Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Irish Country Music died with the youth of today??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

my workday would be incomplete unless i was forced to hear northern sounds greatest stuff (straight after the death notices) usually that hideous "come down mary kate from the mountain" then often followed by "theres always a fire in the kitchen".
    my favourite ever though, has to be "mary clare mulvanny rebecca jane" by big tom.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Im 18 and Irish Country Music is played in my house every day, hence its my favorite music. . . am I alone??
    Yes. Very.
    Moved from Equestrian.
    haha.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

latchyco wrote: »
    Thing about country music is it cross's over in to other generes of music .Think of the many great bands and groups that have at some stage included country into their music such as , Beatles,Rolling stones, Byrds,Eagles ,Doobie bros,crosy stills nash, Beach boys and tons more as well as individual singers/artist like Glen Campbell , Roy Orbison Dr Hook and so on, so if sombody asks me if i like country music , i am also thinking of these groups and artists as well as the Mainstream established C/W groups when i say yes.

I completely agree here but this is Country as I know it, hank Williams, Woodie Guthrie, Flying Burrito brothers etc, country music has plenty of high points. However I dont think the beatles and stones were checking out Big Tom, Philomena Begley etc. Lets face it Irish Country is just crap, I can't think of any redeeming features to Irish Country. When someone says Irish Country to me I think of 'One day at a time' being played ad nauseum on RTE radio for what seemed to be 3 decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hmm, I just turned 25 and enjoy country music a lot. I have lots of country 'classic' in my music collection. I don't think the title of the thread is apt, however, because when was country music ever 'alive' with young people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

damonjewel wrote: »
    I completely agree here but this is Country as I know it, hank Williams, Woodie Guthrie, Flying Burrito brothers etc, country music has plenty of high points. However I dont think the beatles and stones were checking out Big Tom, Philomena Begley etc. Lets face it Irish Country is just crap, I can't think of any redeeming features to Irish Country. When someone says Irish Country to me I think of 'One day at a time' being played ad nauseum on RTE radio for what seemed to be 3 decades

Yes indeed and most irish county music groups were just basicly copying what was coming out of Nashville Tennessee .I was never a C/W fan and always liked irish folk music more, but learned to appricate how it could be introduced into other forms of music .Other groups with a country feel to them were Bob Dylans somtime backing group , The Band and Creedence (CCR ) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Nah, sure the Wolfe Tone's played in UCD last week and they were given great cheers.

I would n't have considered the Wolf Tones as Irish country music :confused:

Anyway I'm indifferent as to wheather it's dead or not as I cant stand it. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Rigsby wrote: »
    I would n't have considered the Wolf Tones as Irish country music :confused:
    I agree.
    They are far from country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

lordgoat wrote: »
    They are far from country.

Yeah ! Far worse !! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Why blame the youth? It's not as if there's a real outlet for Irish music in comparison to your typical genres.

Beside, it just mean more people prefer mainstream 'regular' music, which is true. If anything Irish country music has failed to progress.

And that's my two cents! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭1_in_1,000,000

Moved from Equestrian.

Put it back! Please put it baaaaaack :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭1_in_1,000,000

Seroiusly, for the first post, there's plenty of that where I come from so it's not dead. I just think it's mostly people listening to it when they get to there 30s and on, I don't think younger folks are into it. Country and Cavan, we call it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Seroiusly, for the first post, there's plenty of that where I come from so it's not dead. I just think it's mostly people listening to it when they get to there 30s and on, I don't think younger folks are into it. Country and Cavan, we call it :D

Oi, kid,
    Im 30 and i have never and will never listen to that ****e. I think you are mixing up getting older with being a moron from Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think the question is, why won't the elderly of today open their minds to IDM, acid house, post rock and trip hop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Because most of the youth of today won't either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Irish country music is hopefully dying and if it is that's because the music is awfull.
    I like a lot of country music but it is mostly the old/dead singers that i like the new style of country music coming out of america doesn;t interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Mixedup wrote: »
    i'm a country music fan...in a big way..but irish country music..is godawful...

but i could live happy in nashville or memphis...thats how it should sound!

