Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing the language in windows xp professional

• 03-05-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a cheap laptop in China. Everything is fine with it, apart from one tiny problem!! All the options seem to be in Chinese, and I have absolutely no idea to change it to english. Is this possible? Its running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Start, click Run, type intl.cpl, hit Enter.

The middle tab is languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Thanks for the quick response, but this doesnt seem to work either its bringing up a huge list which seems to change what looks like ip address, time, date, ect. English isnt listed, its still all in Chinese writing...

any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Also when im typing the letters are in english.....

Thanks for the quick response, but this doesnt seem to work either its bringing up a huge list which seems to change what looks like ip address, time, date, ect. English isnt listed, its still all in Chinese writing...

any ideas??
    You are looking at the first tab with time/date/currency. Try the middle one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

your license only covers the original language :mad:
    so you are looking at buying a new copy of XP (and you aren't allowed to buy OEM as you pc already has windows) or upgrading to vista to avail of it's language options

with versions of windows prior to Vista you can't change language unless you buy the MUI option, and you can only buy the option as part of a corporate license so you would need to purchase 5 licenses.
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx

With Vista you can get a single license - so upgrading to that might be an option. MUIs require a license to be used and are only available with Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

and you aren't allowed to buy OEM as you pc already has windows)

i know it's not relevant to the thread but was intending to buy VISTA Ultimate 64bit OEM as i just built a new PC. I've installed XP Pro from a disk i bought years ago but wanted to upgrade the OS,

What are the legal implications to this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when i worked in a chinese i had to use this lad's laptop (well i dint have to but it was fun) but everything was cantonese :p unfortunately I dont think there is English loaded into the Asian/chinese editions else he would have changed it for me when I was using it. Guy knew his **** too.

your license only covers the original language :mad:
    Didn't realise that. That sucks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ru wrote: »
    i know it's not relevant to the thread?
    If you bought a PC and OEM then once the OEM is installed on the PC it can't be used elsewhere.
    So the VISTA would be bound to the motherboard of the new PC.
    If the XP was retail you could take it off and put it on another PCas many times as you like as long as it's only on one at a time.

If you upgrade an OEM copy of windows then the upgrade becomes OEM too and cant be moved to another machine. This is one of the suckiest bit of windows licenses :mad:

Advertisement