far more important then showing this http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00178/trouble_178803t.jpg

Its how it is.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yup with the "schooligans".

:D

Happens at all games in most of the leagues in Europe?? Get a fecking grip on yourself FFS

Name a league off the top of your head that this doesn't happen? The only one I don't know of is in Portguese League.

I ain't joking, "Rovers" and "Bohs" have met up at Heuston Station Bridge and Rialto for organised fights, there just the 2 I know of.

More classic whataboutery from the Rangers apologists

just pointing out the irony in giving Rangers stick on thread for their sectarian element when **** like the above is common place.

i am not a rangers apologist, i just find it hilarious how people like to paint em out to be the devil, be interesting to see in the morning exactly the deal with the stabbing in fact the only official police statement released thus far if i'm not mistaken is praising the behaviour of both sets of fans, and there has been wat....6 arrests with over 100K people there? hardly a huge number

and also, any fracas involving Rangers and Zennit fans may not nescessarily be the fault of Rangers fans (although a stabbing is uncondonable at for any reason), Russian football fans are hardly famed for their angelic behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No - this invective has to stop.

Rangers fans thrashed Manchester and stabbed a man in the full glare of the worlds media. This behaviour has not been seen at a major final since the 80's.

Rangers fans, yet again, act like utter scum away in Europe and they can deal with the consequnces of their behaviour without this inane defence of the indefensible.

When you say "invective" are you referring to me talking about football, or you using it as an excuse to have a go at Rangers?
    When you say "yet again" can you point at other incidents?
    When you say "utter scum" are you taking about Rangers fans, Glasgow fans, or football fans?

When you type, are you typing as a football fan or a Celtic fan? Do you feel the same way EVERY time there's an incident (this isn;t the first stabbing at a football match since the 80s!)

Did you call for Lazio to be banned?
    Did you call for Milan to be banned?
    If it was every commited by a Celtic fan would you be as quick to call for Celtic to be banned?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

just pointing out the irony in giving Rangers stick on thread for their sectarian element when **** like the above is common place.

i am not a rangers apologist, i just find it hilarious how people like to paint em out to be the devil, be interesting to see in the morning exactly the deal with the stabbing in fact the only official police statement released thus far if i'm not mistaken is praising the behaviour of both sets of fans, and there has been wat....6 arrests with over 100K people there? hardly a huge number

so there is a moral equivalence between fans singing IRA songs and stabbing a man and rioting?

This has to stop. Why are Rangers so protected on here? I mean your defence of them stabbing someone is to attack Celtic
    I ain't joking, "Rovers" and "Bohs" have met up at Heuston Station Bridge and Rialto for organised fights, there just the 2 I know of.

A: Not for years they havent

and b: never, ever in those locations. Why would Rovers and Bohs, who both play in D3 meet in D8?

Bull.

your posting sense.

i am shocked :eek:

kdjac

6 arrests with over 100K people there? hardly a huge number

Basically what I said a few pages back and I got slated. 1 stabbing and 6 arrests.

That's 1:100,000 (stabbings) and 1:16,667 (arrests).

Basically what I said a few pages back and I got slated. 1 stabbing and 6 arrests.

That's 1:100,000 (stabbings) and 1:16,667 (arrests).

So thats ok then.

Can you tell me what the ratio of stabbings to fan should be before we are allowed criticise?

and b: never, ever in those locations. Why would Rovers and Bohs, who both play in D3 meet in D8?

Bull.

The skooligans did, Hesuton Station "Bohs" - "Rovers" happened in October afaik.

And then the times in Rialto were "Pats" and "Rovers", that happened twice just at the Luas lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bull.

Yes they have. It has happened and don't know how you could deny it.

and also, any fracas involving Rangers and Zennit fans may not nescessarily be the fault of Rangers fans (although a stabbing is uncondonable at for any reason), Russian football fans are hardly famed for their angelic behaviour.

Whatever way you rationalise your apologies for Rangers, it is still whataboutery.

X happens now you say what about Y last year/month/decade

So thats ok then.

Can you tell me what the ratio of stabbings to fan should be before we are allowed criticise?

It's not ok, but 100,000 people in one region/area something is going to kick off, especially when they are Russias (notorious) and Rangers (everyone on here seems to know).

so there is a moral equivalence between fans singing IRA songs and stabbing a man and rioting?

This has to stop. Why are Rangers so protected on here? I mean your defence of them stabbing someone is to attack Celtic

hold on my friend, the videos i posted were in response to a poster saying that Rangers were also a racist club and posting a video of a couple of lads burning an irish flag outside a pub...i simply pointed out that Celtic are as bad for that ****e as Rangers.

I was not discussing the riots (6 people were arrested) or the stabbing.

btw, i dont think throwing cans at a TV screen that wont work is that bad, at least i'd be fairly sure Celtic/Liverpool/Utd fans would react the same way if it were them at the big screen.

Whatever way you rationalise your apologies for Rangers, it is still whataboutery.

