Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Panic, GPA's, Exams and stuff

• 03-05-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    It's that time of the year where I start to panic and become anxious about the past year and the year that I am (hopefully) about to step into. I'm in second year Arts and all of this year has been tough. Not the actual coursework but rather than the whole year has left me exhausted. I work for a well known cosmetics company and they've sucked the life outta me.:( While this semester was not a complete disaster I know that I could have done better if I wasn't working everyday. I got my hours cut but it all took it's toll and I ended up sick for most of the semester. Work would not allow me to take any time off, even when I needed hospital care, my boss went crazy.

Now it's beginning to hit me how much I need my exams to go well. Taking semester one into consideration too, my GPA (from what I've heard, is not good at all) Having said that, I admit I do not understand the GPA system very clearly. This semester I got one C and one C- :o The rest were B's. A lecturer told me that I should not be working but I can't stop as I won't be able to afford rent. The Government Grant realistically only pays for around 3 months rent so quitting work is not an option. Obviously I need to find a new job as my new manager is a demon who rostered me to work during exams. When I complained she cut my hours down to onloy 4 a week which will only give me around euro34. That won't keep my rent up for too long.

So basically I am just freaking out. I love Medieval English and if I was one day to do a Masters I would do it in this subject. However, I realise that this probably won't happen as good GPA's are needed and after this year, mine is a joke.

Is anybody else in a similar situation, where they feel like they're worn out but that they have so much left to do? I know I need to do well in my exams but I don't fancy my chances...

Advice would be great ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭FledNanders

ah don't be too freaked out. If you got mainly Bs in your continuous assesment you should be fine, people generally do better in exams than they think they will (in my experience anyway)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

This may be of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

ah don't be too freaked out. If you got mainly Bs in your continuous assesment you should be fine, people generally do better in exams than they think they will (in my experience anyway)...

I sure hope so ;)
    elgriff wrote: »
    This may be of use

Sorry, it won't open for me. Apparently it is 'damaged'?! What was it?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

When you say you got a c, c- and rest b's you mean in conitinous assessment this semester? Or in your semester 1 overall? If it semester 1 then thats good stuff, you will be in 2.1(2nd honours Grade 1) situation I think. If its continous assesment this semeter than thats still good. Just do your best in your exams.

You still have 3rd year to do so can make up for it then if you feel you haven't gotten good results :)

When you say you got a c, c- and rest b's you mean in conitinous assessment this semester? Or in your semester 1 overall? If it semester 1 then thats good stuff, you will be in 2.1(2nd honours Grade 1) situation I think. If its continous assesment this semeter than thats still good. Just do your best in your exams.

You still have 3rd year to do so can make up for it then if you feel you haven't gotten good results :)

No sorry, I meant that was just this semester. Last semester was even worse. I wasn't good with my time management at all. Over the Xmas break I decided that I needed try deal with college and work more efficiently and I tried to do very well this semester. So far my grades are better but still in no way 'good'.

So tell me... What's a really, really horiffic GPA to have at the end of semester one?? Come on tell me... I'm ready... *holds breath*...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I worked in the first semester and I will never work during College time ever again. My GPA took a hammering. If you can you should work your ass off in the summer, calculate your expenditure for the next year and work to obtain that amount, so your free to study. GPA is easy to calculate, it is 2.0-2.47 for a pass degree, 2.48-3.07 for a 2:2, 3.08-3.67 for a 2:1 and 3.68 and higher for a first. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I worked in the first semester and I will never work during College time ever again. My GPA took a hammering. If you can you should work your ass off in the summer, calculate your expenditure for the next year and work to obtain that amount, so your free to study. GPA is easy to calculate, it is 2.0-2.47 for a pass degree, 2.48-3.07 for a 2:2, 3.08-3.67 for a 2:1 and 3.68 and higher for a first. Good luck.

some people need to keep working through the year though.

well if your GPA is 2.48 and above you'll be getting a 2.2 so thats quite good.
    Most courses look for a 2.1 for postgraduate study, but you'll still have next year to bring yours up. I'd suggest looking for somewhere just at weekends work wise though, its not worth sacrificing your education for a part time job.

