Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the biggest game install you've had?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Someone who's on the Age of Conan beta said that the game is 32gbs to install!! :eek:

I remember a good few years ago. I bought MGS2 for the PC and installed it fully to my pc (cutscenes and all etc) and it came to 8gb. This was at the time most games were 2gb max. So I was pretty taken back.

Fast forward to today and its still up there. I think wow might have been 7gb, I can't remember.
    I know supcom currently takes up 8gb on my HD but I'm not so sure it was 8gb when I originally installed it.

Most other games are still 3-5 gb installs.

So what games have required the biggest install space that you can remember?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Most of my games at the moment are weighing in at 8gb...Not too helpful when the PC I'm playing on has a 60gb harddrive (and iTunes takes up a fair amount of space). Upgrade coming soon.

But yeah I remember the classic days where if a game needed MB, things had to be deleted and it was a major amount of space!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was actually thinking about this the last day. I laughed when I saw theme hospital take up 60MB

World of warcraft is almost 9GB atm, next expansion will prob throw another 5GB on to that. WoW is my heaviest

I heard about conan being 32GB alright. I can't imagine ever getting the beta to such a game considering my DL cap is 30GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Krieg wrote: »
    I heard about conan being 32GB alright. I can't imagine ever getting the beta to such a game considering my DL cap is 30GB

The download is 13GB and requires 30GB of disk space to install. Thats my biggest so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I dont have any hugely HDD heavy games, but i remember back in 2000 when I got Baldurs Gate 2, full install was a rather uncomfortable 4.5gig, back when my HDD was a total of 7gig. Worth it though, awesome game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Half Life 2 + extras hitting around 20gigs total.

I think Cod4 is around 6 is it?

C&C3 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Removed my install of UT2004 on my Mac there a few weeks ago, freed up about 7GB.

Most of the other games that i have installed aren't as hefty (550MB for Fallout, 3.73GB for Call of Duty 2 etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dunno about size but final fantasy 11... a whopping 11 discs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

32GB :eek: Woah. Seems a bit weird that its that big! Whats taking up all the space? High-def textures etc..? Considering its four or five times as big as any other PC game I've come across, seems really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well I was mainly talking about intial install space, games do end up being a few extra GB's after awhile with mods and stuff. I think my WoW install reached 10gb in the end, with over 1gb just on screenshots.

But anyway I was thinking. Now this might be a little crazy. But as a way to fight PC game piracy. What if they made games MASSIVE, intentionally?

Like 50gb. Now, I don't mean the actual install. When you install the game it would take the usual amount. But the game itself would be 50gb on the discs (or bluray if games start to come out on that)

The idea being making the file so big that it wouldnt be so easy to download from the internet.

hmmm...

bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Medieval II: Total War is around 13 gigs :pac:

Well worth it though just for the chance to kill thousands of English scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Medieval II: Total War and its expansion pack, dunno about size but took fu*kin agggggggges to install

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But anyway I was thinking. Now this might be a little crazy. But as a way to fight PC game piracy. What if they made games MASSIVE, intentionally?

Like 50gb. Now, I don't mean the actual install. When you install the game it would take the usual amount. But the game itself would be 50gb on the discs (or bluray if games start to come out on that)

The idea being making the file so big that it wouldnt be so easy to download from the internet.

hmmm...

bah.

I don't think that would work. Firstly we'd have to move to blu-ray to support the massive games. Given the small install base of blu-ray that eliminates a lot of the market. If you release a dvd version it would have to be on 10 dvds to support the massive files. This still wouldn't stop piracy though as the people who pirate the game will just remove all the bloat that isn't needed and upload that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Froot wrote: »

LMAO ^^^ That right there is quote of the week for me :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Froot wrote: »

LMAO ^^^ That right there is quote of the week for me :pac::pac::pac: medeval total war probbly was my biggest game installed to date too .

I don't think that would work. Firstly we'd have to move to blu-ray to support the massive games. Given the small install base of blu-ray that eliminates a lot of the market. If you release a dvd version it would have to be on 10 dvds to support the massive files. This still wouldn't stop piracy though as the people who pirate the game will just remove all the bloat that isn't needed and upload that.

Well there is no way to stop it, just make it harder or slow it. But yeah your pretty much right.

& tbh anything that makes life more difficult for those that actually bought the game I'd be against.

Then of course theres the fact that downloading game legit is becoming ever more popular and could well be the future.

Well I was mainly talking about intial install space, games do end up being a few extra GB's after awhile with mods and stuff. I think my WoW install reached 10gb in the end, with over 1gb just on screenshots.

hmmm...

bah.
    Well tbh, the size of some of the current games online puts me off even trying them out.

****, I think it was strangle hold was ~12gigs. Better off buying it for the 360 at that rate.

kaimera wrote: »
    Well tbh, the size of some of the current games online puts me off even trying them out.

****, I think it was strangle hold was ~12gigs. Better off buying it for the 360 at that rate.

yeah hence my thinking. But then again if you were in Sweden 12gb would be nothing with their internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I remember back in the day when I put Fallout in the drive and the HUMONGOUS Install was only 800-ish MB.

yeah hence my thinking. But then again if you were in Sweden 12gb would be nothing with their internet.
    but we aren't in SWE :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's all relative. As Conor108 points out, older games that have a small install now seemed to have a monsterous install years ago. I said in another thread that I had to clear stuff from my harddisk when I installed Ultima 7, years ago. It had an incredible 8mb install that was a huge chuck of my harddisk.

Give it a couple of years and Conan's massive install will be tiny and we'll be wondering how we ever played games that took up so little space :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭WEST

Think the biggest install would have to be x-plane 9 at about 70gig:

http://www.x-plane.com/sysreq.html

humanji wrote: »
    It's all relative. As Conor108 points out, older games that have a small install now seemed to have a monsterous install years ago. I said in another thread that I had to clear stuff from my harddisk when I installed Ultima 7, years ago. It had an incredible 8mb install that was a huge chuck of my harddisk.

Give it a couple of years and Conan's massive install will be tiny and we'll be wondering how we ever played games that took up so little space :D

Oh of course, but there are certain games that require an installs way bigger then the current standard. As I said, MGS2 was 8gb years ago when getting 30gb hds - 60gb hds was the standard and games were at most 2gb to install. Now we're seeing games that are 8gb but these days 200 - 500 gb hds are the standard. If not more. And still your typical FPS these days is only 4-6gb.

So its quite a big leap to 32gb. But due to HDs getting much bigger, much faster, and much cheaper. 32gb aint to much of an issue. Cept for those gaming on a lappy! Its still quite leap though. which made me wonder if there was any other games with such a leap:

WEST wrote: »
    Think the biggest install would have to be x-plane 9 at about 70gig:

http://www.x-plane.com/sysreq.html

holy fkin ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Biggest I've ever had installed would be fully patched up SWG, at around 15gigs I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

holy fkin ****!

+1. And it doesn't even look that good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Dawn of War I think, at 15 gb. Although it's 1 game with 3 expansions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Assassins Creed, Crysis, Turok all weigh in at 8GB+.

Stangehold is something ridiculous like 16GB download and 18GB install.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

I remember star wars supremacy max 112 MB, min 44 MB :D. And Tie fighter was in Byte, no K or M.

Biggest NWN2 + Expansion somewhere between 9 and 11 GB

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

my age of conan beta folder has 45gb in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Flight Simulator X Deluxe edition is 15GB, most people would have Add ons too, new scenery/planes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

My Steam folder is up to 16.4 gigs but it used to be bigger.

I just checked and I think I'm taking too many screenshots in TF2, 704 megs of jpgs... :o

Advertisement