Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€9.99 HD-DVD Drive...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

The HD-DVD drive is a bargin at this price, I dunno how anybody could possibly slate anybody for buying this, even if you ignore the main feature of it being a hd drive you get:

-A remote
    -An external dvd drive for you xbox thats quieter than the internal one
    -It also works with pcs apparently, so you can keep using it after your xbox craps out

As for the hd-dvd, theres already plenty of hd-dvds floating out there, the fact there wont be any more doesnt dimish quality, or the fact there selling for nothing. The only real problem with this is that when the drive dies your hd dvds are pretty much useless.

I reckon blueray might head the same way anyhow in the not too distant future (internet distribution or maybe a better format), what would be more of a waste, 10 bucks for a hd-dvd drive and 15 for videos, or 300 for a drive and 40 for the videos.

Ill be keeping my eye out for an xtravision, thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Woo! Found one in GameStop in Nenagh! Last one too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is there any one still in need of one of these as Ive ended up with 2 of them.

Got one in Xtravision in Sutton then a mate of mine got me one in Swords.

If anyone wants it post here and then send me a pm.
    The first person to post here and send a pm that can collect it in Swords can have it.
    It must be collected in Swords(earliest collection is Monday as my mates away till then and he has it in his job for me)
    Im not getting into posting or meeting up with anyone for this.

Whoever collects it will collect it off him and give him the cash.

It`ll cost you the 10 euros I paid for it--cant get fairer than that.

***edit*** Winters pm`d me so it looks like its gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hellrazer wrote: »

That is magnificent :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Winters wrote: »
    Why dont you stock up on your Betamax collection too while you are at it?

The HD-DVD Format is, very much officially, dead. I would generally go against advising people from stocking up on it or any HD-DVD's. Particularly with the many rumours about the Blu-ray 360. The HD-DVD Add on seems like a decent way to get a cheaper Remote and very useful paper weight.

At that price Microsoft are really just getting rid of stock. I would get one JUST for the remote if anything.
    Hellrazer wrote: »

Heh Heh Heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Eh .. as I have said in all my posts, I would gladly get the pack for the €30 remote that is in it should I be able to find one. I all ready have HD films should I want to watch films in HD. As I have said I do not see the point in forking out for HD-DVD's with the format officially dead and the limited number of films available to it (no more being produced).
    The 9.99 pack is great value for what really is a decent remote, paper weight and coasters. Id get it just for that reason if I could find one, I was half tempted to buy the remote before, just not at its full price.
    At that price Microsoft are really just getting rid of stock. I would get one JUST for the remote if anything.

ageary08 wrote: »
    -A remote
    -An external dvd drive for you xbox thats quieter than the internal one
    -It also works with pcs apparently, so you can keep using it after your xbox craps out
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot use the external HD-DVD drive to play games on, you are still bound to using the louder internal drive. However, if people are using the xbox as their main DvD player then I would suspect the quieter add-on to be a welcome addition for DvD playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I know that Xtravision in Fermoy have a few left if anyone down that way is stuck ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i got one last year in argos for 30 euro, which was the chepeast around at the time

but after getting two films, 300 and enter the dragon, im dissapointed

i cannot notice any difference.

but meh never know a day will come when ebay sells em for 99 pence

i bought these two for 4 euro of ebay btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

i got one last year in argos for 30 euro, which was the chepeast around at the time

but after getting two films, 300 and enter the dragon, im dissapointed

i cannot notice any difference.

but meh never know a day will come when ebay sells em for 99 pence

i bought these two for 4 euro of ebay btw

You need something more modern and not 300. That film uses a really heavy grain and lot's of effects, which believe it or not, is not the best for showin off your new HD DVD drive.

Planet Earth is your friend here! Also, I hear Transformers is great. Finally, are you 1080p or 720p? I've got 300, on a 720p panel and even my girlfriend "what's HD" noticed the difference!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

As I have said I do not see the point in forking out for HD-DVD's with the format officially dead and the limited number of films available to it (no more being produced).

All that means is that you wont be able to buy anymore hd-dvd's in the future, but right now you can buy and own hd films for cheap, much cheaper than buying them on blu-ray... I wouldnt call that forking out, i'd call it saving money if you're into buying hd content.

Also not to mention, I'll buy it just to have a quieter dvd drive that the standard 360 one.

In 10 years time if you've bought a film on hd-dvd, you'll still have that film on hd-dvd regardless of blu ray being the primary format... and sure in the end digital downloads are the way to go imo. Having all your hd films on an external harddrive is superior to having a bunch of discs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I know that Xtravision in Fermoy have a few left if anyone down that way is stuck ...

Thanks for the info, picked up what they had left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

a bit ot but since most of you have bought one of the hd drives do you notice much difference in movies? I can understand recent movies looking better but the likes of 2001:space odessy, would there be any really difference. If so ill hut down one of these but if not pretty pointless for me. Boardses guide me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There would be a difference for the simple reason is that the 35mm (or whatever) they use is a much higher resolution that even the HD-DVD and Blu Ray movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

mine feckin died half way trough the first movie i tried now wont play anything Gamestop better have some left as I have a sh1t load of movies in the post. I wonder if it comes to it can I send this back to MS for replace / repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

bennyc wrote: »
    mine feckin died half way trough the first movie i tried now wont play anything Gamestop better have some left as I have a sh1t load of movies in the post. I wonder if it comes to it can I send this back to MS for replace / repair.

im actually hoping this happens to mine in about 9 mnts time.

i reckon by that stage there will be a blue-ray add-on for the xbox . maybe microsoft might replace it with one of them at that stage.

happened me with the older playstation i bought one of the mini ones towards the tail end of production . when it kicked the bucket sony replaced it with a brand new PS2 at the time.

maybe im being optimistice but either way its worth a tenner.

well I called MS and as GameStop had none left MS are taking it to Germany for three weeks holiday. So the Drive cost a tenner , is now going to cost MS 15-20 euro each way to ship and will I get a free months XBox Live outta them I wonder making this cost 3 euro ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Picked one up yesterday in Xtra-Vision Loughrea, was passing through last week and they had none, but they took my name and number and said they'd call around to a few other shops, then got a call this week saying there was one behind the desk waiting for me.:D

bennyc wrote: »

I just got a full replacement from MS all they wanted back was the drive so I have double conrols cables etc.

Now if I sell the second Remote on EBay I should get a tenner for it and break even:D

Advertisement