I need to work though. I've tried to look at other ways of managing but unless I find a VERY HIGH paying job that only requires two days a week, I think I might be pretty much screwed. My job was fine at first but then it got out of control and because I was so worn out I got very sick and then that affected my college work too. The college doctor sent me into hospital so I was lucky I got some extensions but I'm really nervous about my exams. And my GPA is bad, bad, bad :(
    some people need to keep working through the year though.

well if your GPA is 2.48 and above you'll be getting a 2.2 so thats quite good.
    Most courses look for a 2.1 for postgraduate study, but you'll still have next year to bring yours up. I'd suggest looking for somewhere just at weekends work wise though, its not worth sacrificing your education for a part time job.
    Hmmm.... It's not 2.48, it's not TOO far off but still it's not great. I realise part time work is not helping my chances but if I being totally honest, I cannot stay in college if I don't work. So it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I'd say you can save up over summer for most your rent- that's what I'm doing- and just work about 15hr/week then. Get a better job! I really enjoy waitressing and care work so I do them both part time and it doesn't feel like work the way working in Dunnes felt like work.

You only need to go up about 10% in most of your subjects to get a really good degree! That'll bring you up to mostly As and a few Bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Have you considered getting student loans from the bank or from your family?

I was reading a article in the University Observer and I paraphrase the author by saying that working excessively is basically restricting your possibilities in the future by not putting time and effort into getting the best degree you can.

• Advertisement

lizzyvera wrote: »
    I'd say you can save up over summer for most your rent- that's what I'm doing- and just work about 15hr/week then. Get a better job! I really enjoy waitressing and care work so I do them both part time and it doesn't feel like work the way working in Dunnes felt like work.

You only need to go up about 10% in most of your subjects to get a really good degree! That'll bring you up to mostly As and a few Bs.

Yeah I really need to get another job. The place I am currently in is awful. The manager really doesn't care that I am in college. As I said, she rostered me to work DURING an exam... and then told me if I had a problem with it that I had to arrange for somebody to cover it myself. Coz I'm not stressed enough as it is! :rolleyes:

But thank you Lizzy, when you say I only need to improve by 10% that makes me feel much better. I hope it is not too late to still get a good degree.

Chakar wrote: »
    Have you considered getting student loans from the bank or from your family?

I was reading a article in the University Observer and I paraphrase the author by saying that working excessively is basically restricting your possibilities in the future by not putting time and effort into getting the best degree you can.

No, I do not wish to put financial strain on my family for my degree. I don't know about a loan, the idea of being in debt really scares me. Are student loans actually safe enough and easy to pay off? I'm afraid I'll end up in more trouble than I already am but it is a good suggestion to look into. Thanks.
    Chakar wrote: »
    I'd well believe it. I can tell you this is true first hand but the fact of the matter is I need to work. I know some students who's parents pay their rent/books/bills etc, I do not have that option and rightly so, as it is my education afterall. It is my issue to deal with.

I wouldn't even say that it has anything to do with 'effort' as such. I'm putting all I can into staying in college. As I said, I've been sick due to being run down. I really am working as hard as I can.

Anyway I don't really want to get into my financial business here, all I really need is to see I am not the only student who feels this strained and to find out whether I've basically messed up my degree by having such a bad year. Will 3rd year really be enough for me to redeem myself??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It should be if you can get a job with suitable hours allowing you to work on your assignments and study in general. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

2006/2007 Grade/GPAs		

Grade	Lower %	Upper %	GPA
    A+	76.67	100	4.2
    A	73.33	76.66	4
    A-	70	73.32	3.8
    B+	66.67	69.99	3.6
    B	63.33	67.66	3.4
    B-	60	63.32	3.2
    C+	56.67	59.99	3
    C	53.33	56.66	2.8
    C-	50	53.32	2.6
    D+	46.67	49.99	2.4
    D	43.33	46.66	2.2
    D-	40	43.32	2
    E+	36.67	39.99	1.6
    E	33.33	36.66	1.6
    E-	30	33.32	1.6
    F+	26.67	29.99	1
    FM (F)	23.33	26.66	1
    F-	20	23.32	1
    G+	16.67	19.99	0.4
    G	13.33	16.66	0.4
    G-	0.02	13.32	0.4
    NG		0.01	0