X happens now you say what about Y last year/month/decade

as i've said above, the videos above i posted were in response to Rangers being refered to as a racist club.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I do know man city fans thrashed a stadium and hoolies do meet. yet noone can confirm it happened or didnt via the media....hmmm sweeping statements ftw

Yes and so do most of the rest of us.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7396362.stm

What happened at the other 8 games? Was there trouble?
    If there wasnt then id advise you to stop making a fool of yourself, with (as you guessed it) sweeping statements.

Oh but let that not stop you from making your point heard!:p

hold on my friend, the videos i posted were in response to a poster saying that Rangers were also a racist club and posting a video of a couple of lads burning an irish flag outside a pub...i simply pointed out that Celtic are as bad for that ****e as Rangers.

In the context of the mayhem Rangers let rip with tonight, you brought Celtic into it, despite the explicit premise of the thread that this was about the UEFA Cup final and not the Old Firm.

They ran amock tonight. Nothing whatsoever to do with Celtic. This perverse defence of Rangers and whataboutery is sickening.

as i've said above, the videos above i posted were in response to Rangers being refered to as a racist club.

What in the video clips you posted can be classed as racist?

Up until relatively recently, Rangers were a sectarian club with a no catholic signing policy. As for some of the Rangers fans, their current favourite is to tell Irish people to go home as the famine is over whilst interspersed with their knees being drenched in fenian blood.

In the context of the mayhem Rangers let rip with tonight, you brought Celtic into it, despite the explicit premise of the thread that this was about the UEFA Cup final and not the Old Firm.

They ran amock tonight. Nothing whatsoever to do with Celtic. This perverse defence of Rangers and whataboutery is sickening.

Its been posted numerous times by myself and openroad that we were OT.

We started the hoolie element to this thread, you just jumped on with your anti rangers posts. I did laugh tho when you called them names. The irony.

Splitting the thread is way too much work but feel free to start a new one.

kdjac

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    When you say "invective" are you referring to me talking about football, or you using it as an excuse to have a go at Rangers?
    When you say "yet again" can you point at other incidents?
    When you say "utter scum" are you taking about Rangers fans, Glasgow fans, or football fans?

Yes, having a go at Rangers fans for their actions.
    Yes
    Rangers fans.
    When you type, are you typing as a football fan or a Celtic fan? Do you feel the same way EVERY time there's an incident (this isn;t the first stabbing at a football match since the 80s!)

Football fan

Yes
    Did you call for Lazio to be banned?
    Did you call for Milan to be banned?
    If it was every commited by a Celtic fan would you be as quick to call for Celtic to be banned?

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Yes, having a go at Rangers fans for their actions.
    Yes
    Rangers fans.

Football fan

Yes

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

your taking the piss at this stage.

Mocking is catching etc:

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Its been posted numerous times by myself and openroad that we were OT.

We started the hoolie element to this thread, you just jumped on with your anti rangers posts. I did laugh tho when you called them names. The irony.

Splitting the thread is way too much work but feel free to start a new one.

kdjac

I think my 'Ant Rangers posts' are wholly legitimate in the context of what they did this evening.

Any pretence that they aren't the worst fans in Britain is hopefully blown out of the water.

What is ironic about me 'calling them names'?

See above.

kdjac

your taking the piss at this stage.

Mocking is catching etc:

kdjac

Thought this thread was about Rangers only? Now Rovers and Bohs dragged in as well as Celtic...

When did I ever defend that incident?

Can no-one say 'that stabbing was wrong' without some historical atrocity by their teams fans being posted? Interesting postings from a mod.

• Advertisement

Thought this thread was about Rangers only? Now Rovers and Bohs dragged in...

When did I ever defend that incident?

Can no-one say 'that stabbing was wrong' without some historical atrocity by their teams fans being posted? Interesting postings from a mod.

No this thread was about a final, that was ruined by Bigotry Sectarnism or whatever celtic fans call it to absolve themselves for them the 2 previous big words.

Simple as that really there was violence in the city of manchester , celtic fans jumped on it as a way to bash Rangers, others who arent ****ing dumb enough to think that 100,000 people in an enclosed area full of beer wouldnt lead to arrests or incidents posted that.

Fact we care **** all about either Celtic or Rangers may have giving us common sense in our posts, im sure we are sorry for that.

kdjac

No this thread was about a final, that was ruined by Bigotry Sectarnism or whatever celtic fans call it to absolve themselves for them the 2 previous big words.

Simple as that really there was violence in the city of manchester , celtic fans jumped on it as a way to bash Rangers, others who arent ****ing dumb enough to think that 100,000 people in an enclosed area full of beer wouldnt lead to arrests or incidents posted that.

Fact we care **** all about either Celtic or Rangers may have giving us common sense in our posts, im sure we are sorry for that.

kdjac

Whats common sense about bringing Rovers, Bohs and Celtic into the first major disturbances at a European final since Heysel?

Rangers fans riot and Celtic are somehow bigots? No way that logic is standing unchallenged

Some Rangers fans disgraced their club, why is so difficult to say?

kdjac

Hang on a minute here, you think a thread about the final should not contain any references to the disgraceful antics of some of the Rangers support in Manchester today.

