Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quangos

Options
  • 02-05-2008 8:07pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

DadaKopf wrote: »
    If the Government doesn't integrate local government reforms with reform of the wider public sector (including tackling the rediculously obscene profusion of quangos), we're all screwed.
    This isn't the first time I've seen you comment on the proliferation of quangos, and I've been meaning to ask you about it: what quangos are you talking about, what's your problem with them, and what do you think should be done instead?

[split from local government thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

All County managers are quangos as far as I am concerned. They are unelected yet they have more power at times than the whole of a County Council Chamber. Margaret Thatcher made use of quangos during her reign, Alistair Campbell was one who wielded huge power yet he was not elected. How many such people like that exist in Ireland?

quote from Wikipedia

The Republic of Ireland has more than 800 quangos — 482 at national level and 350 at local level. [3] they have a combined annual budget of €13 billion and 5,784 quango members.

Advertisement