2006/2007 Honours Classification		

Honour		Weighted GPA	
    1st Class		3.68 and above	
    2.1		3.08 to 3.67 inclusive	
    2.2		2.48 to 3.07 inclusive	
    Pass		2.00 to 2.47 inclusive	

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

MizzLolly wrote: »
    No, I do not wish to put financial strain on my family for my degree. I don't know about a loan, the idea of being in debt really scares me. Are student loans actually safe enough and easy to pay off? I'm afraid I'll end up in more trouble than I already am but it is a good suggestion to look into. Thanks.

I have a student loan, its OK, I have the one from bank of Ireland. I didn't need a guarantee or anything. I had 12 months to pay it back interest free, if i didn't i could work out a payment plan. Its a handy option, they're manageable.

Will 3rd year really be enough for me to redeem myself??? :confused:

Yes(if you are in Arts :p). Its not like your failing, you have been getting B's and C's so far you said so :confused:

Yes(if you are in Arts :p). Its not like your failing, you have been getting B's and C's so far you said so :confused:

Yeah but only this semester and it wasn't easy. I'm hearing so much lately that this year's results will be more important than next years??? Why oh why wasn't I told this at the beginning of the year???

Last semester I think I got two D's or something. Eurrrgghhh... Panic!! My God. This semester has been better. I don't think I've ever done badly in an English essay but stupid, poxy Liam Lannigan fleeced me and gave me a C-. I think I'm just worried because now I have two C's! I'd have felt much more confident had they been B's! :mad:

Ah maybe I'm just freaking out for no real reason.

Better get cramming!

Good luck everyone in yer exams :)

Yeah but only this semester and it wasn't easy. I'm hearing so much lately that this year's results will be more important than next years??? Why oh why wasn't I told this at the beginning of the year???

Last semester I think I got two D's or something. Eurrrgghhh... Panic!! My God. This semester has been better. I don't think I've ever done badly in an English essay but stupid, poxy Liam Lannigan fleeced me and gave me a C-. I think I'm just worried because now I have two C's! I'd have felt much more confident had they been B's! :mad:

Ah maybe I'm just freaking out for no real reason.

Better get cramming!

Good luck everyone in yer exams :)
    This years results won't be more important than your final year. They are both the same(For Arts anyway). All 12 modules year 2 and all 12 year 3 will be used to calculate your degree.

Don't worry, theres lots of people in the same situation study wise, I've done nothing so far really, it will be the day before job for alot of my exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i'll be brutally honest, if you thought 2nd year was tough wait until you hit 3rd year, 3rd year is hard, academically and mentally. that's my opinion and the opinion of most people i know in 3rd year Arts and that covers a number of subjects

i would say you shouldn't work at all next year, but i know that isn't realistically feasible for you and many other students in your situation

firstly, don't go back to your current job for next year, you don't need stress like that in your final year

secondly, launch a financial action plan for yourself now. like what others say, if you can work your ass off this summer to earn as much as possible to minimize the hours you have to work during 3rd year. only take a loan out as a last resort, loans can be avoidable and paying interest to the fat cat bankman is a pain in the hole. look at how you spend your disposable income, what is necessary, what isn't. apply for campus, scan every detail of what grant you're entitled to etc. (i'm sure you know all this anyway)

finally, i really do think if you work more than 10 hours per week in 3rd year you are probably putting a risk on not getting that 2:1. the benchmark for 2:1 is a GPA of 3.08. because your year are the first group to have their Arts degree weighted 50/50 if your 2nd year GPA is below 3.08 (2:1 degree) you will need to balance that out in 3rd year (e.g. if your 2nd year GPA is 2.90, you will need a 3rd year GPA of 3.26). roughly you need to be in the B's consistently to make the magic 3:08 figure.

