Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Reg Car

Options
  • 03-05-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Not sure if this is the right section so i apologize if not. But i'm buyin a car up north this week, Haven't got the cash to pay the VRT straight away and was wondering theres still 6 months tax on her and the MOT is good. Would i get away with drivin this around till i get the cash to change over and if my insurance company will give us a few months insurance on it.... Any info would be great cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Eh, No.

We'd all do that if we could get away with it, it has to be registered within a few days of getting here. They'll impound it if they find it (if mind you)

BTW you should have posted this in the main motors section not learning to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moved to Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sorry for hijack. I'm thinking of breaking the speed limit at various times over the next few months. what are my chances of being caught? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You can try getting away with a norther reg car as long as you want - insurance company might not want to know you and if the customs do stop you, you'll have to fork out an additional fee on top of the vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

land9 wrote: »
    You can try getting away with a norther reg car as long as you want - insurance company might not want to know you and if the customs do stop you, you'll have to fork out an additional fee on top of the vrt.

You know what this additional fee is? I heard 10% of book value mentioned by one person, but havent heard anyone else on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nuttzz wrote: »
    it has to be registered within a few days of getting here
    Within 24 hours. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

HJL wrote: »
    You know what this additional fee is? I heard 10% of book value mentioned by one person, but havent heard anyone else on about it.

I couldn't tell you - I think they charge you by the day while it's in their possesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

esel wrote: »
    Sorry for hijack. I'm thinking of breaking the speed limit at various times over the next few months. what are my chances of being caught? :confused:

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

You could hide it in your garage until you have the money saved up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So the answer is ...no you can't ...not legally.

thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement