Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Regional Geography

Options
  • 03-05-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I was just flicking through the geography papers there(Regional question) and a question that frequently comes up is "examine the development of" primary/secondary/tertiary activities.
    I know about primary, secondary, tertiary, but how do you examine the development of them?
    Honestly, I would find it hard to pick 12 SRP's for this.
    Anyone have any help on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

It's pretty straightforward.

Border Midland Western Region: Was crappy, goverment funding, not crappy!

Mezzagiorno: Was crappy, Cassa per il Mezzagiorno, not crappy!

and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Thanks a mill, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Our teacher keeps telling us its 15srp's... were did you get the 12 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I'm studying the American South West for my Sub Continental. Just wondering when it comes to a question on the developement of Cultural Differences do I talk about the Hispanics and the like coming to live in the South West. And also when it says examine two factors for development of cultural groups what do you talk about? I would be inclined to talk about the pull factors of the region, is this ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

1huge1 wrote: »
    Our teacher keeps telling us its 15srp's... were did you get the 12 from?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

When doing the exam papers for geography what way is the fastest and the best for studying the exam papers. My teacher has not started the exam papers yet and really there are only 5 or 4 weeks left..... Any tips on what is the best way to study and fast??? I done the short questions that all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I think he means 12 SRPs for the solid information. You get around 3 SRPs just for naming the region, naming the development and naming the activity at the start of your answer

deise59 wrote: »
    I think he means 12 SRPs for the solid information. You get around 3 SRPs just for naming the region, naming the development and naming the activity at the start of your answer
    I was unaware of that, our teacher never marked it like that, that would be a great advantage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teachers mark in all sorts of ways, especially if they have no experience marking for the SEC. The official marking schemes are available from the SEC site.
    http://www.examinations.ie under Examination Material Archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Well I've been getting Geo. grinds (yeah I know...) for a few months now and my teacher corrects the exams every year and she does the exact same method all the time. 3 SRPs before you even start answering the question :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

whenever you see a question on the leaving cert paper in geography, which is for 30 marks(which is a and b in every essay question), you need 12 statements, e.g Q. examine any ONE of the following economic processes in a european region NOT IRELAND of your choice.

Industry.
    Tourism.

1 statement would be. (say you pick tourism), millions of tourists visit paris every year as it is a beutiful city with wide spacious boulevards of which the french are justly proud. Hope this helps you pjjk90 aka paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

In 6th year, I've really come to disliking Geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Mezzagiorno: Was crappy, Cassa per il Mezzagiorno, still crappy!

Fixed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marus aureilous

i think the marking scheme changed between 06 and 07 with srps in 06 it was 12srps and 6 overall marks but those six marks went last yr. plus ny 1 doin india as sub continental??? hw do u find it? primary nd secondary r easy on all place but cant find much on tertiary n west of irelland sadly

4 studin i look at a section for a while and pick a section rm the papers and give myself 12 minutes coz thats how long u get in the exam i tink?

i think the marking scheme changed between 06 and 07 with srps in 06 it was 12srps and 6 overall marks but those six marks went last yr. plus ny 1 doin india as sub continental??? hw do u find it? primary nd secondary r easy on all place but cant find much on tertiary n west of irelland sadly

4 studin i look at a section for a while and pick a section rm the papers and give myself 12 minutes coz thats how long u get in the exam i tink?
    First of all stay away from text speak on boards... It wont go down well

As for tertiary on the west of Ireland, I generally talked about galway city and the likes, and the western development commission (wdc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Is it not 15 SRPS based on each SRP being 2 marks for a 30 marker?

So is an SRP a sentence then or fact? orr must you elaborate on the fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

An SRP is a point of factual information. For a 30 mark question, you get 4 marks for naming what you'll be talking about, which leaves 26 marks left, meaning you need 13 SRP's, but always have about 15, just to be safe.

Advertisement