Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool List for Phase 2 (Electrical)

Options
  • 03-05-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just got word I'm heading to Ballyfermot for phase 2 of my Electrical apprenticeship and they sent me a list of tools that I require. Now I've spent a good few bob and made sure I had decent tools from the off but some of the tools on this list have me bamboozled ... Can ye shed any light - I've googled them but to no avail ..

* T.W. 952 / 280 Gauge Ring Extractor Tool
    * RHW25 Electricians Penknife

HELP !!!

PS anyone been to Ballyfermot ? Fill me in .....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i work in an electrical wholesalers and im pretty sure we keep those in stock. the gauge ring tool has a red handle and has metal prongs at either end, i presume for removing the gauge rings from the old type fuse boards. the knife we do is like a penknife with a semi circular cutting area at the base of the blade. if we do them then im sure your local elec supplier would have them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

I'm in north Dublin - Where your suppliers at ? Could save me a lot of hassle if u know what these things are !

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

I wouldn't worry too much about the gauge ring extractor. Highly unlikely you'll ever use it in FAS anyway.

You'll definitely need the knife though, Stanley knives are strictly forbidden in Ballyfermot FAS :D

pm me with any questions about FAS Ballyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I wouldn't worry too much about the gauge ring extractor. Highly unlikely you'll ever use it in FAS anyway.

That is what I was going to say! Its a while since I was an apprentice (91-94), but if we cane in with 1/2 the tools they were stunned!! We had this sort of stuff on the tool list also, completley out dated even back then!! We never used a gauge ring extractor even once!

I found FAS very out of touch.

When we sat our Senior Tades they would not allow us to use the ETCI regs during the exam!!
    HELP !!!
    Dont panic! Good to see you have a good attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Knipex do a nice cable knife, as the lads said dont worry about the gauge ring extractor. It is not on any decent list of electricians tools as a must have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Fair play to ye all for getting back to me .. I will give the extractor a miss but Is this the kinda knife I should be getting

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=783&L=1&grpID=32&ukat=iso17

Been waiting to get to tech for a while now - I got the run around from my employer who made me do a 6 month trial and then couldn't register me as they lost the original copy of my leaving cert results !! Joke !

I'm 28 and heading into second year on the 29th of this month - do ye think there will be any other golden oldies with me in phase 2 or will I be the only Jurassic Sparks ? I haven't heard of many other lads taking it up at my age ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm 28 and heading into second year on the 29th of this month - do ye think there will be any other golden oldies with me in phase 2 or will I be the only Jurassic Sparks ? I haven't heard of many other lads taking it up at my age ..

28 isn't old... don't worry about it.... fair play for going back and doing something you wanted to do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Your alot younger than me!! Im not far off 40 and I am studying full time!!

I was also older than most as an apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

that knife is fine,
    the hardest thing for you in FAS will be dealing with the immature lads.
    Most of the older lads, sit up the front ignore the messers and do better than most.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Alrite lads, starting my phase 2(E&I) on tuesday and although the tool list doesnt list a multimeter my foreman at work is trying to convince me I need one. Does anyone know if its required? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Alrite lads, starting my phase 2(E&I) on tuesday and although the tool list doesnt list a multimeter my foreman at work is trying to convince me I need one. Does anyone know if its required? Thanks!

I know for the electrical apprenticeship its not required as they had testers and all you used them for was belling a job when it was finished. If your doing the instrumentation one you may well need it for calabrating instruments but I dont know whats involved in the instrumentation part of phase 2. Fas should have sent you out a tool list with your letter to say you were called.

Sorry just saw that you said its not on the list, if its not on the list it must be supplied then. Even if it was required you wouldnt need it from the start so you could get one if needs be when you find out.In some classes fas will ring a supplier and get a deal if a load of lads are buying one so dont buy one before you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Get yourself a multimeter you're going to use it at some stage. I'm surprised you've made it to phase 2 without using it.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Get yourself a multimeter you're going to use it at some stage. I'm surprised you've made it to phase 2 without using it.

Dont get one before you go to college, you might get a deal on one of Fas and save you a few quid.

m.j.w wrote: »
    Dont get one before you go to college, you might get a deal on one of Fas and save you a few quid.