Have to agree with this post!! There is a MASSIVE difference in IRISH country and Western and Country Music. In fact these days a lot of the music out there can be called country music in some little way and if you break down what is being listened to on radio around the world you will hear a certain country influence in a lot of the recording nowadays especially Female songs. Obviously I am not talking house/ dance etc etc but I have been to Nashville several times and will be going again soon. But believe me good country music is a LONG way from dying just yet and thats for sure!!
    It has the highest sales world wide of any musical genre and record companies world wide are now latching on to this and signing bands and singers who have potential to break into this massively lucrative market.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I listen to alot of music. I listen to a lot of country music. Irish country and western is the most painful drivel there is. I urge you to go buy a gram parsons record and listen to it. It will change your life.

Excellent suggestion here !! Thats when it all started sure enough
    Its a line from a song I once wrote actually. it goes: We had Fallen Angels , Gram and Emmylou

You know your stuff
    Well done
    Rusty

Predhead wrote: »
    Why blame the youth? It's not as if there's a real outlet for Irish music in comparison to your typical genres.

Beside, it just mean more people prefer mainstream 'regular' music, which is true. If anything Irish country music has failed to progress.

And that's my two cents! :D
    You are probably right but when it comes to COUNTRY music you would be wrong
    Its a a massive worldwide market with record companies clambering as we speak to sign country songwriters and singers -especially singers. The genre of Country crosses over many divides these days .

Surely you must have heard of the other genre of music ---?
    Country and West of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I have to agree with most of the people on this thread - Irish Country Music as most people know it is pretty dire. American Country music is a whole different kettle of fish and I listen to lots of music that's country or country influenced e.g. crosby stills and nash, Creedence, Dylan, The BAnd, Townes Van Zandt, The Dixie Chicks etc.

But on the topic of Irish Country Music - I know of three Irish bands that are heavily influenced by country music all of which are great!

Martin Staunton Band
    Bray Vista
    Prison Love

Martin Staunton band are well worth checking out - their music is an interesting hybrid of lots of genres

I'm totally plugging them here but their album will be out in the next few months!

www.martinstauntonband.com

• Advertisement

Yea i totally agree and theres a typical example of a great band with a bit of a country influence The Martin Staunton band --Love that single by the way.

Rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

dh2007 wrote: »
    But on the topic of Irish Country Music - I know of three Irish bands that are heavily influenced by country music all of which are great!

Martin Staunton Band
    Bray Vista
    Prison Love

+1 for Bray Vista. Excellent band, who I just happen to be going to see play in the Mermaid in Bray tonight for their album launch! MS band also excellent, nice highlights dh2007...

Head

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Oi, kid,
    Im 30 and i have never and will never listen to that ****e. I think you are mixing up getting older with being a moron from Longford.

Now Now, Thats not nice and i dont think he is from Longford!

Personally I always thought it was called Country and Western because the country bands could only get work in the west of Ireland LOL
    Ya know , places like : Bundoran , Bundoran and
    oh yes -Bundoran!!

The publicans of Ireland as well have a lot to answer for regarding the promotion of this so called country and IRISH. If a decent rock or folk band approached these venues for a gig they were asked have ye an accordion?
    By that they meant do ye do waltzes -all night- and jives-all night as well.
    Narrow mindedness was the order of the day!!
    Thankfully there were a few open minded pub owners who were prepared to give the bands a chance - no matter what the genre of music- and usually they are the places who survived and still do today!! And Fair play to them!!!

As for Country and Irish-It never was Irish in the first place!! It was, and still is, american red neck music, but sang with a fake american accent by Irish paddies-mostly farmers- no disrespect there- wearing cowboy hats and playing the three chord trick on a telecaster.

