Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Panic, GPA's, Exams and stuff

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MizzLolly wrote: »
    My GPA is very bad, it's like 2.83 or something. (that's without taking this semester into considerartion)

trust me, that's not bad at all, there are students in a far worse position than you. if after these exams, your 2nd year Stage GPA remains around that you'll be on a solid platform for 3rd year. if you are on average in the B- and B category that will get you a 2.1. also don't forget you can use your electives wisely, it's very possible to get A+ in some electives (cue Ernie Ball having a hissy fit;) )
    Raphael wrote: »
    A 3.68 is 68% or so.
    no it doesn't. if you get 68% in a module you get a GPA of 3.6 for that module end of.

a 3.68 stage GPA does not correlate to any specific percentage. there has been tested mathematical formula for these GPA stage results and in the case of a student receiving a stage GPA of 3.68, if their results were calculated in percentages if could actually range for example anywhere 69.7% from to even 70.5%. there could actually be a case that a student who receives a stage or degree GPA of 3.67 could actually have a percentage of 70%. it's all very mathematically and hard to explain. i'm not going to pretend i'm a mathematical genius but the GPA system is very complex and a very small number of students who are marginal could gain or lose in comparison to what their results would have been if calculated in traditional percentage figures.

basically it would be dangerous to assume if you get a stage GPA of 3.68 you got 68% for the stage, it just doesn't work like that.

*note: 89.2% of this post probably doesn't make sense! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 White-Teeth

Hi MizzLolly,

First of all, I appreciate how hard it is to keep up both a part-time job and college, so well done for getting this far. Your aim should be to get through the end of this semester as well as you can, then re-assess your situation when the results come out.

With regards to a master's, your first year results will not make a difference to your degree GPA. Getting Bs and Cs is not that bad, and you can make things up next year. You probably already know that second year is worth 50% and third year is worth 50%.

Now, with regards to a master's, don't panic about a GPA all that much. You just need a 2.1 to apply for a master's, which judging by your grades, you CAN get. Do you want to do your master's in UCD?

You know what you want to do, and that's good. Next year, go to all your classes, get to know your professors. Visit them a few times during their office hours and show your passion for the subject. (They WILL remember this come decision time.)

Remember, an application for a master's will involve the professors taking many things into account, such as:

- Your academic history. Not just grades, but your contribution in class, etc.
    - If you're applying outside UCD, you'll also need two letters of recommendation, which is why it's important to get to know your professors.
    - Samples of your essay writing.

So you see, just because someone has a better GPA, does NOT mean they will get a place instead of you.

Good luck with everything in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

Is it true that you have to get over 35% to pass by compensation? or is it once u get an E (Over 30%) you can do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Hunty wrote: »
    Is it true that you have to get over 35% to pass by compensation? or is it once u get an E (Over 30%) you can do it?

Yes in first year anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

trust me, that's not bad at all, there are students in a far worse position than you. if after these exams, your 2nd year Stage GPA remains around that you'll be on a solid platform for 3rd year. if you are on average in the B- and B category that will get you a 2.1. also don't forget you can use your electives wisely, it's very possible to get A+ in some electives (cue Ernie Ball having a hissy fit;) )

no it doesn't. if you get 68% in a module you get a GPA of 3.6 for that module end of.

a 3.68 stage GPA does not correlate to any specific percentage. there has been tested mathematical formula for these GPA stage results and in the case of a student receiving a stage GPA of 3.68, if their results were calculated in percentages if could actually range for example anywhere 69.7% from to even 70.5%. there could actually be a case that a student who receives a stage or degree GPA of 3.67 could actually have a percentage of 70%. it's all very mathematically and hard to explain. i'm not going to pretend i'm a mathematical genius but the GPA system is very complex and a very small number of students who are marginal could gain or lose in comparison to what their results would have been if calculated in traditional percentage figures.

basically it would be dangerous to assume if you get a stage GPA of 3.68 you got 68% for the stage, it just doesn't work like that.

*note: 89.2% of this post probably doesn't make sense! :)

It's pretty annoying alright. It's the huge gap between 76.66% and 100% that distorts it so much.If you get 100% in 5 subjects and 50% in your 6th you get, your GPA is 3.93.

Your actual % average is 91.66%, but your GPA says you're between 73.33 and 76.66.

Applications for masters in smurfit ask for your actual % mark, when we only get GPA's, im just after sending one in, i gave the % equivalent of my GPA so i dont think i did myself any favours. Kinda stupid one stage of UCD doesn't give % marks and the next stage requires them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

Yes in first year anyway

Which question were you saying yes to?

Advertisement