Some people with the experience of dealing with the neanderthal portion of the Rangers support are not surprised by this. I am surprised by the apologists who want to expalin away that disgraceful behaviour by indulging in whataboutery whether it is whataboutery Celtic or SR or Bohs.

I feel really sorry for the genuine bears who wanted to have a good time and brought their kids to Manchester to experience a European cup final only to have it ruined by the arseholes

Whats common sense about bringing Rovers, Bohs and Celtic into the first major disturbances at a European final since Heysel.

Rangers fans disgraced their club, why is so difficult to say?

Except last years Champions League final :confused: This years hasnt happened yet.

Its just rangers bashing at this stage and not naieve rangers bashing but vindictive possibly bigoted and maybe just maybe sectarian.... but hey they just a football club with some people who are alleged to be fans.

kdjac

Except last years Champions League final :confused: This years hasnt happened yet.

Its just rangers bashing at this stage and not naieve rangers bashing but vindictive possibly bigoted and maybe just maybe sectarian.... but hey they just a football club with some people who are alleged to be fans.

So me saying that Rangers fans shouldnt be stabbing people makes me 'possibly bigoted and maybe just maybe sectarian'?

That has to be the most pathetic attempt at specious reasoning I have ever seen.

Seriously, what is it with Rangers and this forum?

Their fans misbehaved in a public manner on a scale not seen in years and its not worthy of comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It was inevitable for this thread to degenerate into this nonsense. That is what happens when you have ignorance mixed with stupidity. (This is not a reference to everyone who has replied).

So me saying that Rangers fans shouldnt be stabbing people makes me 'possibly bigoted and maybe just maybe sectarian'?

That has to be the most pathetic attempt at specious reasoning I have ever seen.

Seriously, what is it with Rangers and this forum?

Did you actually read the post you made and i quoted? Seriously are you just trying to change your point now as your previous point which i qouted and replied to was seriously wrong.

I hate to repeet myself but have you actually read this thread? its seems you picking out certain posts and quoting them, i nearly sure noone said it was ok to stab people but you seem to think someone did.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I for one have no problem with rangers fans bating each other anyway. In fact, long may it continue.:D

Did you actually read the post you made and i quoted? Seriously are you just trying to change your point now as your previous point which i qouted and replied to was seriously wrong.

I hate to repeet myself but have you actually read this thread? its seems you picking out certain posts and quoting them, i nearly sure noone said it was ok to stab people but you seem to think someone did.

kdjac

What you are saying is, that despite the last few weeks where the cosy consensus on here was that Rangers fans were loveable rogues when Celtic fans pointed out their form, when they do run amock after losing a final in the full glare of the worlds media, pointing this out (and yes, there is a certain 'we told you so') means you are a sectarian bigot.

It really is bizarre stuff. And to somehow try and blame Celtic is sick.

Would Arsenal fans get this grief for pointing out Spurs can be a bit naughty?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would Arsenal fans get this grief for pointing out Spurs can be a bit naughty?

An anti-semite too :eek:

Just kidding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good to see football win the game tonight. Congratulations to Zenith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

r2682533028gg7.jpg

Just lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Whats common sense about bringing Rovers, Bohs and Celtic into the first major disturbances at a European final since Heysel?

Copenhagen saw running battles when Arsenal met Galatasaray in the UEFA Cup in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Copenhagen saw running battles when Arsenal met Galatasaray in the UEFA Cup in 2000.

id say that was more arsenal fans running away from those scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/7401814.stm

So it's 42 people arrested now, the 6 fans arrested was purely in connection with the stabbing. Where's the stats boy on this thread? Time to update your little ratios.

LMAO at the figures of fans, what are we at now, 250,000? :D:D And they slag us over the Seville calculator?

In Barcelona, the lack of a fan zone was the excuse. This time it's the broken telly. :rolleyes: Whatever next?

Rangers FC need to seriously address their fan behaviour. To try and turn a blind eye to the problem by saying it happens all the time is burying your head in the sand. Mind you, as long as the likes of the Rangers Supporters Trust are the official supporters representative body, nothing will be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The most ridiculous thing is that Rangers fans are all over the press in the UK saying Manchester didn't welcome them and weren't fit to host such a final! For fuck sake, they put up three seperate fan zones, provided big tv screens etc and did everything possible to make it go off without a hitch. Then the thugs go and act the bollox as always and ruin it. Hardly Manchester's fault is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

event wrote: »
    id say that was more arsenal fans running away from those scumbags

You'd say wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

But back to the football...
    Good to see a strong team mostly made up of players from their own country , coming to the fore.
    Great to see them doing well in Europe against some of the big spenders.
    A bit like Kiev of the late 90s, a team full of Ukranians.
    Reminds me of the Ajax side of 95 too-so many went on to be great players on the international stage

And on a side note:
    Bayern to win the Champions league next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

But fans who had been waiting in Piccadilly Gardens all day were unimpressed.

One said: "This is absolutely ridiculous - there's Rangers fans throwing bottles and cans at each other because the game's not on."

rofl!

• Advertisement
Advertisement