Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf upgrade > R32 V Ed30?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey guys

So here is my dilemma, and i would like to hear your views.

I own a 1.9TDI SE sporty 3dr, the 105bhp one, 07reg!

Now i plan to upgrade once again in the next year or so and i have a huge drawing towards the MV-R32, I absolutely adore this car and although the figures of 20>25mpg and 2k road tax with a hefty insurance also i am still drawn to it.

I have searched high and low and it just seems cheaper to bring one in say a year or 2 old from the UK, a bog standard one, dont want DSG or recaro seats and a 3dr in that R32 blue would be ideal, so knocks a few grand off.

My dilemma is should i go for it or try the GTi edition 30 ?

I do like the R32 alot, but when spending that money i could go for either.
    I have read some earlier posts and you guys seem to say there aint much between the standard GTI and the R32, the GTI turbo makes up for that last 50BHP and AWD on the R32...but i am torn,, The ED30 is 230BHP and has that real kick in the ass of the GTI with a lil more and some real nice exterior trim extras.

Of course both are expensive in Ireland, Have seen 3 R32's in Dublin but never an ED30, So will be a UK import when i do go for it.
    My current diesel is a UK import so i familiar with the savings and UK market and they have plenty of choices to choose from.

I am a real golf fan, Would like these models,,,reading with interest about new scirrocco but i still rather the MKV Golf with some grunt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Get an R32, fantastic car with DSG. Have one myself, though changing to an RS4 next week. From driving both I would say that the R32 compares favourably with any M3, 335i or RS4. Have test driven all in the last few weeks. Only reason im changing is that im looking for 420 bhp!! Im still goin to badly miss my R32 when its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

MSporty wrote: »
    Get an R32, fantastic car with DSG. Have one myself, though changing to an RS4 next week. From driving both I would say that the R32 compares favourably with any M3, 335i or RS4. Have test driven all in the last few weeks. Only reason im changing is that im looking for 420 bhp!! Im still goin to badly miss my R32 when its gone.

R32 and rs4 might be simlar car but theres a huge price difference.Also the deprication is :eek: (nearly 30k in 1st year on the rs4)

What discount did you get off list price for the Rs4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Have a read of this r32 vr ed30 thread
    It from UK site but should be helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

There is a pretty large thread about MSportys RS4... lucky lucky lucky

I would go for the R32 assuming you can live with the annual tax, and slightly worse fuel consumption. I'm not a huge fan of the ED30 (wheels, stitching etc). I think you havent seen any in Ireland because I dont think they were sold here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

hmmm.... if it was me i'd take the new pirelli edition. In white. doesn't have the minging seats as in the ed30. All gorgeous cars mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Hi guys

Thanks for replies so far...

MSporty would love to hear your experience with the R32, costs (tax/insurance etc) and what type of Fuel consumption you got on it, oh and what you selling it for ?? RS4 is REAL nice, had a go in the RS5 in UK and WOW its amazing but not for my wallet unfortunately..enjoy.

Thanks lonshanks for that website,,i always used golfmkv.com and never knew about the GTI site.

Ramanujan I never knew about the pirelli edition, its basically the ED30 with better interior and alloys...I like it and now you just added a new contender into my equation...No doubt it wont make the Irish showrooms so back to UK again...Maybe lucky though.

I get annoyed when talking to the irish dealers, they laugh when i mention the R32 and scratch their head when i ask about the Ed30 so no doubt they wont have a clue about the Pirelli edition.

I thought i was on the pulse of Golf, and now the Pirelli is coming out.
    Is it just a ploy to extend GTI sales prior to the MKVI arrival ?

R32 and rs4 might be simlar car but theres a huge price difference.Also the deprication is :eek: (nearly 30k in 1st year on the rs4)

What discount did you get off list price for the Rs4?

A nice discount! And when im buying a car depreciation is usually only a secondary issue, i more interested in the car itself and that brilliant V8 engine. Its a fact of life that cars depreciate, if you worry about depreciation you'll never get the car you really want.

Yaeger,
    All I can say is that the R32 is a class car, the sound and acceleration make me smile every time i drive it. GTI drivers always look enviously at it too, its the car they really want. Tax is 1493 a year and im usually getting 20 MPG combined. I still havent traded the car in yet (handing it over next Sat so I can give you all the info on it if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

GTI drivers always look enviously at it too, its the car they really want.

I look adoringly at the R32 but not enviously:p I love my GTI but would not go as far as the R and be paying all that road tax - and also a factor for me was the slightly smaller boot cause of the rear wheel drive; two kids so two prams to fit.

