Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third party controls

Options
  • 03-05-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I have recently started using ASP.NET and I ran into a problem where I was using the drop-down combo box that is in the toolbox but it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do (specifically I couldn't adjust it's height).
    I solved the problem by downloading a third part combo box control from a company called Telerik which was much better than the ASP combo box.
    I could adjust the height and do lots of other stuff with it.
    It got me thinking how difficult is it to create a third party control and has anyone here had a go at it?
    I'd imagine there would be a lot of money in it if you could create and license a really good one that someone else hadn't thought of.
    You would have to be a very experienced programmer to even attempt creating one though I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You can make them fairly easily.

You can do a couple of things... such as using the base control and extending it to meet your needs, or starting from scratch and using one of the .NET base classes and building it from there..

Depends on whether you want a Toolbox enabled control or not.

Most people go down the route of extending the normal controls and building them into user controls. A common example is a validated text box. Rather than writing the logic each time, you build it into a user control and add it to the pages you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I've noticed a few of the ASP controls aren't that great, I can think of a few ways they could be improved but of course actually doing it is entirely another thing.

What version of the Framework are you working with?

Ginger wrote: »
    What version of the Framework are you working with?

Well you can always extend them yourself and increase the functionality of them as required

• Advertisement

Well you can always extend them yourself and increase the functionality of them as required

Yeah but there's no money in that.:)

Ahh its too make money rather than just make your life easier.. Well start with the base controls and work from there.

You can download the source for most of the controls anyways.

It's a long shot really, it depends what language they are written in. I don't know enough about C# really, I know VB.NET a bit better though.

The code is all in C# as far as I know..

The code is all in C# as far as I know..

Although seeing as any control is only a dll, it could be done in any language theoretically.

• Advertisement

Actually I was referring to the .NET Framework Library source code which you can download under the MS-Read only licence
    See here

It allows you to see the control structure..

You can also do as you said and extend the base controls ..

Advertisement