Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland / iol Email server down

Options
  • 03-05-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Heads up incase anyone is waiting on an important email using iol/BT

I've been on the phone to BT, The iol mail server is down, emails can be sent but not recieved.. :( The tech guy I spoke to does not know when the issue will be resolved !!

No emails since 21:00 Hrs last night!! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Damnit, I've 2 important IOL addy's. Hope it's fixed soon

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

you think they would have the wit to post some info on their homepage... muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Yes some info on the website would have been nice. Im just in (3am) and I had actually received 3 emails a few minutes ago. I sent one to myself and it also came. But the ones that were sent earlier during Saturday havent arrived. I wonder are they gone forever......???

thanks

h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

hawthorn wrote: »
    Yes some info on the website would have been nice. Im just in (3am) and I had actually received 3 emails a few minutes ago. I sent one to myself and it also came. But the ones that were sent earlier during Saturday havent arrived. I wonder are they gone forever......???

Well, there's a simple reason for that:

When the mailserver goes down, it doesn't accept any mails anymore.
    The originating servers then back off for x amount time.
    As that time is set individually, it might vary.

Result: It can take a few hours before the originating servers retry to deliver.

Note to BT: Why didn't ye guys have a backup MX ?? (used to store mails in the interim, if the primary fails)

/Martin

Advertisement