Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shadow people'- anyone ever seen one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭johnsix

No Science tends to ignore many things as they cant explain it. They mearly push it aside. Not all scientists push it aside though. Other scientists who try bring info forward, cant because of fear of ridicule and also being shunned by the scientific community.

No , if you were a true skeptic you would go find this out for yourself.

Are'nt skeptics feet supposed to be on both sides of the fence ?

So I'm not allowed ask for examples at all?
    If you know some surely its not that hard to type them out or provide links?

Skeptics are on the fence but when one side has no evidence and continues to fail to produce evidence we can hardly be blamed for slightly leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

johnsix wrote: »
    Well first off most police agencies don't use psychics at all. They never add anything of value to investigations.
    Wrong Wrong Wrong! There's a woman in Ireland who's doing it for years, and won't go public on it, despite several attempts by Pat Kenny show to have her on the air about it. And it doesn't matter whether you're psychic or not, if you give info to an investigation its logged, and if you're only explanation for the info is that it came from a "shadow person" or you dreamt it or you are psychic, then thats put down as the explanation. Whether its used in a investigation is up to the police / gardai to decide how relevant it is. And if its accurate information - then it becomes very relevant!!

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    Wrong Wrong Wrong! There's a woman in Ireland who's doing it for years, and won't go public on it, despite several attempts by Pat Kenny show to have her on the air about it. And it doesn't matter whether you're psychic or not, if you give info to an investigation its logged, and if you're only explanation for the info is that it came from a "shadow person" or you dreamt it or you are psychic, then thats put down as the explanation. Whether its used in a investigation is up to the police / gardai to decide how relevant it is. And if its accurate information - then it becomes very relevant!!
    And psychics never add accurate or useful information.
    Similarly there is not a court in the civilized world that would admit "psychic evidence".

And psychics never add accurate or useful information.

You're just rambling away with stuff off the top of your head - again not true! Go and talk to a few detectives investigating cases in Ireland!!

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    You're just rambling away with stuff off the top of your head - again not true! Go and talk to a few detectives investigating cases in Ireland!!
    Cause detectives have so much time to talk about random cases...
    Maybe you could narrow it down and refer me to some causes in which a psychic provided significant evidence?

• Advertisement

Cause detectives have so much time to talk about random cases...

You'd be amazed!, if you know any, talk to them in an informal setting. I'm certainly not giving names to a stranger on a public forum!!!!!Now go back to the reason there is a form talking about shadow people.

So I'm not allowed ask for examples at all?
    If you know some surely its not that hard to type them out or provide links?

Skeptics are on the fence but when one side has no evidence and continues to fail to produce evidence we can hardly be blamed for slightly leaning.

You can ask for examples . I just couldnt be bothered giving them to you.

When it comes to slightly leaning ,come on its a bit more then that.

With regards to Shadow people this is a new thing that people are talking about. I have heard storys of shadow's and then i have heard storys of people having relationships with them.

Some people say they are ET . But in my honest opinion i think they were born out of people photographing Shadow people . Sometimes it was there own shadow. Sometimes its just a shape that happens to look like a person.
    Other times it seems to be something moving independant of everything else.
    Who am i to say otherwise.

i have heard storys of people having relationships with them.

Whaaaat????

You can ask for examples . I just couldnt be bothered giving them to you.

And why not exactly?
    Are they not convincing enough?
    Do you actually have any?
    When it comes to slightly leaning ,come on its a bit more then that.
    Well there is a very large lack of evidence on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

You seem to be under the impression that sceptics are neutral, they're not. They give both sides a fair hearing and then make up their mind. As of yet I have seen absolutely no evidence capable of supporting any paranormal claims. Until that is presented I consider the paranormal to be unproven superstition.

What has science just brushed under the rug? You can't expect us to take you seriously if you throw out hasty generlisations and then aren't bothered to back them up.

Dre do you consider yourself a Sceptic?

