Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knowledge is Power

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2019 - 65) How to Hide and Empire: A History of the Greater United States - Daniel Immerwahr.

An great readable account of non mainland US interests. One of the best books I've read this year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2019 - 66) Who Moved My Cheese? - Spencer Johnson

A modern parable on embracing change in both life and business. Read it over breakfast one morning.

2020 - 1) Paul McCartney: The Life - Philip Norman

Having previously read a John Lennon bio by the same author I found this one quite interesting too. Maca comes across as the more gifted musically.

2020 - 2) Navy SEAL Training Class 144: My BUD/S Journal - Stephen Templin

An interesting insight into the world of Navy Seal training.

2020 - 3) Stop at Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbull - Annabel Crabb

Was looking for more of a linear biography. Instead the story jumped around. Some interesting snippets.

• Advertisement

2020 - 4) Not Afraid Secrets of Eminem: Birth to 2019 - Lisa Gardiner

This is a prime example of a straight to kindle unlimited book. Really could have done with some editing. Comes across as a young kids notes on their fav. artist. Difficult to read.

2020 - 5) Victoria The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire - Julia Baird

A good bio of the subject with bonus historical context. Expanded my knowledge on the late 19th and early 20th century.

2020 - 6) Fantastic Mr.Fox - Roald Dahl

2020 - 7) Hells Angels: Biker Wars - RJ Parker.

Background on bikers and gang warfare predominantly in North America.

2020 - 8) The Twits - Roald Dahl

Laugh out loud stuff.

• Advertisement

2020 - 9) The Laughing Policeman: My Brilliant Career in the New Zealand Police - Glenn Wood.

Part 1 of 2 detailing the authors police cadet training. Funny.

2020 - 10) Georges Marvelous Medicine - Roald Dahl.

Poor grandma.

2020 - 11) Cop Out: The end of my career in the New Zealand Police - Glenn Wood.

Part 2 of 2 detailing the end of his police career after a couple of years. Very funny. Enjoyed both part 1 and 2, but 2 more so.

2020 - 12) The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin.

Noticed this on the bookshelf stamped with "read me in a day". Quick enough read. The story poses various philosophical questions in a sci-fi fashion.

2020 - 13) D DAY Through German Eyes (book 1): The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944 - Holger Eckhertz.

I enjoyed this book 1 ... however upon checking various reviews it seems both book 1 and 2 are fiction not fact.

2020 - 14) D DAY Through German Eyes (book 2): The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944 - Holger Eckhertz.

Didn't enjoy this as much as book 1 - because now I know that it is all fiction vs the fact it is selling itself as.

2020 - 15) Extreme Ownership - Jocko Willink & Leif Babin.

Stories of Navy Seal experiences in Iraq wrapped up with a leadership principle and business lesson per chapter. Stories were interesting reading. Principles and business lessons were a bit simplisitc.

2020 - 16) Charlie Chaplin: A Life From Beginning to End - Hourly History.

A very quick read.

2020 - 17) Never Split the Difference - Chris Voss

FBI negotiator outlines his negotiation strategy.

2020 - 18) The 5 Love Languages - Gary Chapman

An easy read outlining five different ways people relate to each other.

• Advertisement

2020 - 19) The Devil's Mariner: A Life of William Dampier, Pirate and Explorer, 1651-1715 - Anton Gill.

This was a long jumbled read which could have done with finer editing.

2020 - 20) Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs...She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a... - Paul Carter.

A quick & easy read. Funny memoir detailing the authors adventures working on the oil rigs around the world.

2020 - 21) Bread Baking for Beginners - Bonnie O'Hara.

A straight forward read on bread baking. First recipe forms the core of it which the rest build upon.

2020 - 22) Twiggy: The High-Stakes Life of Andrew Forrest - Andrew Burrell.

Bio of the Iron Ore magnate.

2020 - 23) The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector’s Story - David John & Lee Hyeon-Seo.

Documents the authors life before and after defection from North Korea.

2020 - 24) Working Class Boy - Jimmy Barnes.

Part 1 of 2. Details the childhood of the man who went on to front Cold Chisel.

2020 - 25) Jimi Hendrix: A Life from Beginning to End - Hourly History

2020 - 26) The Korean War (You Choose: Modern History) - Michael Burgan.

An interesting overview of the Korean War where you got to choose the character and some of their actions. Read it as history refresher for some of the other Korean books I've read & am planning to read.

2020 - 27) The Club King: My Rise, Reign, and Fall in New York Nightlife - Peter Gatien.

• Advertisement

2020 - 28) James Packer: The Price of Fortune - Damien Kitney.

Story of the third in the family dynasty.

Advertisement