Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper one composition

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Wow, you have to be one of the more retarded posters I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on here.

Thanks mate.. And your a knob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

\o/

You call me retared?? what are you on about:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

wtf???

How is God's name has anything you've just written there relate, even slightly, to the post you quoted????

because I'll be forced to learn off essays since my teacher is so s**t!!!

and according to you this is wrong is it??

Randomness wrote: »
    hang on a minute, surely if in one's own words one is naturally **** at something and then by learning off a book they consider themselves no longer naturally **** that is a contradiction??

if your naturally ****, your naturally ****.

however i disagree that learning off a book disqualifies this point.

fair play for attacking something you find yourself not the best at though. i'm sure that's difficult and in that instance i can understand why someone might learn stuff off for the leaving cert, but that's biology, facts, figuers and diagrams. i can't understand how someone could learn of their own opinion written at a particular moment in time though (i.e english) that's just plain wrong.

lol ok dont get hrny over it good man

• Advertisement

cartman444 wrote: »

exactly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

You could try reading newspapers, novels etc.

Being able to write is an important skill to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

i can't believe i was just about to come back on here and tell everyone to take a step back cos in fairness no one really knows what they are arguing over anymore.

but then there was this.... wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

You could try reading newspapers, novels etc.

Being able to write is an important skill to have.

I know is but there is no point because:

1.My teacher doesnt grade it or comment on it even if you ask her so you can never tell if its bad or good.
    2.Its impossible to motivate yourself to write an essay that will not be corrected or graded and you get no incentive to work harder.
    3.Its a bit to late now in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

guys, learn stuff off if you want. It's not morally wrong to learn off your own stuff. I think you have to have some of your own essays in your head before you go in and see if you can mould them to the topic in the exam. It's nearly impossible to make up a story/personal essay on the day.

But, you shouldn't learn off essays word for word cos its so hard to change it around in the exam. You might end up writing an answer thats not relative to the question or just making a complete mess of your answer.
    And don't learn off someone else's work. You could get caught, its dodgy, it's awkward and its wrong.

• Advertisement

Its impossible to motivate yourself to write an essay that will not be corrected or graded do you get no incentive to work harder.

All you have to do is write one general essay on something broad, like life/childhood and make it work in the exam. I don't see why you would learn off someone else's essay. It's not personal, there'll be no feeling to it and you'll probably end up forgetting half of it and have no idea what to write.

It's not wrong IMO because if you can learn off an essay word for word and write it out in an exam, changing it to be relative to the question, and still keep it at A1 standard, then you deserve an A1. Chances are you won't be able to do that though.

Randomness wrote: »
    i can't believe i was just about to come back on here and tell everyone to take a step back cos in fairness no one really knows what they are arguing over anymore.

but then there was this.... wtf?

I know! What the hell was that about?

Peleus wrote: »
    It's nearly impossible to make up a story/personal essay on the day.

No it isn't. If Higher Level English students seriously can't improvise a short essay in well over an hour then there is something very wrong with the way the subject is taught. :eek:

I really doubt that's true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Of course it is.

I wrote a short story in my LC and got 85/100 for it. I had written something similar before, but I had to adapt it to the picture on the page, and it was 100% the product of my own imagination.

Now, is that not worth more than someone who learned off a load of essays other people wrote, regurgitated one that fit a topic on their LC and got 90/100 for it?

And think about it on a broader scale, in terms of CAO points. Take medicine as an example of a course with a high points requirement. Would you like to be treated by a doctor who is essentially a dimwit with no intelligence besides the ability to learn off vast quantities of information, or someone with a high level of intelligence in a variety of areas, who understood what was going on in subjects like English, Maths, Science etc. and got high points accordingly?

there are exams in college you have to pass.If he does have "the ability to learn off vast quantities of information" whats to say he cannot treat you?
    The leaving cert. is just a college entrance exam yes? so i would suggest that you "think about it on a broader scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I always improvise, and this sounds really bent, sorry in advance, but I always get As. But some people need to prepare a topic, and that's grand, but I find that approach harder. I prefer improvising. It's all personal.

And the point about learning off someone else's story is that it's not personal, and if I got an A1 in English with someone else's short story, I would feel really awful. The guilt and stuff. It'd be awwwwful.

Whatever essay you do, do a little plan before hand, and know how you're going to end it. Then you should be fine. If you don't have an easily-inspired imagination, have a rough essay you've done in class or at home before and try and use its story arc to fit the question.