In my opinion songs like Past the point of Rescue, Galway Girl, Bang on the Ear, are country influenced songs but the difference is that they are NOT country and Irish!! even though there are plenty who will disagree with me on this fair and pleasant island of ours.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rusty999 wrote: »

In my opinion songs like Past the point of Rescue, Galway Girl, Bang on the Ear, are country influenced songs but the difference is that they are NOT country and Irish!! even though there are plenty who will disagree with me on this fair and pleasant island of ours.....

Pop songs with a country twang, the Richie Kavanagh school of country music. I'm unsure of any decent Irish country music, to me it seems like they're desperately trying to be from somewhere else. Somewhere country i suppose.

There's a open frankness in most GP songs that can move you, i've not heard anything to some close to it in an irish country musician. I'm not saying it's not there, only that i haven't heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

dh2007 wrote: »

Martin Staunton Band
    Bray Vista
    Prison Love

I want to hear this band for the name alone!

Sounds like the kind of band Otis Lee Crenshaw would be in :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Michael English - the new Daniel O Donnell - seems to be doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Moved from Equestrian.

Whoah, I know he's new to the forum but how the hell?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Similar to the poster above, I'd usually prefer Contemporary American Country to Irish country, but I've got to defend The "Country & Irish" against stuff like this:
    Zaph wrote: »
    Well if you're 18 and like Big Tom and Margo then the answer to your question is yes, you are alone. Never heard of the other guys but that sort of music is a feckin' abomination and an offence to all right minded music lovers.

There's LOTS of stuff that's an abomination for right-minded music lovers, and lots of it is played daily on radio; pseudo R&B / chart, so-called boy and girl "bands", most of the rubbish played in mainstream clubs and used as ring-tones, etc.

Yes, there's plenty of ****e in most genres, but to write off a whole genre when for some explicable reason equally bad genres are accepted, is a little unfair.

I was passing a function room that had a C&I gig at the weekend, and I stuck my nose in; it was packed!!!! And - unlike the supposedly "cool" clubs and venues, the dancefloor was full - of sober people - who were actually dancing! None of the typical pissed/puking/whatever supposedly passes as dancing in nightclubs......it was amazing to see!

So while it definitely wouldn't be my first choice to listen to, it does look like a better class of night out/live show, and it's definitely at least as good as some of the ****e from Rihanna, Katie Perry, Westlife, Cascada, etc, that's made it into the supposed "top ten".

QUOTE Yes, there's plenty of ****e in most genres, but to write off a whole genre when for some explicable reason equally bad genres are accepted, is a little unfair.
    I was passing a function room that had a C&I gig at the weekend, and I stuck my nose in; it was packed!!!! And - unlike the supposedly "cool" clubs and venues, the dancefloor was full - of sober people - who were actually dancing! None of the typical pissed/puking/whatever supposedly passes as dancing in nightclubs......it was amazing to see! QUOTE QUOTE

I agree with the above post in so far as he says its unfair to write off a particular genre of music as rubbish even though having said that I would also be laying some blame for that firmly with some of the "chancers" who inhabit that particular planet of 3 chord tricks. There again Christy moore always admitted that he was limited with his guitar playing and it never did him any harm lol
    But some of the drivel that is played on radio both in the Irish country scene and pop as well, is the reason we are having this thread in the first place, Youngsters are hearing this stuff pumped out day after day and have the intelligence to decide for themselves these days.
    A complete generation in ireland back in the day was brought up on Big Tom and margo etc, and while I am not saying there is anything wrong with that and it brought pleasure to a certain amount of people, I still feel that there was certain element of brain washing crept in , as most of the people who followed that track would never listen to any other genre of music and still have tunnell vision to this day. While the poster above has admitted that it would not be his particular favoutite style of music he has still defended it as a genre, which is more than the dancers and jivers would do to other genres in my opiniion. The irish country crowd are set in their ways!! But, having said that we should live and let live and they are hurting no one!! Just my opinion!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

So the general consensus seems to be:

American Country Music can be good.
    Most Irish Country Music is dreadful.

And I'd pretty much agree with that!

Having said that, Podge & Rodge are massive fans of Margo, so that might gain her some credibility among the youth of today! :P

Advertisement