Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to ban GTA IV

• 03-05-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

:eek:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24405072/

Bloody Americans:rolleyes:

Ok they have a point bout the drink driving,but it's only a game....and why are they even tryin to suggest Rockstar shouldn't distribute it,like they'd be stupid to do that cause of a few moaning women,lol,I think it's gas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

theyve tried before and theyll try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They should ban it, i have it so dont care :p

The drunk driving thing is absurd, in the game there is punishment for doing it, i dont think i have ran over anyone drunk but if i on the road and see someone in the middle of i do veer towards them and sing "i see you Arlo Pear!!!" then run them down.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jiz-fiz

why do they even bother trying . i mean its been bought by nearly everyone who has an xbox or ps3 anyway what are they gonna do knock on everyones houses and take it back. yeah good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

this happens every time a game is released. some organisation tries to get free publicity by shouting loudly about how despicable GTA is and it should be banned yada yada ya.. much ado about nothing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sure its 18s in america anyway, which makes it an adult only game anyway

what exactly are they trying to reclassify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know it's completely ridiculous,makes you wonder do these groups ever think bout what there trying to implement!

Helix wrote: »

I think Mature in America is 18 while Adult is 21!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't see anywhere in that article where they're suggesting an outright ban on it. It's a reasonable idea to have it Adults Only given the content of the game overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It always amazes me the what gets attention and what doesnt when it comes to banning games ,

GTA is now getting attention for drink driving , Bioshock on the other hand , a game where one of the main aims was to hunt down and kill little girls , got none ! Baffling ,

I dont think anything should be banned by the way , Im just wondering about the whole thing and why some titles get looked at and some surprisingly dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,098 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MA in America is 17+, not 18+. Most main high street stores such as Wal Mart won't sell AO games. It's why they did it to Manhunt 2.

AO = commercial death.

• Advertisement

Lol,sorry got a bit carried away there rb I was laughing at it so much!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Rating_Board

The ratings are there! It's rated m,which is under 17,and they want it as A,which is 18+

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's rated m,which is under 17,and they want it as A,which is 18+

i dont think any reasonable person could argue with that request tho

Well the fact a lot of the major chains don't seem to sell it to people under 17,not going to make much of a diff putting it to 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i dont think any reasonable person could argue with that request tho

on the face of it it's fine but the fact is that once it goes AO you loose a huge amount of the retail space as most stores simply won't sell AO rated games. this is why the manhunt debacle was so important for r*/t2

on the face of it it's fine but the fact is that once it goes AO you loose a huge amount of the retail space as most stores simply won't sell AO rated games. this is why the manhunt debacle was so important for r*/t2
    Would hit their sales alright!

Still annoys me the way these groups go on though,cause at the end of the day if someone does re-creat what happens in the game rockstar/take two didn't make them do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Thing that gets me is, "if" they b& the game, its all well and good saying you already have it, but what if Sony or MS put out a firmware upgrade to disable the game? Now thats scareh.

i would be fairly sure that places would still stock gta4

its not exactly a meh franchise like manhunt, its one of the biggest franchises in the games world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

I drank and drove in this game and crashed into a lot of ****, killed a couple of people and got chased by the police... If anything its thought me not to do it?

Thing that gets me is, "if" they b& the game, its all well and good saying you already have it, but what if Sony or MS put out a firmware upgrade to disable the game? Now thats scareh.
    Jesus,really can't imagine that happening!

that would be illegal unless they refunded you your money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This bunch of morons are a little late to the party no? I mean the title's shifted X million copies in the last few days....what has their rant and call for re-classification done other than make them look like reactionary pricks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Wertz wrote: »
    This bunch of morons are a little late to the party no? I mean the title's shifted X million copies in the last few days....what has their rant and call for re-classification done other than make them look like reactionary pricks?

gotten them free publicity. that's all groups like this want when they go off on one about GTA..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

God I really can't believe how stupid people can be. The usual take a line from the game and it gets taken totally out of context by non gamers.

The game lets you drive cars, and has an effect that makes things blurry and controls funny when you drink.

This kinda stuff as been around for years.

I remember it in Deus Ex. I also remember in that game if you wanted you could attack NPCs =

BAN THE GAME DEUS EX because it lets you get drunk and beat up women on the street!

Feckin eejits, thats all I have to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Julez wrote: »
    I drank and drove in this game and crashed into a lot of ****, killed a couple of people and got chased by the police... If anything its thought me not to do it?

i was going to say this myself, it also shows you dying when you hit somthing and go out through the windscreen so it more a less turns me off drink driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

More than that, none of the consoles (Xbox360, PS3, Wii) will play AO rated games. The manufacturers won't license any AO games as a matter of stated policy. It's not that it wouldn't be sold, it couldn't be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Gazza376

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    God I really can't believe how stupid people can be. The usual take a line from the game and it gets taken totally out of context by non gamers.

The game lets you drive cars, and has an effect that makes things blurry and controls funny when you drink.

This kinda stuff as been around for years.

I remember it in Deus Ex. I also remember in that game if you wanted you could attack NPCs =

BAN THE GAME DEUS EX because it lets you get drunk and beat up women on the street!

Feckin eejits, thats all I have to say...

Thats a very good point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

the american ratings system is a joke. like whats the difference between 17 and 18? its not like when you turn 18 you suddenly turn into a responsible adult and learn the difference between seeing people killed in a videogame/film and killing someone in real life whereas at 17 your some impressionable child that will be tainted at the sight of blood or sex

Master of the Universe

grimm2005 wrote: »
    the american ratings system is a joke. like whats the difference between 17 and 18? its not like when you turn 18 you suddenly turn into a responsible adult and learn the difference between seeing people killed in a videogame/film and killing someone in real life whereas at 17 your some impressionable child that will be tainted at the sight of blood or sex

You could say the same about any age rating system really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

yeah but theres generally 3 years between ratings over here (12, 15, 18, until they launched that 16 ratings which is similarily stupid imo and it only seems to apply to cinema releases and not dvd which makes even less sense) and 3 years is a considerably larger age gap than 1 year

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

grimm2005 wrote: »
    yeah but theres generally 3 years between ratings over here (12, 15, 18, until they launched that 16 ratings which is similarily stupid imo and it only seems to apply to cinema releases and not dvd which makes even less sense) and 3 years is a considerably larger age gap than 1 year

Apologies, totally misunderstood what you were saying in the post I originally quoted.

I do agree that their rating system is peculiar. NC-17 means no children under 17. Which is the highest rating in the cinema and was previously certified as X.

'An NC-17 rating can be based on violence, sex, aberrational behavior, drug abuse or any other element that most parents would consider too strong and therefore off-limits for viewing by their children.'

But then AO games are rated 18+? I don't get it. Everything in GTA is covered by NC -17. Or 'Mature' when it comes to games ratings.

Advertisement