Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superimposing for HDR type effect in photoshop elements

• 03-05-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I dont have an ND grad filter so a recent lanscape I took has sky and foreground out of sync.

My plan is to convert from raw to produce 2 copies, one with foreground exposed correctly and one with sky exposed correctly. I can do this reasonably well with my raw converter bibble which I know gives me a stop or so of exposure lee way.

My question then is, and I know this may not be possible from searching for HDR on web, but can I superimpose these in some way with photoshop elements to get a single image the way I want?

I know I could simply use a single image in PSE and adjustment layers to adjust foreground and sky but I know the highlight recovery and shadows will be so much better in the Raw editor.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

PoleStar wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I dont have an ND grad filter so a recent lanscape I took has sky and foreground out of sync.

My plan is to convert from raw to produce 2 copies, one with foreground exposed correctly and one with sky exposed correctly. I can do this reasonably well with my raw converter bibble which I know gives me a stop or so of exposure lee way.

My question then is, and I know this may not be possible from searching for HDR on web, but can I superimpose these in some way with photoshop elements to get a single image the way I want?

I know I could simply use a single image in PSE and adjustment layers to adjust foreground and sky but I know the highlight recovery and shadows will be so much better in the Raw editor.

Thanks!
    Sounds reasonable that you'd get some fine results by that technique versus applying a filter to a single exposure, but then you'd imagine if it were that easy a HDR effect filter would start out by creating two exposures from one image and tone-mapping.

Ultimately I suppose you can't create information that isn't there, there's no substitute for two or three original exposures which between them have far more information. I've just this week started exposure bracketing and tone mapping, I've a bit to learn but already I'm stunned by the results, it seems to exceed even the human eye. It more than makes up for the loss of latitude compared to film, that said, film hdr shots would no doubt be even better.

The software I'm using for tone mapping is qtpfsgui a free download for linux, Mac, and Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

PoleStar wrote: »

The various exposures (you might find 3 or more is better and easier than just 2 exposure levels) are all the same size and exactly aligned, so just start with one as a base layer and then open each of the others, copy, go back to the first and paste-as-new-layer.

This tutorial shows one method: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/high-dynamic-range.htm, or a discussion a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

You would be doing manually what CS2 automates.

Advertisement