Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films in Italian?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good italian film to help with learning the language.

I was thinking maybe even watching a regular hollywood film with italian audio and english subtitles - anyone done this? Is it useful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

It might sound a bit silly...but..when I was starting to learn Italian, I found that watching Disney films (yes, I know) helped a lot, as I knew them pretty well in English (from watching them as a kid..obviously..eh hem :) ) so I could make the connections pretty easily, plus it was fun :D Start off with the Lion King (I may be slightly biased here, as it is one of my favourite Disney films) , although, it may be a bit hard to find here (I got my copy in Italy).

Otherwise, La Dolce Vita, which I don't think is too bad language level wise, and then there's Johnny Stecchino, which is pretty funny, but maybe they'd be better for an intermediate level.

Try the Disney films, or kids films for starters as the language shouldn't be as fast or as complicated as "grown up films", plus you'll get a handle on the grammar and sentence structure, and then maybe see what your local video shop has.

In bocca al lupo.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

yup you can't beat La Dolce Vita really...
    The Disney films would also be good as the accents should be fairly clear/neutral. When I lived in Italy I used to watch American sitcoms, like Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls etc dubbed into Italian for practice.
    A more recent film I really liked was Il mio fratello e' figlio unico (My Brother is an only Child) set in 60s and 70s Italy. The accents in it were sometimes quite strong though, so I found some characters more understandable than others!

Advertisement