Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Boards!

Options
  • 03-05-2008 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place so feel free to move.

Was just looking at the subscribers list and something popped into my head,what is the running costs of boards.ie every year?!

Think I counted 947 subscribers at €50 a pop,that's a cool €47350. Now that figure wouldn't include any Mod's that may pay the sub afaik,or the revenue from advertising.

Just wondering,not trolling.

Killian.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours.

If you counted that from the subscribers list then it would include mods who pay a subscription. The hosting costs for a site like this wouldn't be cheap (I'd imagine) and you have to take into account all the hardware costs as well as the fact that boards has it's own employee now. The coke and hookers for all us mods don't come cheap either (well except smashey's hookers are but he likes 'em cheap :p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

(well except smashey's hookers are but he likes 'em cheap :p).

Hey don't be so tough on yore ma there AC, €5(or whatever it is in £) was a lot of money back in her day

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

She ripped you off, Dick*: she lets me have her for a shiney Nickel :D

*had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not every subscriber will have paid €50

By the way, how do I see the subscriber list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed its not like everyone paypals a years sub together so the amount in the kitty at any time is much lower. Also subs are not all renewed of course.

Should boards have subscription features?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Isn't someone also employed by boards?

Even if they are only getting paid an entry level IT salary then thats at least €25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Subscribe! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

esel wrote: »
    Subscribe! :D

I was subscribed but it just ran out
    Sherifu wrote: »

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Gillo wrote: »
    Isn't someone also employed by boards?

Yes, CuLT. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Speaking of which I havent got paid this week. Must take the matter up with the lads, this just isnt on! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Sully wrote: »
    Speaking of which I havent got paid this week. Must take the matter up with the lads, this just isnt on! :p

Well you haven't reached your ban quota in weeks. You're getting soft!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cornbb wrote: »
    Well you haven't reached your ban quota in weeks. You're getting soft!

Meh. Since been compared to the censorship thingy in Tibet, I felt I needed to chillax a bit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Double any salary to take account of employer overheads.

Sully wrote: »

Yeah, we've been let go. Boards.ie is planning to bring in more efficient Ruubots in order to bring the site where the Admins want it to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Myth wrote: »
    Yeah, we've been let go. Boards.ie is planning to bring in more efficient Ruubots in order to bring the site where the Admins want it to go.

Silly admins, do they not realise that even one more Ruubot and they themselves will be obsolete? Two Ruus could run this thing in their sleep, if it weren't or the fact that Ruus don't sleep

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think we have about 200 odd full subscribers. I feckin wish it were 900+!

We currently employ two people, Cult and Vexorg. I'm not going to go into the details of their salary. Cult pokes the tech and Vex pokes Cult.

We spent a bunch of money on a load of kit so that we'd retain ownership of the equipment and the rest is in the bank for legal costs. The backup server alone costs something staggering like 6k!

We are reaching the point where we have more money then we use but to think that thats all good is shortsighted. We need to move to a position where we can maintain the platform and protect against the future.

Out little site was all well and good when it was some backwater niche for those weird games players and no one gave a sh*t about us but as it most into the spotlight of mainstreamness its like a small ship leaving harbour... you need to be prepared for the biggest waves it can through at you.

Does anyone here think its going to get EASIER for us (all) in the future?

The first 10 years were the easy part, from here on it gets hard.

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Any chance of a Job?

I make great coffee....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

DeVore wrote:
    The first 10 years were the easy part, from here on it gets hard.
    Yeah, the mods will start demanding a higher class of hooker.

As with all success stories, with glow of the spotlight comes the heat. :)

I dunno, all I can say is thank you. You are now at least half of my social life, right here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any chance of a Job?

I make great coffee....

I think starbucks are looking for staff. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

DeVore wrote: »
    Cult pokes the tech and Vex pokes Cult.

DeV.

(Insert Homer Simpson style giggle) He He He :D

I just hope CuLT practises safe sex, we wouldn't want him getting a virus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just hope CuLT practises safe sex, we wouldn't want him getting a virus. :D
    Safe Vex I hope.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ruubots become self sentient in 2012.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

See Boss the Microwave & Time Machine Forum has it's uses, you just gotta approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

watty wrote: »
    Double any salary to take account of employer overheads.

The coke and hookers were already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FruitLover wrote: »
    The coke and hookers were already mentioned.
    are rugby players cheap like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KtK wrote: »

Yeah, the mods will start demanding a higher class of hooker.

Disease free would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal wrote: »
    are rugby players cheap like?
    God, yeah, so cheap some of 'em will pay you! Unfortunately, as AC said 'tis only Smashey is satisfied with those kind of hookers. :(

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    Disease free would be nice

Some of the ones we have now are disease free. I like it, it adds to the excitement. It's like russian roulette except with stds instead of bullets so no downside.

Advertisement