Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good or Bad?

• 03-05-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Lets get the ball rolling. the game has been out a couple of days . what does everyone think of the new changes in the game and the characters seen so far

(please no spoilers)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good.

I don't understand(unless they had to because they weren't used to the next gen consoles) why they made the map smaller than SA.

As big as possible every game should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Despite small issues its still the best game ive ever played 10/10.

Its the small things that make up for this like watching tv, whistling for cabs, getting drunk and shoting pool.

Granted its smaller than SA but the sheer detail is unreal.

Excellent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jiz-fiz

SA was so big because they filled it with same textured country side whereas this city has alot more in it and is relatively close (supposedly) to the exact size of new york also there is alot more going on inside buildings in this game. but your right aswell bigger would have been better. i miss the airplane aswell i taught that was a great addition to san an. i suppose cuz of 9/11 they didnt put that in seeing as it is based on new york

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Jiz-fiz wrote: »
    SA was so big because they filled it with same textured country side whereas this city has alot more in it and is relatively close (supposedly) to the exact size of new york also there is alot more going on inside buildings in this game. but your right aswell bigger would have been better. i miss the airplane aswell i taught that was a great addition to san an. i suppose cuz of 9/11 they didnt put that in seeing as it is based on new york

I honestly found nothing wrong with truckin' through the countryside. I also see nothing wrong with just a vast open desert with area 51, big foots, leatherfaces and everything else just being there in the game.

Anyway yeah its far more detailed....and this was their first go on the new consoles.

The airplane is a massive loss for me, it really prolonged the fun of SA for me.

oh and why i think this game is so great is the missions...wow they are so good.

sorry just back to the ol' countryside,I found it really helped make the game last longer. I don't know why but I like the 'great outdoors'

dont get me wrong country side was great its just alot easier to do than a detailed city which is why san andreas was alot bigger because there is not as much shadow and texture to do. getting on the sanchez and flying around the countryside was great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Good....wait no great....act hold on excellent!!!:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For me, it's like GTAIII on the PS2 all over again....I'm even getting deja vu moments on certain parts of the map (which is probably intentional on R*'s part).
    Just getting to the point where I know my way around the first island, stuff starting to look familiar, getting my sense of direction.
    Driving and shooting improved, environment and detail is top notch, voice acting and cut scenes very well scripted and acted. Oh and you can still swim...that's always a plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i like the game, its a nice 7/10-er, nothing more

the 10/10 reviews are ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can people stop bitching about the size of the city, or the lack of country side.

there's no country side because well then it wouldn't be a city then would it. if you've ever been to new york it take ages to drive to where there is countryside.

the city in GTA IV feels huge to me, and i've only been on two islands, some people are just never happy.

one slight niggle i have is the default camera angle for driving, i find i have to constantly hold down on the right analogue stick to actually see whats in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

am about 50% the way through the game, been playing solidly since i got it, and if a 10/10 review by a player is to anyone else ridiculous, i'm sorry to say this, but i'm giving it 10/10.

it is the single most detailed GTA game, and even pounds the crap out of some other genre's recent releases too.
    Excellent characters, excellent voice acting, excellent gameplay, and i've tried my best to put it down on multiple occasions only to be pulled back in to go drinking with roman or whoever.

a game that can pull you back in like that is either very dangerous or very very good. its highly addictive and i've yet to test out the muliplayer side of it. but even MP aside, it still scores a 10 from me for the main fact that i bought it as a single player game and had no intentions of using MP for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote: »
    can people stop bitching about the size of the city, or the lack of country side.

there's no country side because well then it wouldn't be a city then would it. if you've ever been to new york it take ages to drive to where there is countryside.

the city in GTA IV feels huge to me, and i've only been on two islands, some people are just never happy.

one slight niggle i have is the default camera angle for driving, i find i have to constantly hold down on the right analogue stick to actually see whats in front of me.

ok nobody was bitching we were basically just saying the country side made the game look bigger thats all and it was a good feature . i personally think both games were top notch country side or no country side city or no city its the gameplay thats makes it great.

the camera centres on niko when in the car for realism because when you actually drive a car you dont sit in the centre unless your into sittin on a gear stick which i doubt most of us are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm not talking about it centering on niko i actually like that feature, i don't like the angle that it's at, it's almost in line with the boot of the car therefore making it impossible to see what's in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I find the highest camera view sorts that problem out Cremo. Have to say I'm well used to the driving now and am finding it to be one of the best parts of the game. It adds an extra level of realism and tension especially when you are being chased..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've never seen anything like that amount of detail on such a large scale... and the loading times are nothing... little details and cool features everywhere.
    Like when someone shot the roof-lights on the cop car I was driving and the siren went all crazy. Peoples hats falling off when you knock them over.

I've found the missions a bit samey, except for that one with Patrick (if you've played it, you know what I'm talking about ;)).
    There aren't enough enter-able buildings for my liking... but I like what they've done with the outdoor/indoor transitions (or lack there of).
    The choice of clothing is crap compared to San Andreas, and it's all ugly to boot.
    I found the radio stations & TV disappointing, too preachy and formulaic to be funny.
    I like what they've done with the police missions.

I find the constant nagging phonecalls from my new virtual friends pretty annoying... they're all so needy... "Ooh, come pick me up, and we'll do something you're bored of... oh and by the way, you have an hour to get here, no matter where in the city you are".
    Too many relationships to manage tbh, these people need some other friends.
    And why don't they ever pick me up, and I'll sit there in the passenger seat insulting their clothes.

Having spewed all that shíte ^, I have to say I can't put it down... I'm hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Wasn't sure at all when I first started. It was so hyped (which I'm very prone to falling for) that it felt like a let down. Hated the driving etc.

But now I love it. Driving rocks I think now, love speding over the bridges, everything blurred, nipping in and out between cars. Love the euphoria engine, the way people seem to actually have weight when you hit them in a car.

Like above the missions seem pretty samey but I still love them, and I think I'm actually on "that" Packie one, it's freakin tough but just awesome.

Love it, oh and the Piswasser ad on TV is classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The driving at firts really really put me off, have gotten used to it now, wouldnt mind a better camera angle too, the current one is too low.

Also the cornering could be a little less harsh.

Overall, definately from what Ove played (mostly online the last few days) it is deserving of a 10/10.

Its not perfect, but it does so much right that it outweighs the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Press back on 360 to change cam views when driving, altohugh I use the right stick myself just to lift the cam a bit.

Advertisement