• Advertisement

And why not exactly?
    Are they not convincing enough?
    Do you actually have any?

Well there is a very large lack of evidence on one side.

Just because there is a large lack of evidence doesnt mean its not true.

If i commit a crime and dont leave any evidence doesnt mean i didnt do it.

People might have seen me do it . So what do the police do ? They investigate .

what would you do , just shoot it down ?

What kind of evidence are you looking for if say you were looking for proof of aliens ?

A Body ?
    Would be nice.
    But I'd have to be sure that it's not a shaved monkey or something first.

Also a functioning alien spacecraft would be fairly hard to dispute.

Yes they investigate and if they find no evidence the assumption is you're not guilty. No one has ever been convicted just on witnesses, there has to be more proof than that.

Just because there is a large lack of evidence doesnt mean its not true.

If i commit a crime and dont leave any evidence doesnt mean i didnt do it.

People might have seen me do it . So what do the police do ? They investigate .

what would you do , just shoot it down ?
    Actually I debate whether a crime was committed at all.
    Assuming that the only evidence was witness reports not video, and the was no body or missing persons report, nor forensic evidence (blood and the like).
    How do the witnesses know a murder had actually been committed? Is it possible they could be mistaken?
    Perhaps it was a practical joke or performance art piece or maybe a scene being filmed or maybe even a psychological experiment to see what people would do if the witnessed a murder.
    It's possible that there was a murder but there is no evidence to show that there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Why when he says "commit a crime" do people presume its a murder? You guys are your crazy jumping to conclussions! :rolleyes:

Was just using murder as an example. It works for any crime to be honest, if there is no theft reported or such.
    Besides Dre has that look in his eye.

Well first off most police agencies don't use psychics at all. They never add anything of value to investigations. Why do you think there are no Psychic Investigation Squads?

I missed this . But most police agencies actually do. Including the Garda . Scotland yard , FBI ect....

Especially for missing children and accult activity.

Getting back on the Shadow people thing . To me shadow people were up there with the white woman , the little boy type hauntings.

Added in was people taking a picture of their own shadow and now its become quite popular.
    To be honest i dont think they diserve their own title just yet. I would still like to call them an apparition.

I missed this . But most police agencies actually do. Including the Garda . Scotland yard , FBI ect....

Especially for missing children and accult activity.
    Would you like to back this up at all?
    Cause I have some evidence to the contrary.

http://www.ukskeptics.com/article.php?dir=articles&article=police_and_psychics.php

I like this response particularly
    METROPOLITAN POLICE

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:16

Thank you for your email - I have passed this to the Freedom of Information Unit but as far as I know we have not and do not use psychics.

EMail Office, New Scotland Yard

http://skepdic.com/psychdet.html

Yes some psychics assist with investigation but usually at the insistence of the loved one of the missing person or by the psychic just turning up at the station. Either way no psychic has ever provided any useful clues to any investigation.

But lets suppose they are useful, why is there no Psychic Investigation Squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Because they would be called PIS.

Think about it

When someone I know was kidnapped their was a psychic bugging the police about this woods up near Skerries and how she was definatly there. He'd used a pendulum to find it. Anyway when she was found, she had been kept in a building in the centre of town the entire time. Not once was she near a woods.

Anecdotal but interesting...

• Advertisement

Would you like to back this up at all?
    Cause I have some evidence to the contrary.

You probably have paperwork to say that it didnt happen . I know somebody who has had first hand experience. I can back it but im not going to.

This is never documented basically for the safety of the psychic also if that psychic was wrong , it could mean somebodys job.
    Another fact to point out is you cant measure how good a psychic is.

You probably have paperwork to say that it didnt happen . I know somebody who has had first hand experience. I can back it but im not going to.

This is never documented basically for the safety of the psychic also if that psychic was wrong , it could mean somebodys job.
    Another fact to point out is you cant measure how good a psychic is.
    You are joking right?
    Why not prove it if you can? I don't understand why you won't.