naturally you will work harder in 3rd year without realising it, you will do better in 3rd year than 2nd year if you stay focused but too much work will be a distraction. over the next couple of months you've got to come up with your own plan that suits you and your circumstances, if you have to take out a loan then do but if you can work over the summer and earn a sizeable amount it may be just worth it when you graduate and get that postgrad course

don't panic, just stay focused and organise yourself and you'll be grand. good luck ! :)

My GPA is very bad, it's like 2.83 or something. (that's without taking this semester into considerartion)

So I think I'm pretty much screwed, now I dunno what to do. It feels like I've wasted the last two years on something that's gona be worth nothing. I wasn't even slacking off this year, I really did have to work.

I don't think it is possible for me to get all B's next year. I do get mostly B's but there's always that one tutor that slaps you with a bad grade. I wish they'd realise how hard certain students are actually trying. I know most of it is my own fault but only I didn't get that C-. I would feel far better.

It's not like one grade will make a big difference at this stage anyway. I think I'm screwed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Don't go into your exams this week thinking that you will do badly anyway, stay positive and do the best you can do. Don't panic and don't stay up all night cramming. Don't worry. It is still possible to get the masters you want, even if this year is worth 50%

You said that you haven't done badly in your English essays, and if you want to study Medieval literature, than that is the subject that will count the most. I'm not too sure how the GPA system works, but with the tradtional marking system if you were applying for an English masters internally, then the other subject did not count as long as you passed it and got an overall 2.2 grade. You should go and have a chat with one of the lecturers to find out how it works now.

My 2nd year was a complete joke. I probably missed half of my lectures and never handed anything in on time, and I left all my study until the very last minute, but I managed to pull my socks up in final year and I got the MA i wanted (American Lit.). I saved money during the summer so that I wouldn't have to work during final year. I know it's not easy if you are renting, but I would agree that working over 10 hours a week in your final year is not a good idea. Try to find a job that pays well over the summer, and get used to living on a strict budget.

You will be fine, it's far from impossible to still do well. Just don't panic, and DO NOT admit defeat.

I really don't like this pride thing some students have that they won't take money off their parents. I have friends from well off families who live at home and work through college. I think it's ridiculous. It wastes tax payers' money if you don't work hard and get a good degree and a good job and benefit the economy! Wasting tax money is immoral, accepting support from your parents is normal.

Honestly, for the sake of €50 a week, most parents would rather you didn't have a job, and especially coming up to exams! It is a well recognised factor in failure and drop out rates, (I think it's even in the UCD homework journal.)
    I don't live at home and I moved out without my parent's permission and on bad terms so I have to work a bit, but I keep my spending to €50 a week and I have savings. I'd rather take a year out and save if I had to that work 20 hours a week through college.

I really don't like this pride thing some students have that they won't take money off their parents. I have friends from well off families who live at home and work through college. I think it's ridiculous. It wastes tax payers' money if you don't work hard and get a good degree and a good job and benefit the economy! Wasting tax money is immoral, accepting support from your parents is normal.

Honestly, for the sake of €50 a week, most parents would rather you didn't have a job, and especially coming up to exams! It is a well recognised factor in failure and drop out rates, (I think it's even in the UCD homework journal.)
    I don't live at home and I moved out without my parent's permission and on bad terms so I have to work a bit, but I keep my spending to €50 a week and I have savings. I'd rather take a year out and save if I had to that work 20 hours a week through college.

It takes more than 50euro a week. My issue is financial, it is not about pride but thanks for that. It was really beneficial for me to know that while I'm wearing myself out working in order to get my degree, that I am being 'immoral' and wasting 'the taxpayers' (me being one of them) money!

I guess me being sent to hospital during it all was selfish? Yeah, damned student blocking up A+E.

