Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating Installation Cost Guide?

• 03-05-2008 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I know this is like asking "how long is a bit of string?" but I'd appreciate advice anyway.

We're considering buying an renovating an older home that currently has no heating. Before I finalise the offer I need some idea of how much heating installation might cost. This is a terraced house, city centre, so mains gas, electricity, or LPG would all theoretically work.

This is a 2 up, 2 down with a kitchen and bath extension out the back. We'd be looking at 5 rads and a heated twoel rack in the bath. The estate agent said "around €6,000" for the whole job, but that seems expensive to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I have renovated a few houses,as the owner ,not a worker. I forget the details now. have had gas and oil. but I doubt if 6,000 is too dear. it involves quite a bit of work but there are modern ways of piping that may save on taking up floors. tip.Spend plenty on damp proofing and insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the info.

They can take up whatever they like, as all the floors and most of the walls will have to be replaced anyway and we'll be DIYing the electrics at the same time. It's going to be a very, very expensive tip for a while there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

6k will easily be spent

ensure all hidden pipes are insulated

get the best boiler you can - look here

get the best hot water cylinder you can - stainless stell if poss. - with min 75mm of factory applied insulation . then place it in an insulated cupboard ( stud partitions with insualtion between studs )

http://www.sei.ie/app_harp_boilers.asp?ID=1

break the house into 3 zones

1 - hot water - put your towels rads on this zone too ( or onto zone 4 )
    2. - ground floor
    3. - first floor

all zones to be time controlled ( time clocks ) and temp controlled ( stats )

spend all you can on insulation - even more important than any of the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the info.

They can take up whatever they like, as all the floors and most of the walls will have to be replaced anyway and we'll be DIYing the electrics at the same time. It's going to be a very, very expensive tip for a while there!

then you MUST get a RECI registered electricain to carry out an inspection and certity when the works are completed .

Better still , don't DIY the elecs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

sinnerboy wrote: »
    then you MUST get a RECI registered electricain to carry out an inspection and certity when the works are completed .

Better still , don't DIY the elecs

Oh I know! And we're not talking about a huge amount of work here - just new outlets and such, not a complete electrical overhaul.

• Advertisement
Advertisement