Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychology Conversion Course Open University

• 03-05-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am interested in pursuing the open university psychology conversion higer diploma course. I am a secondary school teacher and also hold a post graduate guidance and counselling qualification.

I will have to take the following:

level 2 exploring psychology (DSE 212) (60 credits)
    level 2 exploring psychology project (DXR222) (15 credits)

level 2 child development (ED209) (60 credits)
    level 3 cognitive psychology (DD303) (60 credits)
    level 3 social psychology (DD307)

Whilst I studied psychology as part of my higher diploma in education and in my higher diploma in guidance and counselling, I am not sure if this will entitle me to an exemption from any of the modules - I have heard it is difficult to get exempt from any of the above but I will enquire from the open university...In the meantime any feed back on this would be much appreciated...

I am thinking of enrolling on the above so that in a few years time it may open doors to me into perhaps the whole area of educational psychology (although i am aware of the few post grad places availabel), counselling or organisational/occupational psychology). In addition the subject is fascintating.

I have read some of the threads on boards in relation to psychology at the open university but would be grateful for any additional feedback in relation to the above....

e.g. what is the work load like etc? is it possible to obtain a 2.1 (provided the work is put in etc) is there any pattern in relation to exam questions etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Regards,
    Donna

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd imagine you could get a lot of exemptions on that course given your background. Ring them - they'll ask for a copy of your academic transcript so they can see what amount of credit transfer they can give you.

You can definitely get a 2:1 on that course, and you're very lucky that the way the OU terms run are from Jan-October, so you'll be able to get lots of study done during your 3 month summer break :)

Advertisement