Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct use of indicator lights

Options
  • 03-05-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

During my pre-test today, when I did the turnabout, my instructor said I should have indicated when moving off the kerb However there were no other road users about. I have heard that it can be a minor fault to use them in this situation sometimes.

Anyone know what the testers would do?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DrivingCampus

j1979p wrote: »
    During my pre-test today, when I did the turnabout, my instructor said I should have indicated when moving off the kerb However there were no other road users about. I have heard that it can be a minor fault to use them in this situation sometimes.

There are differing opinions within the driving instruction industry itself as to whether it is necessry to indicate in this situation. Some instructors will advocate to always indicate while others will suggest you should only do so if necessary i.e. other road users are present.
    However i would agree with your instructor, you should always indicate when moving off from the kerb. I've recently sat my RSA Stage 2 ADI test (and passed thankfully) and in discussion afterwards i asked the RSA examiner a few questions on such "grey" areas. There must be no doubt in any learners mind with regards to any manouvre whereby you are changing direction, whether its moving off, changing lane or overtaking, you must always follow the Mirror Signal Manouvre (M.S.M) protocol

You will not be penalised by using your indicator in such a scenario and i would strongly advocate to indicate. You are leaving nothing to chance that way.

Good luck in your test ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

j1979p wrote: »

Any time moving away from a curb should use an indicator. Just like going around roundabouts if there was noone around you should still use them. Just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You should use them, as chris85, said, any time you're moving from the curb you should indicate your intentions regardless of whether there is someone around or not. You will not get marked down for this. The only manoeuvre that i wouldn't use my indicators would be the reverse around the corner, as your reverse lights are sufficient, and also having your indicator on my confuse other drivers as to what your intention is.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I would say you should always indicate. What if there was a car/pedestrian that you didn't spot. Better to be safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have to agree with the posters above ... You should always use your indicators whether you think their are vehicles and/or pedestrians around or not... You should always expect the unexpected when you're behind the wheel of a vehicle ... You won't be penalised for wanting to ensure those around you knew what you intend doing i.e. indicating you want to pull out etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

OK, thanks guys!

Advertisement