You can't win! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Boredsie

It takes more than 50euro a week. My issue is financial, it is not about pride but thanks for that. It was really beneficial for me to know that while I'm wearing myself out working in order to get my degree, that I am being 'immoral' and wasting 'the taxpayers' (me being one of them) money!

I guess me being sent to hospital during it all was selfish? Yeah, damned student blocking up A+E.

You can't win! :rolleyes:

How about stop bitching and actually start doing a bit of work. She was only trying to help. And if you spent as much time working in the library as you seem to have done chatting on here over the past few days, you wouldn't be as ****ed as you seem to think you are. Attention-seeking is all this is. Good luck in your exams.

I wasn't directing that at you mizzlolly, I have to work too! I was just distracted by the topic of working through college.

An awful lot of students only work because they think that way they're being "independent" or something, when actually, the VAST majority of money being spent on them is by the state in tuition fees, and to waste that for the sake of some silly notion of self reliance is ridiculous.

I wonder are people budgeting properly if they have to work 15-20 hours a week, and why students are renting in D4/D6 (spending over €100 a week on rent alone!!!!) at the expense of their education. It's particularly silly when you can save enough over summer to cover rent for an entire year.

I wasn't directing that at you mizzlolly, I have to work too! I was just distracted by the topic of working through college.

An awful lot of students only work because they think that way they're being "independent" or something, when actually, the VAST majority of money being spent on them is by the state in tuition fees, and to waste that for the sake of some silly notion of self reliance is ridiculous.

I wonder are people budgeting properly if they have to work 15-20 hours a week, and why students are renting in D4/D6 (spending over €100 a week on rent alone!!!!) at the expense of their education. It's particularly silly when you can save enough over summer to cover rent for an entire year.

Hmm... fair enough, I can't say I know any D4's who work (actually I don't really hang around with any at all.) So I don't know, I'll take your word for it. But I do need to work. Particularily at the end of the year. I find the start os far easier, you probably know that yourself. By mid-year the funds start to disappear. And they're paying over a hundred a week for rent??? :eek: That's crazy. I'm not one of them. I'd stop if I could, I'll try do the saving thing over the summer so fingers crossed I'll get the new job. Anyway, first exam tomorrow, not too worried about it as I spent ALL day revising it. :eek: And I got a B+ in the essay for it. So it's a nice way to start.

Good luck lizzy and the others. Hopefully we won't be disappointed! :)

Boredsie wrote: »
    How about stop bitching and actually start doing a bit of work. She was only trying to help. And if you spent as much time working in the library as you seem to have done chatting on here over the past few days, you wouldn't be as ****ed as you seem to think you are. Attention-seeking is all this is. Good luck in your exams.

Get lost. Or at least learn to read before you address me again. I said many times that I have been working.. "actually start doing a bit of work". :rolleyes:

As for assuming the posts were bitchy, get real for God sake. Nobody's bitching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Okay I'm a bit confused and annoyed here. Going by GPA a 1st or 3.68 is equal to 87%! Likewise a 2.2 is 59%!

When I was in earlier years it was quite hard to get over 70% (I.e an old first) in things. Judging by the way a first is now a whopping 87% I can only assume the way they mark things has changed because other wise that's ridiculous, an old 2.1 is now just barely a 2.2!

Also for people in their final year (of a 4 year course) and so the old way of marking could you confirm that we get the old old honours system too?

So 40 is a pass, 50 a 2.2, 60 a 2.1 etc. I've emailed the programme office but if anyone could confirm things in the meantime that would be good because there's no way I'm getting 59%! (In old marks).

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A+ = 76.67-100 (4.2)
    A = 73.33-76.67 (4.0)
    A- = 70-73.33 (3.8)

And so on, that should help you get it. A 3.68 is 68% or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

How did I mess up the calculations so badly!? Could you spell it out for me please ?:o

Edit: I feel old and outdated...

Ahh I get it I think. It seems the GPA does not directly equate to % so 2.1 or 50% of 4.2 is not actually 50%. I feel relieved!

Advertisement