Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty point query...

Options
  • 03-05-2008 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

thought someone in here might be able to help me!!

pulled on to what appeared to be a dual carraige way last monday, 2 driving lanes and a bus lane, with a divide between other traffic. and no houses nearby.
    There was no speed signs up, as i pulled out from a back road, and not the start of the stretch. I went back and checked the road, and there is a 60kmph sign at the beginning of the road.

Garda speed check half way down the road. clocked at 80k apparantly. Are we supposed to inherently know what the speed limit is on every road? (or drive around at 60 everywhere!)

will i stand any chance appealing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Was there a speed limit sign on the road you were coming from?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ramanujan wrote: »
    Garda speed check half way down the road. clocked at 80k apparantly. Are we supposed to inherently know what the speed limit is on every road? (or drive around at 60 everywhere!)
    You are presumed to have local knowledge. In any case, you have passed a speed sign at some point getting to where you are.

If you were doing your first driving lesson, would you do 100km/h until you saw the first sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,866 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ramanujan wrote: »

will i stand any chance appealing this?

Not in the rules here, but the DVLNI Highway Code recommends assuming (if you can't see signs) 50mph with no signs if theres no streelights, and 30mph if there are. Down here we just seem to run on people knowing the roads...

Not a hope of getting off unless you can show the last sign you passed was an 80/100/120 sign though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

MYOB wrote: »
    Not in the rules here, but the DVLNI Highway Code recommends assuming (if you can't see signs) 50mph with no signs if theres no streelights, and 30mph if there are. Down here we just seem to run on people knowing the roads...

Not a hope of getting off unless you can show the last sign you passed was an 80/100/120 sign though.

thanks for the replys. Bit more negative than expected! Was just hoping since the road i drove on from was a relatively new road (built in the last 6 months) I might stand a chance, since 99% of the other traffic were coming from the start of the road. Not amazingly annoyed, just assumed a higher limit due to no streetlights etc... The speed limit on certain roads does seem abit ad hoc, but sure thats not really the issue here. Might knock down to the station see how that goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Possibly drive the route you took again showing whatever speed signs you pass, then get a solicitors advice.

As for the negativity here, didn't you know that you were now in the bosom of moral consciousness when you enter motors? If there is any chance you've made a mistake, the boards "God Squad"* will send you straight to hell!!! :D

* (apologies to Paddy Doyle!) :o

Advertisement