Next up is an M5 but keeping GTI for another year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

yaeger wrote: »
    Ramanujan I never knew about the pirelli edition, its basically the ED30 with better interior and alloys...I like it and now you just added a new contender into my equation...No doubt it wont make the Irish showrooms so back to UK again...Maybe lucky though.

I thought i was on the pulse of Golf, and now the Pirelli is coming out.
    Is it just a ploy to extend GTI sales prior to the MKVI arrival ?

The ED30 was supposed to be a limited edition model in the UK, and a some owners were getting a bit peed off with the no let up in sales, so VW released the Pirelli to still have an uprated model to the GTI.

If the extra tax is not a problem and you don't get a kick in the face insurance quote like I did(I was quoted 3,000 extra for the 3.2 TT), it has to be the R32, it may not be that much quicker but the overall sense of occasion with the VR6 and the 4wd for the wet days, its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

yaeger wrote: »
    Hey guys

So here is my dilemma, and i would like to hear your views.

I own a 1.9TDI SE sporty 3dr, the 105bhp one, 07reg!

Now i plan to upgrade once again in the next year or so and i have a huge drawing towards the MV-R32, I absolutely adore this car and although the figures of 20>25mpg and 2k road tax with a hefty insurance also i am still drawn to it.

I have searched high and low and it just seems cheaper to bring one in say a year or 2 old from the UK, a bog standard one, dont want DSG or recaro seats and a 3dr in that R32 blue would be ideal, so knocks a few grand off.

My dilemma is should i go for it or try the GTi edition 30 ?

I do like the R32 alot, but when spending that money i could go for either.
    I have read some earlier posts and you guys seem to say there aint much between the standard GTI and the R32, the GTI turbo makes up for that last 50BHP and AWD on the R32...but i am torn,, The ED30 is 230BHP and has that real kick in the ass of the GTI with a lil more and some real nice exterior trim extras.

Of course both are expensive in Ireland, Have seen 3 R32's in Dublin but never an ED30, So will be a UK import when i do go for it.
    My current diesel is a UK import so i familiar with the savings and UK market and they have plenty of choices to choose from.

I am a real golf fan, Would like these models,,,reading with interest about new scirrocco but i still rather the MKV Golf with some grunt.

A sporty golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

groupb wrote: »
    A sporty golf?

We all know you hate VW. Many people would consider a 3 door hatchback to be sporty, the Opel astra sports hatch for example which is available with 1.3 diesel to 2.0T petrol engines. Perhaps more constructive comments would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Either Golf is gonna be a quantum leap over a 1.9TDI tractor engine. I would think a GTi, especially a special edition (Edition 30/Pirelli).

The GTi is gonna be the more sensible decision. Personally I don't see the point of the R32. If I wanted that calibre of engine I'd prefer it in something a bit more special than a Golf.

At the end of the day though if the R32 is what you REALLY want go for it. The GTi is probably an all-round better car though and more in tune with our times (MPG/CO2-wise)...

A nice discount! And when im buying a car depreciation is usually only a secondary issue, i more interested in the car itself and that brilliant V8 engine. Its a fact of life that cars depreciate, if you worry about depreciation you'll never get the car you really want.

Yaeger,
    All I can say is that the R32 is a class car, the sound and acceleration make me smile every time i drive it. GTI drivers always look enviously at it too, its the car they really want. Tax is 1493 a year and im usually getting 20 MPG combined. I still havent traded the car in yet (handing it over next Sat so I can give you all the info on it if you want?

I seen the car you are getting, Is it the black one in grange.It looks slick.

I do agree with you about deprication but im not in that class of buying a rs4 yet so i dont know about that much deprication.But anyway good luck with it.

PaulKK wrote: »
    We all know you hate VW. Many people would consider a 3 door hatchback to be sporty, the Opel astra sports hatch for example which is available with 1.3 diesel to 2.0T petrol engines. Perhaps more constructive comments would be helpful.

I do'nt hate vw but I certainly would'nt drive one by choice.(I have one as company transport at the moment) As has been said here a million times before they are a company that trade off past glories. I would love to own a mk1 1.8 gti .
    But calling something , with an engine that belongs in a museum , "sporty" is a little ott. My definition of sporty is something that drives well as well as looking good.Other people think differently. And by all accounts the current gti is a good car to drive so good luck with your choice. I do think the R32 looks like something that was designed by the max power boys , though.

I do'nt hate vw but I certainly would'nt drive one by choice.(I have one as company transport at the moment) As has been said here a million times before they are a company that trade off past glories. I would love to own a mk1 1.8 gti .
    But calling something , with an engine that belongs in a museum , "sporty" is a little ott. My definition of sporty is something that drives well as well as looking good.Other people think differently. And by all accounts the current gti is a good car to drive so good luck with your choice. I do think the R32 looks like something that was designed by the max power boys , though.

