Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

boot light problem!!

Options
  • 02-05-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

hi.
    i have a toyota corolla saloon 97. when the boot is closed the light on the dash says that a door or boot is open and then when the boot is open the light goes off. is there a simple solution to this. i know this is only a small thing but find the light distracting es pecially at night. i know the black insulation tape solution but would prefer not to use it. thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the wires to the switch were reversed could this cause the problem?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hmmm, sounds like you have a Liftback, didn't know the boot was wired to the interior warning light..... old 97 or new 97 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

its the new model colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On the saloon the boot light shouldn't make the interior warning light come on. I only know the basics about wiring, there are others on here who do it for a living. it could be a symptom of another problem. I doubt it's the switch, I'm thinking it could be an earthing problem if it's a saloon. does the boot light itself come on when the boot is open?

the warning light always worked properly. eg when the boot was open the light would come on. now its the opposite. when the boot is open the warning light goes off and when its closed the warning light comes on. this has only started up in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Given it worked fine until recently, I'd be inclined to suspect the boot lock contact switch. I'm no Toyota expert, but this will either be contained within the lock, or a push switch on the boot frame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's been a while since I had a corolla but the wiring is probably the same:

Find the switch - normally on the body near the lock, could be in the boot lid though and go out through a loom.

There is normally a single wire attached - when the boot opens the switch grounds the wire to the bodywork and causes both the courtesy light and warning light to come on.

First thing I'd try is disconnect the wire from the switch, the light should not work at all now. If this is the case then repair / replace the switch.
    If the problem persists after you disconnect the wire then there is a short somewhere else - probably near the loom from the lid to the body.

took your advice steve c. disconnected the wires. i think i'll know if my boot is open!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like a faulty switch so.

Just to add - if you have an alarm, it may take a signal from that wire to say the boot's been opened so you may have also disabled that.

At least you have identified the cause:)

Advertisement