Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing Runs

Options
  • 02-05-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Folks,

How do you guys cope with losing runs? You know that period whereby every horse you back either runs like a hairy goat or gets nailed close home each time or those football bets that get undone by a last minute loser?

Right this last week/10 days, with particular regard to horse racing, I seem to be losing bucketfuls. I havent altered my style of betting, just seem to be picking loser after loser. I have withdrawn funds in Betfair a/c as I intend giving the whole weekend a miss gambling wise. Should I take a longer break? I think a lot of the problem stems from the changing of the guard in terms of the flat season stepping up a gear and the jumps winding down.

Any opinions please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Once I notice I divde my average stake by at least three for a while and often bet on longer odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Folks,

How do you guys cope with losing runs? You know that period whereby every horse you back either runs like a hairy goat or gets nailed close home each time or those football bets that get undone by a last minute loser?

Right this last week/10 days, with particular regard to horse racing, I seem to be losing bucketfuls. I havent altered my style of betting, just seem to be picking loser after loser. I have withdrawn funds in Betfair a/c as I intend giving the whole weekend a miss gambling wise. Should I take a longer break? I think a lot of the problem stems from the changing of the guard in terms of the flat season stepping up a gear and the jumps winding down.

Any opinions please?

1. Have a bank at the start
    2. dont bet more than 10% of your bank for each bet! 5% is even better if you can stick to it.
    3. Pick 1/2 sports and gather as much information/stats on what you intend to bet on.
    4. Look up the various prices (oddschecker) and pick out 3/4 bets a week which you feel you are getting value and where you feel you have the advantage over the bookie. e.g. a 2/1 shot which you feel should be 6/4 etc.
    5. Dont chase. Theres always another day where you head is clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get as much knowledge as possible (Racing post etc) and follow racing radio if you can, today the william hill radio service picked out winners in the first 6 races including a few in 5 or 6-1 territory. If I had been on them all I'd have been laughing by 3 o'clock.

Use the betting options that your chosen bookies offers as fully as possible - insured bets, guarenteed place returns, etc.

And if its all going "pete tong" just say ENOUGH! There will be better cards tomorrow.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Never go chasing your money

Never back when angry as you can be sure you will lose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Happens to us all, sometimes a wee break does you good. Maybe pick something you really fancy in next couple of weeks and keep your powder dry for that. Don't go backing the next race just because it happens to be on. Stick to the plan ie pick what you're confident will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

lolkelly wrote: »
    1. Have a bank at the start
    2. dont bet more than 10% of your bank for each bet! 5% is even better if you can stick to it.
    3. Pick 1/2 sports and gather as much information/stats on what you intend to bet on.
    4. Look up the various prices (oddschecker) and pick out 3/4 bets a week which you feel you are getting value and where you feel you have the advantage over the bookie. e.g. a 2/1 shot which you feel should be 6/4 etc.
    5. Dont chase. Theres always another day where you head is clearer.

1. Have a bank (getting decidedly smaller)

2. i dont bet more than 10% in any given day

3. concentrate on horse racing (irish and uk) with the occasion dabble on soccer

4. probably focusing too much on prices from betfair that are bigger with the bookmakers and not laying off

5. trying not to in terms of the overall percentage but often a winning day can turn into a losing day with the days bank being lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Ok maths nerd and human answers

1. Obey Kelly crieria.Do not bet too much even if you have a sure thing.
    2. Do a chi squared test to make sure you are unlucky rather then betting stupid
    3. If you are betting on horses you lose about 15%. why not put your cash on
    stocks you will on average come out ahead.

As a human
    1. Realise you are betting to entertain yourself. If it stops being fun stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Folks,

Any opinions please?

It depends really as you've thrown a few ingredients into the mix there.

Regarding football etc. I haven't a clue so I wont go there. With horse racing, are you considering the time of year? Did you do poorly this time last year? If so, it may be the change-over from NH to flat.
    Are you doing badly on both jumps and flat?
    If you can't answer those questions, you are not recording all your bets. If you're not doing that, you need to start.

Sometimes a break of a week or two can do the world of good, and I often do it. In fact, I took most of April off and feel refreshed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you been following 3 years olds? They are very risky until mid-May/June when thier form becomes known. The cross-over from Nat Hunt to the flat is tricky, this year its been harder due to a number of yards being "late" with thier horses and that down to the weather.

Get on Racing Post and look up Michael Stoute and Henry Cecil trainer engagements, look at the horses entered in the next 4 weeks do you homework on a selection of the best youngsters and take it from there.

Mike.

Advertisement