Never heard of FAS giving out deals on multi meters, maybe if they're restocking but I doubt there's much of that goin on these days.

Never heard of FAS giving out deals on multi meters, maybe if they're restocking but I doubt there's much of that goin on these days.

No its not fas selling them, the lecturer in our place asked us if there was many wanted to buy them and he rang a supplier and got a deal as there were 8-10 lads getting one. Happened to a few of the apprentices in work so I thought maybe they all might do it. Maybe not though

Theres never a shortage of multimeters at work if i need one so been putting off buying one.

Anyone have a good example of one to buy thats not too expensive, should i get one? I'll prob leave buying it off a while as M.J.W suggested!

Nice one for the replies lads!

No its not fas selling them, the lecturer in our place asked us if there was many wanted to buy them and he rang a supplier and got a deal as there were 8-10 lads getting one. Happened to a few of the apprentices in work so I thought maybe they all might do it. Maybe not though

good idea alright. Are there actually many apprentices knockin about these days?

good idea alright. Are there actually many apprentices knockin about these days?

Yea there seems to be a good few. When I was in phase 2 half the class were out of work but in phase 4 and 6 out of the 30 in the class only 2 that were out of work. A few were in esb but alot were working for contractors so maybe abut of industrial work out there

Theres never a shortage of multimeters at work if i need one so been putting off buying one.

Anyone have a good example of one to buy thats not too expensive, should i get one? I'll prob leave buying it off a while as M.J.W suggested!

Nice one for the replies lads!
    Yea wait and see sure.

Your better of getting a good one though when you do, dont buy a cheap one if your doing instrumentation.

This is a good one

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/fluke-170-series-digital-multimeter-175/p-124252pd.html

• Advertisement

Yea wait and see sure.

Your better of getting a good one though when you do, dont buy a cheap one if your doing instrumentation.

This is a good one

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/fluke-170-series-digital-multimeter-175/p-124252pd.html
    yowzer, more than a weeks wages :eek:

Cheers for the link mate!
    at our apprentice induction seminar (or whatever its called) in Cork in february, there were about 60 from all trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Fair play to ye all for getting back to me .. I will give the extractor a miss but Is this the kinda knife I should be getting

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=783&L=1&grpID=32&ukat=iso17

Been waiting to get to tech for a while now - I got the run around from my employer who made me do a 6 month trial and then couldn't register me as they lost the original copy of my leaving cert results !! Joke !

As an aside to this,the OP Karl met me and my mate in Phase 2 and I was 4 years older then him!:D We stayed friends throughout and did all our college phases together.

He's now working in Canada.

superg wrote: »
    As an aside to this,the OP Karl met me and my mate in Phase 2 and I was 4 years older then him!:D We stayed friends throughout and did all our college phases together.

He's now working in Canada.

When I was serving my time, a fellow sparks/buddy of mine celebrated his 40th when we were in phase 4 together. I was 21. Nothing unusual about older gents starting a trade. A lot of ESB lads were in college with me that had worked for years with the ESB as labourers, linemen etc and went back to do the apprenticeship. I think they had to by law anyway. Some of them were in their mid to late 40's. I have friends who's much older brothers, cousins, uncles and in one case, my mates father asking me about them starting an apprenticeship and what I thought of it. Fair play to any of the older generation starting from scratch. Its not an easy thing to do, even for a younger man. I certainly couldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah it wasn't easy,especially with kids and rent to pay out of 200 odd quid a week but glad I did it. My timing was terrible though as I started in 2007 and a year later the bubble burst!

superg wrote: »
    Yeah it wasn't easy,especially with kids and rent to pay out of 200 odd quid a week but glad I did it. My timing was terrible though as I started in 2007 and a year later the bubble burst!

I started the same year. Was lucky to stay with the company the whole way to the end but as soon as I qualified I was laid off. Same with all the other lads that were newly qualified.

I'm a bit senior myself! 23 now, i'll be 24 when my phase 2 is over. Hopefully theres a few older lads like myself in there now too!

Advertisement