Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewal for Car Insurance

Options
  • 03-05-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    havent posted here before but just have a quick query about car insurance renewal, which might interest or annoy? depending?

I got my car insurance renewal during the week, full no claims discount (which i have had for a couple of years now) claims free, same car. But yet my insurance premium has gone up €100. Called them but they say premiums are going up accross the board.

Has anyone else encountered this?, seemingly they went up in Jan.
    Hope this thread hasnt been done before, I'm a regular reader but not contributer and it was news to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

yup premiums have gone up for car insurance. Make sure you do a new quote with your current company, as new quotes are generally cheaper than renewal quotes.

Also shop around, and check out some brokers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I argued with my insurer over this, and ended up with my policy lowering slightly.

As Vengeance has said, make sure you shop around, and if you get a lower quote, get on to your current insurer and argue for an even lower quote for being loyal to them over the years.

little side note here; I had a sub €2k claim 2 years ago, and as a result Hibernian refused to quote me until they realised that we had other policies with them, at which point they quoted me twice my FBD quote. However, One Direct, who are underwritten by Hibernian, had no problem quoting me, and quoting me less than Hibernian!

The biscuit was taken by AXA, however, who refused to quote as my car is more than 4 years old! So, if it needs or has had an NCT, don't bother trying AXA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

L1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    havent posted here before but just have a quick query about car insurance renewal, which might interest or annoy? depending?

I got my car insurance renewal during the week, full no claims discount (which i have had for a couple of years now) claims free, same car. But yet my insurance premium has gone up €100. Called them but they say premiums are going up accross the board.

Hope this thread hasnt been done before, I'm a regular reader but not contributer and it was news to me.

Thanks

Got mine on Thursday, down by 50% to €480.00. Well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Judging by your username, you might just be too young for this, but http://www.30plus.ie/ mentioned here a few days ago seem ultra-cheap!

You must be over thirty, and your car must be completely standard. Even after-market alloys are not accepted.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

My mate had the same problem and called other insurances companies, AA gave it to him 300 less than the original company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

L1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Would the insurance co. start and end with 'A' by any chance.

I've heard of several people complaining of price hikes from them - if you haggle and threaten to go elsewhere with your business then they'll drop the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

begins with F and ends with D actually
    seemingly its due to a down turn in the economy. makes sense really,
    ripped off on the way up and ripped off on the way down

thanks all for replies

Advertisement