Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick NCT Questions.....

Options
  • 03-05-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

My VW Bora has it's NCT tomorrow. So I'm gonna bring it up and get the list of what needs to be done :D I haven't opened the bonnet in over a year :rolleyes: I'll probably stretch to a quick 'lights & levels' check beforehand.

Do I still need to remove the wheel trims first? Do I need to remove child seats?

I know I need to have all the seat belts and stalks on view, but aside from that, any other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yep, hubcaps off. Pretty sure child seats need to be out too, to allow seat belts to be checked. They recommend not having much in the boot, so the spare is accessible for checking.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote: »
    They recommend not having much in the boot, so the spare is accessible for checking.

Sh1t! I can't really get at the spare due to some audio equipment. It'd didn't cause a problem with the last NCT. The wheel is visible - just about. It's the original spare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I could easily be wrong on that. It's a while since I did an NCT....;)

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

All wheel nuts must be visible - i.e. take off any hubcaps.

Leave the child seat at home, they'll fail you if it's incorrectly fitted - they won't fail you if it's not there.

They'll inspect the spare so if it's difficult to get to because of audio it may be a problem.

I always fasten all the seat belts before I get there, a friend of mine failed because the centre belt recepticle had disappeared between the seat and the fold-down back.

Make sure all levels are topped up - esp. window washer (easy one to overlook).

Good luck...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Spare wheel isn't part of the NCT unless its a private hire vehicle or taxi. Otherwise just check lights and levels, make sure inside outside are reasonably clean and take your chances...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what they look for
    www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If when you turn the car on it says its due a service, but after you start the engine the service indicator goes away i.e. its just a reminder, will you get failed for that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Spare wheel isn't part of the NCT unless its a private hire vehicle or taxi. Otherwise just check lights and levels, make sure inside outside are reasonably clean and take your chances...

A defective spare wheel a not a "fail", however AFAIK they need to be able to to inspect it if fitted and advise the owner if it's defective.
    Tails142 wrote: »
    If when you turn the car on it says its due a service, but after you start the engine the service indicator goes away i.e. its just a reminder, will you get failed for that?

No, that's not a fail - it may draw additional scrutiny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The spare is not part of the test. However the boot floor, spare wheel well etc. will be examined for structural integrity, that's why the boot should be reasonably clear.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

It failed on only one item - n/s/r headlamp aim is too high. An easy fix.

I left the child seats in too and engaged the seat belts around the front of the childseats which are ISOFIX and don't require seatbelts.

No comment passed on the spare wheel, they didn't even lift the boot carpet. No comment passed either regarding my 8 year old, barely legal tyres on the back - 50k miles and still original! I might as well have these replaced while I'm getting the headlamps aimed.

Once again, thanks for the advice and tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

crosstownk wrote: »
    I haven't opened the bonnet in over a year :rolleyes:

Thats commpletely disgraceful.

What about your washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil? Do you never check any of these?

PaulKK wrote: »
    Thats commpletely disgraceful.

What about your washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil? Do you never check any of these?

Embarrassingly, no. However, I don't drive this car, my wife does. Maybe I should have been clearer, the bonnet has been opened while with my mechanic - but I never go near it unless a warning light says otherwise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PaulKK wrote: »
    Thats commpletely disgraceful

Hi Caveman Paul :)

Back in the day, one needed to check these things. I remember it well as I am quite old myself and I started driving in the mid 80s
    crosstownk wrote: »
    I never go near it unless a warning light says otherwise.....

Proper order. Computer will tell when something is wrong.

Advertisement