Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Model

Options
  • 03-05-2008 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I see a Midlands band 'The Aftermath' have released their first album this week. I met the lads a couple of years ago and always thought they had a great attitude and joy for music.

They have a good sounding CD and a fantastic sleeve, all self funded. To see and hear it in the record shop you'd think it was a Major release.

What I particularly like about the lads is they're making something happen themselves.

There's no "We'd be successful if we had -
    A - Money
    B - A Manager
    C - A Tour
    D - A record label" with them, they got (or created) all those things by themselves.

That 'do it yourself' attitude is the way the Biz is going - there are no excuses anymore - Anyone can make a record!

The Revolution is ongoing - for those who care to take part, that is ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Thats the exact way I have been thinking the last few weeks. You always think "fair play to him!" and never actually go and do something yourself. I have a few things in the pipeline now that should work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The record funding leprachaun with the big pot of gold is dead and buried.

It's happened pretty damn quick too. When I was last gigging and working with music seriously, 5 years ago, it was still about trying to make a living by getting signed. That has barely even entered my mind now I'm back doing it again. Imagaine being signed to a label in todays climate? The thought scares me.

The DIY route is incredibly empowering. I think if you take a long term approach with a sustained plan you can make a living at it over time. Possibly even quite quickly. However, it's going to take a lot more than just writing and recording the songs. Videos, on line promo yadda yadda yadda.... it's all vital in the DIY world. Bands don't make a living at music because they are the best bands, it's often for a whole host of other reasons and on the DIY route those things are in the hands of the band themselves. Look at Damien Rice. Whatever you may feel about his music he has done it on his own terms and as a result earned far, far, far, far more money than he would have otherwise and he doesn't have to compromise what he wants to do becuase some account manager is redirecting this quaters marketing budget towards a group of 17 year girls from Shefield sponsored by Melodyne. Respect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

frobisher wrote: »
    The record funding leprachaun with the big pot of gold is dead and buried.

It's happened pretty damn quick too. When I was last gigging and working with music seriously, 5 years ago, it was still about trying to make a living by getting signed. That has barely even entered my mind now I'm back doing it again. Imagaine being signed to a label in todays climate? The thought scares me.

The DIY route is incredibly empowering. I think if you take a long term approach with a sustained plan you can make a living at it over time. Possibly even quite quickly. However, it's going to take a lot more than just writing and recording the songs. Videos, on line promo yadda yadda yadda.... it's all vital in the DIY world. Bands don't make a living at music because they are the best bands, it's often for a whole host of other reasons and on the DIY route those things are in the hands of the band themselves. Look at Damien Rice. Whatever you may feel about his music he has done it on his own terms and as a result earned far, far, far, far more money than he would have otherwise and he doesn't have to compromise what he wants to do becuase some account manager is redirecting this quaters marketing budget towards a group of 17 year girls from Shefield sponsored by Melodyne. Respect for that.

Eno was being interviewed on BBC radio recently and was asking "if you're not a 'boy' band why would you want a record company?"
    His point was that before , in ye olde days a Record Company spent money on you and took most of your profits.
    Now they take most of your profits, your Merch and gig money too...... and sell less CDs! Huh?

I've only ever met 3 record company guys who, I thought, had a clue , and 2 of them managed/record labeled Blur !

The Wheel Turneth full circle! Power to the Peeps!!:cool:

It's easier than ever to be 'heard' ...... it's no easier to be any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well it really depends what music you are doing. I'm fortunate to be dealing with a good few electronic labels, and tend to license tracks almost on a weekly basis. I have a busy few months ahead, but work when i want to, and can do anything i want due to the non-exclusivity of the record deals I have got.

I was involved in one of the big four a few years ago, and could see an industry collapsing in upon itself due to uncontrolled greed, massive cocaine consumption, sh1te talk, and more middlemen you could shake a stick at.

Coming to the electronic/dance world was like a breath of fresh air - labels release whatever they hear that they like (a lot of the time anyway), and I have been fortunate to get a royalty share that ensures that even if i only sell on average 200 copies of each release (not difficult on sites like beatport, itunes, etc.), i actually make more money than if the band i was in sold over a million copies on a major (I've actually worked out the maths of this) given the contract we were signing.

The unfortunate thing for rock bands is that their chance of ever 'making it' and viably continue to make music without busting their balls for years playing sh1teholes, is well and truly over.

On a more subjective point, I think that a band that merely exists to 'make it' is always doomed. They're ambition and drive will be exploited by many oppurtunists to make a profit.
    The only art that is really going to survive is art that is made for the sake of itself. Not as a platform for somebody's ego and to further their career. Even if you were the hottest new band of 2009 and got a major record deal, the chances of making any money are drastically slim. So you'd wanna be in it for the right reasons

You most likely will end up being the guy from 'that band, remember them' hanging around dublin drinking yourself stupid, being on every guest list for every gig, and producing unknown bands who want some of your status to elevate their chances of 'succeeding'.
    That's if you're lucky. Most likely you'll have to sell your gear and get a job in insurance administration!

I think if 99.999% of bands knew the actual probability of them 'succeeding' would give up straight away. And they should. They should be doing it for the sake of the music. They should enjoy what they do. Their heart and soul should be into the music. Not the fame, money, drugs, women, houses, cars, etc.

The rock and roll dream died a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

sweet merciful jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You should have come along to the gig Paul. We had them in The Button Factory the other day. They had Mark Carolan in doing their sound too by the way, so they are all about the production end of things.

Soundman wrote: »
    You should have come along to the gig Paul. We had them in The Button Factory the other day. They had Mark Carolan in doing their sound too by the way, so they are all about the production end of things.

Yes! I had lunch with him that day! I meant to get down but then I ate a garlic baguette and fell asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Yes! I had lunch with him that day! I meant to get down but then I ate a garlic baguette and fell asleep!

Ah good stuff. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Garlic Baguette. I've just eaten and you have made me hungry again. Grrr.:(

Edit: You have yet to see the venue in action, is that correct? You'll have to pop in soon. And warn me so I know not to have a "lazy" day. Hehehehe...

Advertisement