Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing murder suspect can details be broadcasted on TV in Ireland

• 03-05-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hello.
    I am trying to find out if the photo, name and description of a murder suspect who is on the run can be broadcasted in the media in Ireland, specifically on the TV, Crimecall etc. I have been told that RTE would not entertain the idea because of litigation, just wondering if this is correct.

Cheers Spitzy

[snip]

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

No that would be incorrect only on the basis of correct procedure would such activity take place. The DPP etc. would have had to have taken the action and the alleged accused would have had to have fled.

In relation to RTE etc. Yes, there are valid issues in undertaking broadcast in such matters, particularly as you are presumed innocent under the Irish law.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Spitzy

So in short if the DPP decides not to make the details public, the suspect would remain at large as long as he stays away from the attention of the police as the public would not know he was wanted. Particularly galling if the suspect had features that were easily recognisable.

Cheers Spitzy

[snip]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why the facebook link?

If you don't like it just ignore it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It don't work that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They usually say "The gardai are looking for [a person] who may be able to assist them in their enquiries".

I did think there should be some wording which would not actually declare that the suspect was guilty. So it is possible for the police to do this? Just a case of getting them to agree to do it I guess.

Spitzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think that such a statement may prejudice the right to a fair trial by contaminating the jury pool.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I think that such a statement may prejudice the right to a fair trial by contaminating the jury pool.
    Perish the thought.
    In the case I am referring to I guess we will have to wait for the suspect to murder someone else, hopefully in a country where the police are not afraid to do anything in case of being sued:mad: And where the victims and their families have at least equal rights to the murderers.
    Thanks all for your replies
    Spitzy

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm too tired and/or drunk to figure out what this thread is about but there's no need to link facebook profiles in this forum and I have the wherewithall to identify that much at least.

I won't issue a second warning on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Spitzy wrote: »
    Hello.
    I am trying to find out if the photo, name and description of a murder suspect who is on the run can be broadcasted in the media in Ireland, specifically on the TV, Crimecall etc. I have been told that RTE would not entertain the idea because of litigation, just wondering if this is correct.

Cheers Spitzy

[snip]

I read up on your article and I am sorry that you have to do so much of this on your own. There should not be this hardship for getting justice. It seem's the crime scene was compromised and because of this the gardai have expressed concerns with getting the suspect extradited. I think the gardai should have racked their brains and figured out how to organise a warrant or bench warrant. Perhaps somehow getting a witness suphoena issued and then getting a bench warrant. It's not rocket science, and the manner in which this person has absconded by faking their sucicide after such a crime makes it more feasible to get such a warrant.

In any event a person has several possibilities. A person could wait 7 years until the individual is declared legally deceased, and then launch a public campaign, as their is no defamation laws after a person is dead.

One could launch a campaign and treat this person as a missing person ( wanted in connection with something). If you want to find someone your entitled to try by any means. I would class this person as MISSING. You could try get the gardai to put the photo in the MISSING section. This gives you coverage and then you can publish the photo.

Crimeline should not have any problem in announcing this person as missing considering the circumstances. Many person -while not in such suspicious and nefarious circumstances -have had belongings found at cliff faces and have never been heard of again. These people have Missing photos everywhere.

The excuses that the crime scene was comprimised or the fact that this person has faked their suicide is no excuse for letting an injustice or crime against your sister be overlooked. Condolences for your loss, although it is up to the gradai and interpol to also find a solution. You have probably already written to a TD or it's possible they expresed their condolences. Some political pressure is needed and there is no excuse for failing to investigate a crime because of some mubo jumbo about a comprimised crime scene.

If it was arson the invidual comprimised the crime scene. Can the gardai not seek the person for questioning. Is that not a good platfrom to launch a missing persons hunt.

Best of luck.

I'm too tired and/or drunk to figure out what this thread is about.
    Dont drink and moderate in a public forum.

Many thanks for your reply pirelli. I will run this past the police and see what they say, I don't hold out much hope though. It seems that they just want to sit back and wait for him to appear! There is a new superintendent at the station which is investigating the crime the 4th since the murder 3 years ago! I went to see him on my last visit to ireland on the 8th of May this year, he seems to be a bit more on the ball. We had given the last super some important information which needed looking into a year ago but nothing had been done at all, this one has rung me to let me know that he is actively looking into the information we have given him so it's an improvment at least. I think he knows I will not let up and will visit him every year on the anniversary of the murder to keep the pressure on. He also knows that I am spreading the work about the suspect via the net off my own back.
    Thanks again
    Spitzy

Advertisement