Don't copy, it's just weird. Only oddballs copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

You will 'c' the short story (SECTION 3) and given that roughly 60% of the country will get a 'c' question a (Section 1) its not exactly a great start. Remember paper 1 is 50% of your english grade.A discursive essay usually attains high grades if you follow the structure correctly. An essay on changing the world is tipped for this year so perhaps learn one of those of?
    Just remember its not what you do its what grade you get. I strongly disagree with anyone that states learning something of to get an a grade is wrong.

:O ooooo how do you know an essay is tipped?!? If "changing the world" was the essay I would love it sooo much! I have one of those written! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i need points my english is no where near a1 standard so why the hell shouldnt I prepare one

If your english is nowhere near A1 standard, you're not gonna get an A then are you? At least, you don't deserve one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

God, some people have no imagination. And I'm going to be so pissed, that come Wed 13th August, I'll see the people who copied essays get higher than me in English. And to hear them gloat etc will drive me over the edge. I've been working so hard.

It's different if you write essays already, learn them off and then incorporate them into the paper. Usually by using that one line. "pre: The air was electric" I feel that's ok. As long as YOU did it.

I'm worried about some people who need high points for courses. If you can't deal with the stress of oh dear, thinking of an essay, using your brain, how are you going to deal with the stress of your future career?

People love to blame the teacher. Do you not have any friends/family/other staff members to ask? The examiners are human. If not, go online, get marking schemes. If the essay asks for descriptive writing, then use adjectives etc. Jesus. Don't write about the LC, have too big of a time line (10+years etc) ...

Sorry, I can rant all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What doesn't make sense? I can clarify if you want.

Could you tell me where exactly I can find something officially saying that the LC is just about "learning off stuff". Some people might find that they can get a higher grade by learning off something someone else wrote as opposed to working on their ability to write good answers to questions, but it doesn't make that kind of thing right, and it certainly doesn't mean the LC is all about that kind of thing.

It is a points system, yes. Those who are good at English should get the highest points for English and those not so good should get lower points. If someone who isn't very good at English learns off essays etc., regurgitates them in the exam and gets higher points than someone better than them at writing English, then the system is skewed and is unfair on the person who is genuinely good at English.

Ok, so do many other people, many of whom are genuinely good at English.

Then you don't deserve an A1 in English.

You have to admit that most subjects for LC are essentially just a memory test of what you have learned in the last 2 years.

Mind you I must say that I'd be happy even with a B3.

The Leaving cert is a memory exam! ther're elements of skill involved (geography, art etc) but as for everything else it is pure reguratation! i am not saying nick someone else's short story but learn your own a1 standard story learn all the structures, all the link sentences. When it comes to predictable questions such as comparative or poetry and your teacher throws you a sample essay that will get you an 'a' learn that..folly otherwise!
    The institute is the main feeder school for trinners and Ucd.All they do is fire essay's at you to learn so it must be beneficial.
    I am done arguing about the points system, i'm just going to exploit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

! i am not saying nick someone else's short story but learn your own a1 standard story learn all the structures, all the link sentences. When it comes to predictable questions such as comparative or poetry and your teacher throws you a sample essay that will get you an 'a' learn that..folly otherwise!
    What kind of stories are you and others learning off so?
    Give me an idea.....we've done very little on paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

My point was that English shouldn't be about learning off essays and that nowhere is it officially stated that the LC is a memory test.

Can you get more points by learning off essays etc. rather than using your brain? Perhaps. Does that make it right? From an education, moral and suitibility for university standpoint, an overwhelming NO.

Oh and the Institute is the main feeder school for UCD and Trinity because no one who doesn't want to go to college goes to the institute, and the majority are going for high points courses in UCD and Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

According To My English Teacher 'There's Nothing Wrong With A Bit Of Plagarism'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

I'm learning off my teachers sample Mahon essay......

Does the short story have to be written in the form:

He opened the door of his car.

or can it be:

I opened the door of my car

Does the short story have to be written in the form:

He opened the door of his car.

or can it be:

I opened the door of my car

Obviously the first one. Examiner have this irrational hatred of first-person narrative. :)

you can write first person in the personal essay. like if you describe an event to back up a point you make. The essay has to be more reflection than narration. definately don't write like:

I woke up and it was a lovely day. I got dressed and walk down the stairs and out the door. I met up with my friend John and then asked him how he was. "Good," he said....

Those first person short story type essays can be really boring and predictable. If you're writing a short story just do a plan; a few charachters (not very complex ones), a basic plot (not predictable, but simple and realistic, and have a point to the short story) and alot of descriptive writing. easier said than done tho.

blue-army wrote: »
    What kind of stories are you and others learning off so?
    Give me an idea.....we've done very little on paper 1.

no please? o.k how about ''its a points race'' :p

Advertisement