Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penultimate Prem Match Weekend Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote: »
    IMO they will beat Derby, the question is will Harry put out a team against Fulham. At least Diarra and Defoe will be playing, so it'll be half decent. Those two players could beat Fulham normally, but a Fulham fighting from relegation I"m not so sure :/

If Reading do go down, I can see a lot of their players being poached. Hunt Bikey and Doyle for sure.
    Was watching Sky Sports News there and Harry said he would be putting a full strength side out as he wouldnt like it if he was in a relegation battle and someone put a weakened team out against one of his rivals. How focused those players will be on the game is another story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Reading are almost certain to win against Derby though.

I dunno, they haven't scored in a while...lot more pressure on them seeing as their low on confidence, regardless of the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's great news. Good old Harry, despite him being dodgy as **** in transfer dealings, I really do like him and how he sees the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Reading are almost certain to win against Derby though.

Hopefullty there will be a sting in the tail in Derby, they'l drag whoever they can with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

That's great news. Good old Harry, despite him being dodgy as **** in transfer dealings, I really do like him and how he sees the game.
    Yeah same as, pitty his son is such an insufferable so and so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB: sent you a PM there

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Mr Alan wrote: »
    PHB: sent you a PM there

xx

shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Derby will have nothing to lose, I'm sure their players would want to end their season with a bang, that and Reading are in complete freefall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arsenal have just taken off Luis Fabianski and replaced him with Lehmann. The crazy German is getting the last 20 as a send off to the Arsenal fans. 0-0 at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

1-0 now, Bentner. Nice header.

• Advertisement

Thumping header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Everton really seemed to have lost that spark they had for so much of the season since they got knocked out of the Uefa Cup.

That's what they get for not playing Arteta

why wasnt he playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

FT Arsenal 1 - 0 Everton
    they really played bad last rounds and lost chance to even fight with Liverpool for CL as they had a chance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poor Everton :pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why wasnt he playing?

Hasn't started the last few games AFAIK. Was on the bench last week as well anyway.

Still the question,why?He was great this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He's had his injury problems this season, hasn't been able to be as consistent. Looks like he's found it hard to break back into the team since his latest return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sun Jihai is hell bent to do as many stupid things as he can this season. Terrible challenge on Babel there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Well tbh without Arteta and Chaill they lack a bit of quality going forward tbh.

"Hey, Thaksin.....leave our Sven alone!" (to the tune of Pink Floyd). Love it!

Cracking effort from Elano.

Good free kick takers are a dying bread these days.

Yeah it was a super effort alright. Very unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terrible defending by Dunne, very well taken by Torres.

• Advertisement

Not really terrible from Dunne. The defence was left exposed by the midfield giving possession away cheaply and he was merely beaten for pace.

Joe Hart must be in double figures now for goals that have gone through his legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well beaten, thats any chance I had of topping my fantasy football league gone:(

Come on Stephen Ireland get a goal pls.

Thank God I dropped Dunne and Johnson. This is gonna be 3 or 4 nil.

I think this game is an example of Liverpool's shortcomings for the league title. They really should have had that game well wrapped up, but left themselves exposed to a late equaliser. If they can consolidate draws into wins, then they may be challengers. But to do this, they need to kill off games like United do.

EDIT: I realise that Liverpool won today, and my post comes across as if they drew today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I think this game is an example of Liverpool's shortcomings for the league title. They really should have had that game well wrapped up, but left themselves exposed to a late equaliser. If they can consolidate draws into wins, then they may be challengers. But to do this, they need to kill off games like United do.

EDIT: I realise that Liverpool won today, and my post comes across as if they drew today.

Yeah thats the main difference between teams like Pool and Chelsea rather than United and Arsenal. Utd and Arsenal will always try and score a few more whereas Pool and Chelsea shut up shop or remain cautious.

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    Yeah thats the main difference between teams like Pool and Chelsea rather than United and Arsenal. Utd and Arsenal will always try and score a few more whereas Pool and Chelsea shut up shop or remain cautious.

Whilst Chelsea do favour shutting up shop, and are very effective at it, with Liverpool, whilst they also deploy such a tactic sometimes (particularly in Europe), I am referring more to there lack of closing out a game. Not because they are shutting up shop, but because they are not sticking their chances away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Smegball Have you looked at Liverpool match scorelines by any chance?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/results/default.stm

Also Liverpool clearly did not shut up shop today or at any time in the last 3/4 months. Nor did they at the start of the season. There was a period when the goals dried up when indeed they did get very cautious but that was for a minority of the season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really hope Fulham complete the great escape now and stay up with big Brian 'the hero' McBride leading the way. People were queuing up to write them off but they have stuck at it and shown tremendous character over the past month.

Reading deserve to go down because they have been awful since Christmas. The claim that they play good football from PHB is frankly ridiculous. They have managed 37 goals in 37 games. They have been plain bad this year and won't be missed.

It will be tough for Fulham next weekend, but if they play like they have the last two weeks it should be good enough.

Agree, McBride and Bullard have brough new life back, makes you wonder if Sanchez was harshly treated (or maybe not!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Newcastle: Harper, Beye, Taylor, Faye, Jose Enrique, Geremi, Butt, Barton, Viduka, Owen, Martins.
    Subs: Forster, Cacapa, Duff, N'Zogbia, Smith.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Terry, Carvalho, Bridge, Essien, Obi, Ballack, Anelka, Drogba, Malouda.
    Subs: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Lampard, Joe Cole, Alex.

Good strong line-up for Chelsea. And more importantly for them, several match-changing subs on the bench.

smith on, viduka off

Solid first half performance. Chelsea have had more of the possession, and Ballack had a good chance, but apart from that they haven't looked all that threatening.

We've been passing it well, Oba has proven to be a nuisance for them, and St. Michael really should have put one of those chances away.

Looking forward to a good second half.

Edit: Viduka injured, Smith on for the 2n half :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Viduka playing sh*te, glad he's off...

COME ON OWEN, GET A GOAL!!!

Ballack and Essien upping the tempo. Terry just hit the bar. One way traffic.

Better performance of Newcatsle in first half,they deserved lead.And i just knew this is going to happen,stupid Chelsea out of nothing 0-1......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Newcastle's own fault. You can't hope to sit back for 45 mins and get away with not conceding against a team like Chelsea. Sh!t anyway, Plan B now - thump Wigan next Sunday!!

Come On Chelsea!!!! Love It!

Chelsea thoroughly deserve their lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Michael Owen still has Liverpool blood

Eh?

Mike.

Two serious chances for Newcastle. Chelsea really need a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Unearthly wrote: »
    Michael Owen still has Liverpool blood

Damn right. It'd probably kill him to score and help utd out:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh?

Mike.

sigh

tongue in cheek comment he is missing good chances cause he doesn't want Man Utd to win the league

Lol Terry clearly doesn't fancy playing with Alex!

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol Terry clearly doesn't fancy playing with Alex!

well, would you?

Advertisement