Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roof rack for new Civic Hatchback

Options
  • 02-05-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 06 new model Honda Civic 5 door. I need to carry surfboards and have put them on the roof using straps but these appear to be doing some paint damage.

I want to get a roof rack and am trying to decide what is the best one to go for as there appear to be a few options out there. I have seen options from Thule and La Prealpina but are unsure as to how they are fitted onto the car (as there appear to be no clips on the roof itself). I asked at the Honda garage but they did not even know how their own roof rack fitted.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Just get yourself the OEM Honda one. It will fit, it will protect the paint work. The rack will come with instructions about where to put the rails. You'd be surprised how well Honda have hidden the guide marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

there may be some posts underneth the seals on the roof, it's how it is on my golf, didn't know they were there till i wne tfor a thule rack and it's great. those soft racks will also damage the door seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The honda UK site has the accessories brochure available to download.
    I have the 06 4dr and that brochure has a roof rack in it.

I also have the accessories brochure for the 5dr hatchback an there is no roofrack in it?

There are 2 brochures though, don't have the second one.

If you PM me your email, I'll send them on to you, if you can't find them on the UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I work for Honda as a storeman,so I can tell you why don't we know how to fit these:
    We don't sell roof racks for Civics.Bodykits and wheels are the popular items...
    Plus Honda don't cater us with proper information regarding accessories fitting etc.
    For example Volvo accessories information at least gives you a clue how to fit those,dimensions etc.

I hope this picture helps a bit :)
    civicroofrack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I recommend Thule. If the car doesn't have points for the feet to grab the roof, then it's probably a set that just go inside the rim of the door and grab on there, rock solid.
    also, if you're going to be carrying any more weight than a set of boards, I recommend spacing the two bars good and far apart, they'll be more secure that way. I carry ~90Kg on my rack regularly, just a thule one, with no hassle

Stay away from foam racks that strap on to the roof. Yeah they're a lot cheaper, but for them to be secure, they need to be tightened enough to open the seals around the door (they strap onto the roof through the car) and let rain in when it's wet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement