Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€9.99 HD-DVD Drive...

• 03-05-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Xtravision (here in Limerick) are selling the HD-DVD drive for less than a tenner!! It' nearly worth buying...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

defo worth buying considering how cheap hddvds are now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Which one, I'd buy asap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Xtravision on Ennis Road had 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I rang all around. All gone. Damn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There are some in Shannon, i bought one yesterday. Worth it for the media remote alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Can anyone confirm these are for sale in other Xtra-vision shops for €9.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Yes I got one in Xtra Vision Wexford today for €9.99. The girl said they had a few of them left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

balbriggan had never heard of them which is gay

might ring skerries tomorrow

would be worth the spin over anyway i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i picked up 2 in xtravision carpenterstown - worth it for the remote really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Can anyone confirm these are for sale in other Xtra-vision shops for €9.99?

Ye got one the other day in Xtra-Vision Celbridge for €9.99. Has the media remote in it as well which is about €20 to buy on its own. Gamestop had the offer as well but most are sold out,as are the Xtra-Visions now. There is a huge thread about it in the Bargain Alert forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Xtravision Ongar just sold out, dang it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

All Xtravisions in Waterford sold out :(.

Anyone want to sell me one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Sold out in Kilkenny Xtra-Vision too.:( However, she said there should be some more coming in for next weekend.

Got the last 2 in Xtravision Corbally last nite, €9.99 each... One was for a friend, other for me. Mine was used as a demo in the shop... Reason I know, I opened the disc drive to find Arrested Development Season 1 inside it!!!:D

So, HD DVD drive, Universal Media Remote and 7 episodes of Arrested Development for <€10... Yes please.

Now, where to buy HD DVD's online... with a laser card preferably!

By the way, thanks OP!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Now, where to buy HD DVD's online... with a laser card preferably!

Why dont you stock up on your Betamax collection too while you are at it?

The HD-DVD Format is, very much officially, dead. I would generally go against advising people from stocking up on it or any HD-DVD's. Particularly with the many rumours about the Blu-ray 360. The HD-DVD Add on seems like a decent way to get a cheaper Remote and very useful paper weight.

At that price Microsoft are really just getting rid of stock. I would get one JUST for the remote if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Its also a VERY cheap holdover for hi definition video until blue ray is available for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Winters wrote: »

You say that like its a bad thing, I'd love to get some betamax tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The HD-DVD Format is, very much officially, dead. I would generally go against advising people from stocking up on it or any HD-DVD's. Particularly with the many rumours about the Blu-ray 360. The HD-DVD Add on seems like a decent way to get a cheaper Remote and very useful paper weight.

At that price Microsoft are really just getting rid of stock. I would get one JUST for the remote if anything.

There's no doubt that it's dead but watching, say, Beowolf in HD costs a hell of a lot less than watching on Blu Ray. Obsolete, they may be, but they still be HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Its a tenner and some good hd-dvds are 7 euro on play.So you could get at least two good hd-dvds and the player for less than a single Blu-Ray. Seems good to me, well at least until Blu-Ray players begin to fall in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

bombidol wrote: »
    Its also a VERY cheap holdover for hi definition video until blue ray is available for us.

But it *is* available. There are many Blu-ray discs for sale in HMV and other outlets.

I am not going to say its not cheap, it is. But I wouldn't go around building up a massive collection of discs (even if they are only going to cost 10 or 15 euro each) as they are near worthless. Particularly if anything was to happen to the HD-DVD drive. Then you'd be just left with coasters.

The 9.99 pack is great value for what really is a decent remote, paper weight and coasters. Id get it just for that reason if I could find one, I was half tempted to buy the remote before, just not at its full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think what he means is until BluRay becomes available to 360 owners. There is no harm in building a big HD collection cos it will be a while until BluRay DVDs are available at the price they are now. When you don't want the HD DVDs you could put them on Adverts to sell them or trade them. Loads of people (on Boards) have bought a HD DVD add on lately to want to trade or buy HD DVDs off each other cos even Play.com are beginning to sell out of them.

Edit:Also the addon can be used more than a paperweight. I used it last night as a Region 3 DVD player. Pity about the noise out of it. Almost as bad as the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

But it *is* available. There are many Blu-ray discs for sale in HMV and other outlets.

I am not going to say its not cheap, it is. But I wouldn't go around building up a massive collection of discs (even if they are only going to cost 10 or 15 euro each) as they are near worthless. Particularly if anything was to happen to the HD-DVD drive. Then you'd be just left with coasters.

The 9.99 pack is great value for what really is a decent remote, paper weight and coasters. Id get it just for that reason if I could find one, I was half tempted to buy the remote before, just not at its full price.

People dont, well I dont anyway, buy dvds, hd-dvds included, for the investment value TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

in fairness it is a great deal; Serenity, The Big Lebowski and Shaun of the Dead, Remote (which works my TV) and a HD-DVD drive for 31 euro. If i watch them each twice i will have spent less than 3 euro an hour, happy days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

just picked up the last one in xtra vision ballybrack. your one said all gamestop stock of hddvds have been transferred to henry st. and she picked up a few at a tenner each.

Thanks OP, i wouldnt have known bout this if i hadnt seen this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

My pleasure lads, ironically I didn't pick one up myself, but I figured I'd spread the word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Is the remote that comes with the HD drive the full MCE one?

bretttp1 wrote: »
    Is the remote that comes with the HD drive the full MCE one?

It is indeed, complete with glow in the dark buttons... Nice :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone know anywhere that has one of these.Tried Gamestop,all the xtravision shops etc etc.

Or is anyone who picked up more than one willing to sell one to me for a profit?

***edit***Just got one in xtravision Sutton.I believe that Rush might have a couple left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

just after picking up the last 2 in xtra vision dalkey (for 2 mates). might be worth checking monkstown or shankill for anyone still looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Funny, if MS had sold the HD-DVD add on cheaply to start with, as in between €50 -€100, HD-DVD as a format might still be alive!! lol

Advertisement