Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Version of Boards.ie

Options
  • 03-05-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering if you have looked into making a mobile version of boards.ie available, for use with phones.

Ive recently got the N95 and have been browsing a good bit, using the wifi. But browsing boards is very slow compared to other sites, including other large forums, like avforums.

Ive only tried it with the built in nokia browser because the im connecting through a proxy server which opera and other browsers dont support yet.

I browse boards a good bit but the speed is really putting me off it lately.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just to note don't do AlmightyCushions suggestion on your PC. It sets the style for the whole site in the cookie, so whenever you visit it will override the default style that you set in the User CP.

That mobile style works well on my N95 but the only thing is it doesn't work on the main page, so loading boards.ie is slow but loading a thread or forum works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ah very nice thanks, is there anyway of using this without having to sign in?

Its just that i like to log in on the computer later on in the day to see all the unread threads in the forums I frequent. Usually only log in for bout 5min at a time on the phone.

EDIT: Oh hang on think i got it

Yep, thanks very much thats very handy.

Just one bit of feedback, when on the main page with the list of forums, you can navigate to subforums, eg to navigate to bargain alerts, the parent consumer forum is not clickable, so no way of getting into bargain alerts. Tis same with all other subforums

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Yep, thanks very much thats very handy.

Just one bit of feedback, when on the main page with the list of forums, you can navigate to subforums, eg to navigate to bargain alerts, the parent consumer forum is not clickable, so no way of getting into bargain alerts. Tis same with all other subforums
    Yeah there is a few things not working on that skin. Fixing it or a whole new mobile skin is on the to do list but it could be a while.

• Advertisement

Yeah there is a few things not working on that skin. Fixing it or a whole new mobile skin is on the to do list but it could be a while.
    Ok cool, thanks for the fast replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

I find if you download Opera Mini 3 it is the best browser to use boards.ie with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

PRND wrote: »
    I find if you download Opera Mini 3 it is the best browser to use boards.ie with.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I find with Opera on the Archos 605WiFi that the Java menus are VERY awkward as it is touch screen with no cursor. "hovering" with the stylus to bring up tha java menu brings up the Archos/Opera context menu 1st. The java menu needs to activate faster when touch not click.

that mobile theme has serious issues dude...
    ...well that might be exaggerated, but it is a bit dodgy on my n95

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I use my E65 to read boards and have had no problems at all. I post alot no using my phone.

Download opera mini and try using that. Works a treat for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kearnsr wrote: »
    I use my E65 to read boards and have had no problems at all. I post alot no using my phone.

Download opera mini and try using that. Works a treat for me

i posted this using my E65 with the help of 3

Ya i would like to use opera or tea shark, but as i said before i'm behind a proxy which requires authentication and opera etc dont support this yet :mad:

Ya i would like to use opera or tea shark, but as i said before i'm behind a proxy which requires authentication and opera etc dont support this yet :mad:

Why dont you use your phones data connection? Boards is mobile. It just cant take account of your proxy or rather your proxy cant take account of boards.

Its like me in work. Facebook is banned but I get around that

Why dont you use your phones data connection? Boards is mobile. It just cant take account of your proxy or rather your proxy cant take account of boards.

Its like me in work. Facebook is banned but I get around that

I dont have a data plan so no point going that route. Its not the proxy that causes the problem its the browser. If opera had settings for using a proxy id be flying, but instead i have to use the nokia browser.

And as nevf already touched on boards isnt really mobile.

I dont have a data plan so no point going that route.

Well thats like saying I dont have BB because I dont pay for it. Like every thing to day if you wont something you'll have to pay for it.

And as nevf already touched on boards isnt really mobile.

In all fairness boards is mobile and if you've the right gear it works perfect.

In all fairness boards is mobile and if you've the right gear it works perfect.
    It does work, almost perrfectly, but there's just parts of it that dont seem to work in the mobile theme. Doesn't bother me too much to be honest, but it is a bit hard to get around...

...i'm using opera mini btw.

nevf wrote: »
    It does work, almost perrfectly, but there's just parts of it that dont seem to work in the mobile theme. Doesn't bother me too much to be honest, but it is a bit hard to get around...

...i'm using opera mini btw.

I dont use the mobile theme (unless it loads automatically) and I've had no problems

I dont use the mobile theme (unless it loads automatically) and I've had no problems
    for the n95, I just use whatever theme loads, i dont bother with mobile really. but i have tried it, and tbh i dont like it(mobile theme).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've found the minimal theme works quite well, loads slightly faster but has full functionality.

Also I've been browsing boards with an iPhone a lot lately and I've found that disabling javascript (if you can do that on the n95) gives a huge speed boost. Disables the top nav aswell but it's worth it for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Well thats like saying I dont have BB because I dont pay for it. Like every thing to day if you wont something you'll have to pay for it.

Ah take your finger outa your hole will ya:mad:, i dont want a data plan thats why i dont have one:rolleyes:.

Sine im close to wifi hotspots nearly all day im gona use them (have to connect through a proxy to the hotspots i use). All i wanted to know was if there was a mobile version. My question was answered by almighty cushion.
    kearnsr wrote:

Well woop di f*ckin doo, praise the lord. But I am having a problem thats why i came to the feedback forum to sort things out. If you have something helpful to add to the thread, go for it. If not please dont post again

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've found the minimal theme works quite well, loads slightly faster but has full functionality.

Also I've been browsing boards with an iPhone a lot lately and I've found that disabling javascript (if you can do that on the n95) gives a huge speed boost. Disables the top nav aswell but it's worth it for me anyway.

Cool, must try out the minimal one so. Not sure if i can disable the javascript on the N95 but ill check it out. Thanks for the helpful post :D:D

Cool, must try out the minimal one so. Not sure if i can disable the javascript on the N95 but ill check it out. Thanks for the helpful post :D:D
    what browser are you using?

nevf wrote: »
    what browser are you using?

I have to use the nokia browser in the phone because opera and tea shark dont support proxies that need authentication.

Advertisement