Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Irish Country Music died with the youth of today??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

So the general consensus seems to be:

American Country Music can be good.
    Most Irish Country Music is dreadful.

And I'd pretty much agree with that!

Having said that, Podge & Rodge are massive fans of Margo, so that might gain her some credibility among the youth of today! :P

Dunno about that ,I think they just bring people on there to take the piss
    Having said that i saw charlie mcGettigan on there a few weeks back and he is a a legend!!
    Joe dolan was a legend as well but never sang slushy songs like some of the irish showbands did. Although now that i think about it not all the showbands were crap either and there was some good players around then.
    Its the part timers who came along afterwards and started releasing all sorts of drivel about cows dying and donkeys leavin home -or was it the other way round!!
    But seriously -there were some awful songs played on the countries radio stations and the standard was dreadful.
    We have some excellent talent in Ireland and songwriters who would outshine some of the best around the world.
    Lets be hearing more of them and less of the other!
    Just my opinion!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm not an expert on Irish country but, for me, the best Irish country music is the original stuff, not sh1tty covers of American stuff.

There have been some good tunes down through the years: Pretty Little Girl From Omagh, Dungarvan Oak, Four Country Roads, Past The Point Of Rescue etc etc etc. This stuff is what Irish Country is all about and why it's so popular among certain cross-sections. There will always be a place for this type of music.

Ardent wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on Irish country but, for me, the best Irish country music is the original stuff, not sh1tty covers of American stuff.

There have been some good tunes down through the years: Pretty Little Girl From Omagh, Dungarvan Oak, Four Country Roads, Past The Point Of Rescue etc etc etc. This stuff is what Irish Country is all about and why it's so popular among certain cross-sections. There will always be a place for this type of music.

:cool:
    Not sure Mick Hanley would appreciate his international hit song being listed here and called Irish country?? LOL
    It was number 1 around the world for Hal Ketchum for a record number of weeks/months and mary black also recorded it as did a lot of country artists around the globe
    The rest are definitely Irish and recorded only by Irish country artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

How can you not rock out to stuff like this!

Now your suckin Diesel!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

2 seconds into that video it tells you it's not country music. Big big difference between country and western and trad. I'm a fan of neither but they are worlds apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has Irish Country Music died with the youth of today??

We can only hope so.

lordgoat wrote: »
    2 seconds into that video it tells you it's not country music. Big big difference between country and western and trad. I'm a fan of neither but they are worlds apart.

Its certainly not trad either
    Its a tune/song called Shoe the Donkey which has been adapted by the country .irish brigade who like to dance to it
    this man is playing it on the box but its popular with shownbands as well I believe

very popular in bundoran dancehalls even to this very day:cool:

rusty999 wrote: »
    Its certainly not trad either
    Its a tune/song called Shoe the Donkey which has been adapted by the country .irish brigade who like to dance to it
    this man is playing it on the box but its popular with shownbands as well I believe

very popular in bundoran dancehalls even to this very day:cool:

How is it that not traditional?

Now this is Irish country (performed by a Canadian!), check out the mad rockers in the front row:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mixedup wrote: »
    i'm a country music fan...in a big way..but irish country music..is godawful...

but i could live happy in nashville or memphis...thats how it should sound!

the man speaketh the truth.

American country music is the best country music ever. Who I've been listening to a lot lately is shooter jennings, obviously the son of Waylon Jennings and I must say the man is a legend already.
    Youtube his songs, old friend and it aint easy. Bleeding great music. DOes a great cover of walk of life aswell.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »

American country music is the best country music ever. Who I've been listening to a lot lately is shooter jennings, obviously the son of Waylon Jennings and I must say the man is a legend already.
    Youtube his songs, old friend and it aint easy. Bleeding great music. DOes a great cover of walk of life aswell.

Cheers for the heads up! Just bought It Ain't Easy off iTunes and am checking out his album The Wolf. I like what I hear so far.

Cheers for the heads up! Just bought It Ain't Easy off iTunes and am checking out his album The Wolf. I like what I hear so far.

No worries bud. Get the whole album you will be very happy with your purchase. I turned on the album to have an ould listen to one or two songs after posting about him now Im staying up to listen to the rest of the album. I was gonna post another one or two go songs from the album but every single one of them is great.
    A matter of time is very Waylony if ya know what I mean. The whole album is, omg I cant shut up about the thing now, godammit.
    Hopefully he does as good as Hank Williams Jr did, pretty big shoes to fill but Hank done it.

Woo hoo to shooter.

seanybiker wrote: »

And check out Brad paisley --excellent songs and singer

rusty999 wrote: »
    And check out Brad paisley --excellent songs and singer
    Cheers will give him a listen when im on computer

How is it that not traditional?

Now this is Irish country (performed by a Canadian!), check out the mad rockers in the front row:

Definitely not traditional in the trad sense although the melody is what they call a barn dance in some places

Don't think the singer of Waited for you is a canadian though
    Robert Mizzell was born in Louisiana, USA and now lives in Ireland

Advertisement