Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Irish Country Music died with the youth of today??

Options
  • 03-05-2008 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Im 18 and Irish Country Music is played in my house every day, hence its my favorite music. . . am I alone??

Comments

Moved from Equestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 RossKavanagh18

whoops sorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No, we're all in your house listening to it with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Nah, sure the Wolfe Tone's played in UCD last week and they were given great cheers.

Realistically I would imagine there are many, many young people who know the words to rebel songs or Irish ballads. It's just not a chart act and is mostly associated with pub music and old fables/stories/history, etc..

Nah, it hasn't died, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish country music like Big Tom and Margo, or traditional Irish music with jigs and reels?

• Advertisement

Ponstar, That attitude wont get you anywhere. Big Tom and Margo yes, but I ment the Younger singers today such as Mike Denver and Dominic Kirwan etc. I like Trad aswell and I know that hasn't died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Big Tom and Margo yes, but I ment the Younger singers today such as Mike Denver and Dominic Kirwan etc. I like Trad aswell and I know that hasn't died.

Oh well in that case I take back what I said. Yes it is dead. Sorry. :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well if you're 18 and like Big Tom and Margo then the answer to your question is yes, you are alone. Never heard of the other guys but that sort of music is a feckin' abomination and an offence to all right minded music lovers. Sorry to be so harsh, but you'll thank me for it later. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't actually think I could listen to Irish Country music for more than 30 seconds without my ears bleeding.. I just don't see anything likeable about it. TBH, its really just the same 40 or 50 songs from 40 years ago, being sung by different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ponstar, That attitude wont get you anywhere. Big Tom and Margo yes, but I ment the Younger singers today such as Mike Denver and Dominic Kirwan etc. I like Trad aswell and I know that hasn't died.

It hasn't died. Personally it's not my cup of tea but it's fairly popular (Mike Denver etc) around these parts (Roscommon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Im 18 and Irish Country Music is played in my house every day, hence its my favorite music. . . am I alone??
    Country music - what's that when it's at home? :pac:

But seriously, are there Irish country singers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Hopefully it is dead because it is horrible and I rarely use the term horrible.

I know some people my age around the northern counties that like it,, the further north you go , the more popular it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

i'm a country music fan...in a big way..but irish country music..is godawful...

but i could live happy in nashville or memphis...thats how it should sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

As a youth I feel that it is paramount that we destroy this monster once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Kold wrote: »
    As a youth I feel that it is paramount that we destroy this monster once and for all.

i'll meet you at declan nerneys house at midnight.

Mixedup, you have given me hope lol. Im a country music fan also, i just like the difference of irish country.

Kold and Jizzlord, why are you on this thread if you are not taking it seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kold and Jizzlord, why are you on this thread if you are not taking it seriously??

The question is, is it actually possible to take Irish country music seriously???? Computer says no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hopefully.

• Advertisement

welcome to teh intarw3b. lolololololololololol

I find it hard to believe that someone who has no interest in country music would even bother continuing to post on this thread, Jizzlord, what is your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jeysus Ross, you asked a question in a music forum. If you didnt want an answer you didn't want to hear from Jizzlord you should have asked for replies that only agreed with you or gave you the response you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I find it hard to believe that someone who has no interest in country music would even bother continuing to post on this thread, Jizzlord, what is your problem?

He's getting a rise out of you. Just ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thing about country music is it cross's over in to other generes of music .Think of the many great bands and groups that have at some stage included country into their music such as , Beatles,Rolling stones, Byrds,Eagles ,Doobie bros,crosy stills nash, Beach boys and tons more as well as individual singers/artist like Glen Campbell , Roy Orbison Dr Hook and so on, so if sombody asks me if i like country music , i am also thinking of these groups and artists as well as the Mainstream established C/W groups when i say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Has Irish Country Music died with the youth of today??

Was it ever 'alive' in the first place? :confused:

I do remember Ronan doing a cover of 'If Tomorrow Never Comes' though.....

All country music isnt bad, but in my opinion irish country music is just bad. I dont know anyone young that listens to the irish stuff, and it probably would be considered odd for someone of your age. My parents listen to it, but i never liked it. Sorry if i annoyed you earlier, but stuff in after hours is never taken to seriously and goes off topic very fast.

just having a bad day buddy, dont worry about it. i respect your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes. I have faith in the young people of Ireland. I assume you're talking about the hideous hybrid that is Country & Irish. The stuff bleated out by the Philomena Begleys, Daniel O'Donnells and John Hogans of this world. Though when it's gone, what will local radio stations around the country have to fill their playlists?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I listen to alot of music. I listen to a lot of country music. Irish country and western is the most painful drivel there is. I urge you to go buy a gram parsons record and listen to it. It will change your life.

Advertisement