Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Early 7th Generation Celica

Options
  • 03-05-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I passed my driving test recently and was thinking of getting a sporty coupe. I have about €10k to spend. Was looking at the 7th gen celica(last one built) and like the car. But I can probably only afford a 00-02 with my budget. I hear that the early ones can burn oil due to damaged piston rings. Which I know is a big job to put right. Is it possible to check for this problem when looking at cars? If not should I just go for something different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Never heard of that problem with any Celica's??

A common problem with the 7th Gen celica was that the model before the 03 face lift had weaker lift bolts so it was always recommended to have these changed if you were buying a 99-02 Celica.

That only applies to the celicas with the vvtl-i engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

celica's are bulletproof like all toyota's buy one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That type of Celica was IIRC either the first or second Toyota with the now ubiquitous VVT-i system and the early versions of Toyota VVT-i engines were indeed noted for the symptoms the OP described. Apparently Toyota did fix all the faulty ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

tuxy wrote: »
    I passed my driving test recently and was thinking of getting a sporty coupe. I have about €10k to spend. Was looking at the 7th gen celica(last one built) and like the car. But I can probably only afford a 00-02 with my budget. I hear that the early ones can burn oil due to damaged piston rings. Which I know is a big job to put right. Is it possible to check for this problem when looking at cars? If not should I just go for something different?

Yeah heard this as well when I bought my Celica. Apartantly some of the VVTI engines burn oil. Think I heard somewhere that Toyota stand over the engines and pay for a replacement if they go bust.

I just check the oil level once a month in case .. no problems so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ya I heard Toyota would replace the engine on any of the cars that had this problem.
    But if the previous owner didn't get it fixed would Toyota still do it on a 8 - 9 year old car?

• Advertisement
Advertisement