Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the boundary between Ballymun and Glasnevin

Options
  • 03-05-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Looking at houses in 'Glasnevin'. Willow Park to be exact. It's close enough to Ballymun for me to wonder what is the actual address. The vendor obviously has it advertised as Glasnevin.

According to this Irish Times article the boundary is at Glasnevin Avenue. In the other corner, this Sunday Tribune article states explicitly that Willow Park is in Glasnevin North.

For an investment of this size, the truth to the matter is an important factor.

Which is correct, and is what is the best way to validate for sure ? Is there any official government source that will answer this definitively ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emmie-lou

i live in willow park and i would call it glasnevin..i think it was ballymun once but then the people got very snobby and started to call it glasnevin....the willows pub was once the ballymun house..glasnevin avenue was ballymun avenue...its a bit of both....when i tell people im from glasnevin they tell me where i live is ballymun....when i say im from ballymun people tell me its glasnevin....sometimes its even finglas?!!?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

thanks emmie-lou. I've done some further reading and found the same as you say. Seems nobody wants to be known as living in Ballymun in this area !

Aside from the name - how do you find the area. How long have you lived there ? What is your general experience of the area from a community and people perspective. Any comments you have would be most useful.

Oh, and whats the Autobahn like as a watering-hole ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The reality is that the whole area used to be known as Ballymun until the towers went up. Anywhere named Glasnevin North is historically Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

jdivision wrote: »
    The reality is that the whole area used to be known as Ballymun until the towers went up. Anywhere named Glasnevin North is historically Ballymun.

I totally agree with this view. But some better explanation is required. The Irish state is legally divided into Regions, Counties and then Electoral Divisions. There are also townlands but their legal weight is under dispute constantly, and though i cannot remember when it happened there were some landmark placename disputes in the past where the townland has come up as something thats "optional" especially in new urban areas.

Therefore in your case we revert to Electoral Divisions. Half of Willow Park Road, All of Willow Park Crescent, All of WP Lawn, WP Close, belong to Ballymun Ward F. Willow Park Avenue, Grove and Drive and the other half of Willow Park Road belong in Ballymun Ward E.

And in conclusion you and your neighbours might not like to hear it but you live in Ballymun, not "historically" but today. Ballymun is changing, be proud of that change and respect the heritage and history of the place by using the proper address. You should also note that the lack of a decent post-code system, plus years of non-enforcement of various postal Acts by An Post has meant that you get away with writing "Glasnevin" on your address. As a tester post yourself a card with "Ballymun" on it and you will still recieve the post. In Germany it is an offence to willfully write an incorrect address and such post is often not delivered.

Hope this helps.

m_stan wrote: »
    thanks emmie-lou. I've done some further reading and found the same as you say. Seems nobody wants to be known as living in Ballymun in this area !

Aside from the name - how do you find the area. How long have you lived there ? What is your general experience of the area from a community and people perspective. Any comments you have would be most useful.

Oh, and whats the Autobahn like as a watering-hole ? :)

i dont mind calling where i live ballymun.....well im going on 18 so ill give you a young persons view on it...i find the area fine ive had no trouble of any kind during the day or at night...i have great neighbours really friendly....we used to have street parties and everything when i was younger god i miss those days :D....theres 2 bus routes the 19 and 19a which come every 10-15 mins so gettin into town is no problem...and the autobahn is a nice spot, nice people, good atmosphere and theres a disco bar upstairs which is good an the weekends but ive only been there a few times...my sister and her mates love it and they are 22-24 so its moreso for than age group....any other questions and i will gladly answer them...:)

• Advertisement

emmie-lou wrote: »
    i dont mind calling where i live ballymun.....well im going on 18 so ill give you a young persons view on it...:)

Well, that's mature for a 17 yo, hopefully age will not callous you and make you want to exclude the estate from its rightful place in Ballymun district!

Well, that's mature for a 17 yo, hopefully age will not callous you and make you want to exclude the estate from its rightful place in Ballymun district!

if im being honest though if i was out and anyone asked me where i was from i would always say glasnevin just out of habit.....i have nothing against ballymun and the odd time i would say ballymun i would be told no thats glasnevin...its a no win situation...the younger people in the area are starting to call it finglas dont know where they got that notion from......ballyfinglasnevin is what i will reply in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Dubs, ye never change. Spent a lot of time in college listening to them argue where Raheny ended and Kilbarrack began :)

blastman wrote: »
    Dubs, ye never change. Spent a lot of time in college listening to them argue where Raheny ended and Kilbarrack began :)

This is why its dangerous to allow culchies work in organisations like Ordnance Survey and The Department of Environment because you'd allow anywhere be anywhere. "Ah yeah begorrah, Glasnevin, twill do twill do, somewhere there in Dubland, now where's me Bacon and Prates?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SnoopyDogDog

This is why its dangerous to allow culchies work in organisations like Ordnance Survey and The Department of Environment because you'd allow anywhere be anywhere. "Ah yeah begorrah, Glasnevin, twill do twill do, somewhere there in Dubland, now where's me Bacon and Prates?"

only in dublin would you get a public park for development, right in the triangle of Ballymun, Finglas and Glasnevin (top of the Jamestown Road opposite FAS) and call it D9! its about a mile from the nearest Dublin 9 address.

Also, all of the Willow area is Glasnevin North. Poppintree Park is Ballymun and the Park is the boundary. strangely enough - you go to that roundabout I mentioned and which ever direction you go you can be in Ballymun, Finglas, Glasnevin or St Margarets!

i have friends living in the heart of Blanch and they call it Castleknock.

all this is for is to get the prices of houses up depending on the area you say you are.

i live in ballymun so i know the are fairly well

• Advertisement

only in dublin would you get a public park for development, right in the triangle of Ballymun, Finglas and Glasnevin (top of the Jamestown Road opposite FAS) and call it D9! its about a mile from the nearest Dublin 9 address.

Also, all of the Willow area is Glasnevin North. Poppintree Park is Ballymun and the Park is the boundary. strangely enough - you go to that roundabout I mentioned and which ever direction you go you can be in Ballymun, Finglas, Glasnevin or St Margarets!

i have friends living in the heart of Blanch and they call it Castleknock.

all this is for is to get the prices of houses up depending on the area you say you are.

i live in ballymun so i know the are fairly well

Yeah, what you are saying about selectivity bears out my point. Repect Daaawg. i always wanted to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think they were made get rid of that claim.

Advertisement