Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling micra - buying renault - advice please?

• 03-05-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm selling my 2003 micra in order to buy a Renault Scenic (due 2nd baby in 8 weeks time, need more space)

I have some questions - can you advise me?

Am I better off buying and selling privately? Or selling privately then buying from a garage? Or just trading in?

Micra is perfect, 33,000 miles on clock, I'm 2nd owner - what is it worth?

Anyone any experience of Renaults? I really just want a 'Mom car', won't be doing mad miles but need space for a double buggy, plus countless baby type stuff and 2 car seats. I like the scenic because it's only 1.4 engine and seems to have plenty of storage. But are they fairly reliable??

I have around 6,500 euros to spend, plus the micra. I'd get a 2003 scenic for that I think.

Also - whats the story with buying in the North? Is it complicated or expensive to change reg etc. Any charges for buying outside the Republic?

Thanks in advance? Sorry if they're stupid questions - it's my first real expensive (to me!) car purchase. I inherited the Micra.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

In an ideal world you would always be better off to buy and sell privately.
    The micra really shouldnt be hard to sell, they are reliable enough and jap so they appeal to people starting off.
    I'd look at carzone and the likes and put a sensible price on it, its better just to get rid if it than to be hanging on for ages waitin for someone to pay for an over priced car.
    As for the renault, well i wouldn't be a fan, though i have driven a few of them (not the senic) and always found them very comfortable.
    In around a city they will prob be all right but if you are on bad roads you will be shelling out for suspension parts as they wear out pretty easily.
    Electrics can be a bit ropey too
    I'd chance buying one private but then again i am a mechanic.
    If you found one that was just tested with a history and got it at the right money, ie less than what they asking then go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

If you are going to buy a 03 Scenic,make sure its an old model as they are much better reliability wise. A 03 New Model has its problems as most first year production cars have. If you are looking at a private car and if the mileage is 40000 or above,ask if the timing belt has been done. The water pump is often replaced at the same time. If it hasn't been done,budget for about €800----but it needs to be done,as on most cars or an expensive bill will follow!!!
    Ignition Coils are another known fault--there are 4/one for each spark plug.
    Poor running will signal that one or more may be on the way out. Dont be alarmed,its a well documented Renault Problem amd they will carry the can for a percentage of it! They are approx €60 each retail.
    They are a brilliant family car though. If you have had a Scenic,it is very hard to go back to a normal type car.The 1.4 is a little underpowered,but fine as a run around.
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Don't. :eek:

Advertisement