Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuisance Private Calls

• 03-05-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

What can Gardai actually do about nuisance private calls to a mobile?

A few years ago I had the problem and when I brought it to the attention of the local Gardai they resolved it. At the time I never asked any questions as I just wanted them to stop (non-stop during the day and even all hours of the night). I had a fair idea of who it was and my partner at the time was getting quite annoyed over them also.

I’ve heard it happened to a few other people too so I’m just curious as to what steps the Gardai take to stop the calls...What can Gardai actually do about them if they come from a pay-as-you-go and/or bill-pay mobile phone?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There are a couple of different ways of dealing with it.

First if you know who is doing and don't want to make a complaint but you do want it stopped then the guard can speak with the person making the calls and advise them to stop or they can be prosecuted. Usually works for me.

Second option is if you want to make a complaint a statement is taken then you sign a consent form for us to access your phone information, in this case calls you are receiving. We send a report along with your signed consent form to Eircom or Vodafone Malicious Calls Bureau to have the number traced. In this option we usually prosecute unless the injured party withdraws the complaint.

In all its not a hard thing to get done and happens quite alot. You probably guessed that when I mentioned that Eircom and Vodafone have departments for this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    In all its not a hard thing to get done and happens quite alot. You probably guessed that when I mentioned that Eircom and Vodafone have departments for this type of thing.

Not from my experience Nog. Had to have a 3 month history of the calls, very detailed statement and only when I had that could I go to crime and security to get them to apply for the warrent to look up the details. Even had Vodafone guy tell me "You know yourself Guard, its a lot of trouble to go through". And as the poster stated, if its an unregistered ready to go what then?

Its exactly why the minister is looking at law concerning registering phones and IMHO theres no justifiable reason to hide your number in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Agreed with Karlitos. It's exceptionally difficult to get the application put through C&S not to mention that the request is usually returned after a number of months - this makes the file fairly close to being barred.

It's a struggle when they're using Private Numbers so hopefully legislation will make the process far more streamlined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Forgot to mention the statement and the tracking/log of calls received.

Sorry Kerry4sam

I had to put through 2 applications which I didn't have any trouble but saying that they didn't result in an unregistered ready to go mobile.

Would a 'Private Number' landline cuase any problems? I wouldn;t think so but could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    Would a 'Private Number' landline cuase any problems? I wouldn;t think so but could be wrong.

No, as long as the number is registered with a name and address it can be tracked via a C&S warrant or even a tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Its an offence under s10 of the Non fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 to continually watch, follow or beset any person without lawful excuse which includes using a telephone\mobile.
    It can be cumbersome for the cops as previous posters have mentioned but if the nuisance is persistant it must be investigated and prosecuted if the IP wants.

The unregistered mobiles obviously cause difficulty in ID the caller. I dont know what the cops can do in this situation. I know they can pin the transmissions to a mast which narrows the general area that the calls are being made from. This info along with the victims hunch (if any) as to who the offender is can allow for a warrant to be obtained to search of a person/dwelling for the mobile. This of course would only be done in serious cases of harassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They can also check the other numbers the person is calling. If the person constantly calls all but one member of a particular family on a regula basis, then its them.

Advertisement