The R32 is hardly over the top, its fairly understated. Its in a different league from the GTI thats for sure. It has low down torque, 4 motion and most importantly the sound of that V6 is worth the price tag alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

A sporty golf?

well yea, there has been a few!!

what defines "sporty" in your book then?

to the OP, as someone mentioned earlier the reason for the end to the ed30 is that VW promised many edition30 owners a limited edition, similar to the 25th edition mk4. they then broke this promise due to the cars popularity.
    then they decided not to piss of their customers too much, and used the pirelli to achieve this.

Had a quick look on pistonheads, and there is some decent value in barely used ed30's. around 22k sterling. Probably not a bad option, as i'd imagine it would work out cheaper than buying a gti over here what with that favourable exchange rate. (and you get that ultra tunable s3 engine as a bonus!)

let us know what you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

NiSmO wrote: »
    This is not a normal gti engine its the one from the Audi S3 and the Seat Leon Cupre R. Its just de-tuned not to effect the sales of the audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Apparently so. I was talking to a lad on youtube and he does it. He said expect up to 310bhp:eek:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Here a good article where they compare a stock GTI, Chipped GTI and an R32.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0712_2007_volkswagen_mkv_gti_2008_r32_comparison/Performance_Figures.html

But if the tax and insurance is not an issue, it has to be the R32 FTW even if it is not the quickest, its just a bit more special and there is always going to be someone quicker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah, and 300bhp in a gti would only be of any use going straight forward on a bone dry road

300bhp in the r32 would be a different proposition :D

anyway its silly money to spend on a golf whichever one you go for, but thats a different discussion ;)

The R32 V GTI debate always descends into the GTI is a better car when chipped. But dont forget there are chips on the market (www.upsolute.ie) that will bring the R32 upto 270 BHP, even that car would blow away a normal chipped GTI. Also the fact that every baseball cap wearing wannabe with a few quid has a Mark V GTI would put me off getting one. They are as common as muck on Irish roads, and I actually feel sorry for the true VW GTI enthusiasts that have them because the aforementioned baseball cap wearers have ruined the overall image of the MarkV GTI.

The R32 V GTI debate always descends into the GTI is a better car when chipped. But dont forget there are chips on the market (www.upsolute.ie) that will bring the R32 upto 270 BHP, even that car would blow away a normal chipped GTI. Also the fact that every baseball cap wearing wannabe with a few quid has a Mark V GTI would put me off getting one. They are as common as muck on Irish roads, and I actually feel sorry for the true VW GTI enthusiasts that have them because the aforementioned baseball cap wearers have ruined the overall image of the MarkV GTI.

I dont agree with you.Did you not have a gti.And an r32 isnt expensive i got offered a trade r32 07 irish reg for less than 20k (now thats cheaper than your r32 that you bought for over 45k new :D Guys dont bother asking from where but it was legit from a dealer (i aint telling you who) :)

I dont agree with you.Did you not have a gti.And an r32 isnt expensive i got offered a trade r32 07 irish reg for less than 20k (now thats cheaper than your r32 that you bought for over 45k new :D Guys dont bother asking from where but it was legit from a dealer (i aint telling you who) :)

Obviously an insurance write off or stolen from England. Sure most 07 R32s are fetching at least 40k. Never had a GTI myself. You'd be mad to buy that car at that price, as the old saying goes "if its too good to be true then it is too good to be true".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Legit, at 20k below the standard asking price for the car.... That'd sound about right wouldn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It might "blow away" an R32 on a straight dry road once the GTI driver had feathered the trottle in 1st and second to get it rolling! my mate has a remapped GTI(250bhp) and on an even slightly damp(or loose surface) surface my bora with less BHP leaves him for dead.

I would take the R32 everytime,V6 and 4motion wins the day.instant grip and instant torque(no turbo lag)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Isn't 220 bhp about the height of what can be achieved with front wheel drive anyway(there's going to be some fun with the Mk3 Focus RS then since all of it's 280 bhp will be deployed to the front wheels)? Meaning that an R32 can be the only logical choice for anyone wanting a Golf Mk V that's faster than the GTI?

• Advertisement

At the risk of been accused of anti vw'ism again , the megane R26 has all of its power going through its front wheels and its widely ackowledged as been the best hot hatch money can buy by most of the car mags. Autocar rated it above the golfs,the "sporty" audi A3 and even the focus ST.

Advertisement