Second, knowing someone who had first hand experience is second hand experience and both are not what you'd call reliable.

Why does it matter how good a psychic is? Either they give useful information or they don't, a psychic at a murder scene saying "I feel that a violent act happened here recently" and stuff like that is not giving useful evidence.

As for the documentation thing, there are records of psychics giving "evidence" and stuff it just never leads anywhere. And despite what you claim most police agencies do not use psychics.
    But maybe the cops shouldn't document any of the things they do, what if the police are wrong? It could mean somebody's job.

johnsix you seem to think that people are out to convice people like you that the paranormal is real? I'm not out to make anyone think anything and I'm sure alot of the regular in here are the same - I'm happy having the experiences I have had and meeting with people with similar experiences/beliefs. Just my 2c.

6th wrote: »
    johnsix you seem to think that people are out to convice people like you that the paranormal is real? I'm not out to make anyone think anything and I'm sure alot of the regular in here are the same - I'm happy having the experiences I have had and meeting with people with similar experiences/beliefs. Just my 2c.
    But Dre is directly saying he has proof and example of various things. But for some reason won't tell us what they are. I have to admit I'm slightly more interested in why he won't say than his actual examples.

All I want to do is promote critical thinking. Whats so wrong about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

6th wrote: »

Johnsix obviously is out there trying to make people think critically, something quite commendable. Skeptics need to challange superstition, and one of the best places to do it is in paranormal forums.

See how johnsix sent the superstitious running? All he had to do was ask for a single shred of evidence, and his opponents came up with nothing. Some even went as far to say, essentially, "You can't prove it doesn't exist, therefore I don't need to prove it does".

I've never asked for people to prove something doesnt exist, I'm more than happy to have people believe what they want. I am a critical thinker despite what some people might think here, then again those people dont know me and dont know how I came to believe what I believe.

You are joking right?
    Why not prove it if you can? I don't understand why you won't.

Second, knowing someone who had first hand experience is second hand experience and both are not what you'd call reliable.

Why does it matter how good a psychic is? Either they give useful information or they don't, a psychic at a murder scene saying "I feel that a violent act happened here recently" and stuff like that is not giving useful evidence.

As for the documentation thing, there are records of psychics giving "evidence" and stuff it just never leads anywhere. And despite what you claim most police agencies do not use psychics.
    But maybe the cops shouldn't document any of the things they do, what if the police are wrong? It could mean somebody's job.

Obviously you know nothing about it. So i am not going to go any further with this conversation .

This discussion on shadow people is going nowere .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

theozster wrote: »
    Johnsix obviously is out there trying to make people think critically, something quite commendable. Skeptics need to challange superstition, and one of the best places to do it is in paranormal forums.

See how johnsix sent the superstitious running? All he had to do was ask for a single shred of evidence, and his opponents came up with nothing. Some even went as far to say, essentially, "You can't prove it doesn't exist, therefore I don't need to prove it does".

I commend scepticism too. However I dont commend the witch hunt that sometimes happens here. Where 'believers' are harangued for evidence they dont wish to make public, and dismissed as frauds because of that.

Im not running anywhere, although I wouldnt regard myself as superstitious anyway. I do have first hand evidence, but I will never, ever post it here. Ive always said, talk to me personally and I will have no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

caoibhin wrote: »
    A jaysus lads,
    At best an optical illusion.
    At worst a creation of an overactive imagination or tired mind.

Ghosts/Shadow men/fairies/Gods/Devils/Angles/Demons NO NOT EXIST.

Eh...why are you in the PARANORMAL forum? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Obviously you know nothing about it. So i am not going to go any further with this conversation .
    So despite me showing actual responses from police departments saying they do not use psychics and you saying you have proof to the contrary but won't show anyone, I obviously know nothing?
    So please, no disrespect or anything, why don't you show me were I am wrong?

Advertisement